Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guy's

I want to ask, seeing as they are launching this Classic emulation software, will it run Tom Tom 6? According to Tom Tom's website, version 6 will run on: Treo 650, Treo 700W, Treo 750V, Treo 680.

So am i right in saying the palm Pre through Classic will also run Tom Tom fine?
    This is a big deal for me but it will also mean the Classic software to support bluetooth for me to use my bluetooth receiver, does this Classic emulation software support bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    Hi Guy's

I want to ask, seeing as they are launching this Classic emulation software, will it run Tom Tom 6? According to Tom Tom's website, version 6 will run on: Treo 650, Treo 700W, Treo 750V, Treo 680.

So am i right in saying the palm Pre through Classic will also run Tom Tom fine?
    This is a big deal for me but it will also mean the Classic software to support bluetooth for me to use my bluetooth receiver, does this Classic emulation software support bluetooth?
    I believe Classic does not have access to the GPS chip on the Pre. So no, you won't be able to use it.
  3.    #3  
    Yes but will the Classic emulator access the bluetooth? If it does then I can use my Bluetooth GPS receiver on my keychain.
    The OP is asking whether Classic can use bluetooth to connect to his own GPS receiver, not the built in GPS chip.

I think that's a question for the developers of Classic, since they'll have to test it regardless of whether it *should* work.
    I think I remember reading that it can't access Bluetooth either, but I'm not sure.
  6.    #6  
    Hmmm, well I'll live in hope LOL. It doesn't seem like anyone is in a rush to convert their Sat Nav software to WebOS. I see CoPilot has only been tested on Android.
    why F with Tom Tom when you got built in modern GPS?
    MotionApps: More detailed and technical QA about Classic

Q: Will Classic integrate into the webOS device hardware and to what extent?

A: The ability of Classic to integrate with underlying hardware is limited. This means that Classic will not be able to access Bluetooth, wireless modem (phone radio), GPS, light sensors or accelerometer (nor the IR port – because there isn’t any on Pre). One exception to this is the network access which is fully supported. Also, there are some other hardware integration points in Classic: for example a PalmOS application can obtain IMEI, IMSI, ESN and similar identifiers from the modem, device’s serial number and some other information that is typically used by many PalmOS applications for purposes of product registration and licensing. This is done through a standard PalmOS APIs, just like on real PalmOS hardware.
    Classic should be a last resort. the only people i can think of that have a legitimate excuse to use Classic are MDs that need to use Epocrates in lieu of a WebOS version. what other app is that critical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Classic should be a last resort. the only people i can think of that have a legitimate excuse to use Classic are MDs that need to use Epocrates in lieu of a WebOS version. what other app is that critical?
    Documents to Go, but considering that there's no HotSync, it's a completely moot point (what good is its fantastic syncing capability if you can't use it?).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why F with Tom Tom when you got built in modern GPS?
    Because I use my current phone with turn by turn voice instruction directions through Tom Tom when I'm in my car. Google Maps is pretty useless for car Sat Nav. I don't use it enough really to warrant a permanent Sat Nav system.
    Any Sat Nav software would do, Tom Tom, Co Pilot, Route 66 etc. There on other smart phone platforms.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    MotionApps: More detailed and technical QA about Classic

Q: Will Classic integrate into the webOS device hardware and to what extent?

A: The ability of Classic to integrate with underlying hardware is limited. This means that Classic will not be able to access Bluetooth, wireless modem (phone radio), GPS, light sensors or accelerometer (nor the IR port – because there isn’t any on Pre). One exception to this is the network access which is fully supported. Also, there are some other hardware integration points in Classic: for example a PalmOS application can obtain IMEI, IMSI, ESN and similar identifiers from the modem, device’s serial number and some other information that is typically used by many PalmOS applications for purposes of product registration and licensing. This is done through a standard PalmOS APIs, just like on real PalmOS hardware.
    Yeah thanks buddy, I just found that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Documents to Go, but considering that there's no HotSync, it's a completely moot point (what good is its fantastic syncing capability if you can't use it?).
    we don't know that for sure yet, silly. either way, you can do drag and drop or use windows briefcase via USB cable to sync your MS Word/Excel docs. simple and easy.
    Because I use my current phone with turn by turn voice instruction directions through Tom Tom when I'm in my car. Google Maps is pretty useless for car Sat Nav. I don't use it enough really to warrant a permanent Sat Nav system.
    Any Sat Nav software would do, Tom Tom, Co Pilot, Route 66 etc. There on other smart phone platforms.
    Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 360 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Text-To-Speech: Electronics
  15.    #15  
    That's exactly what I DON'T want. Why have yet another device, I have a keychain GPS that out performs most dedicated units, just want the software on the pre?
    It comes with Sprint navigation with turn by turn directions.

Just use that. I use it with my Curve currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

exactly. and if you want a separate unit for the car, just buy a $143 Garmin Nuvi.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

That would be a very good solution, unfortunately I live in the UK, we don't have Sprint.
    I don't think any of the UK operators offer there own Sat Nav solutions. That's pretty good that Sprint do
    Ohhhhh

Well then, I can not help you there haha. Maybe Vodaphone or whoever picks it up out there will have a navigation app with it.
    That would be a very good solution, unfortunately I live in the UK, we don't have Sprint.
    I don't think any of the UK operators offer there own Sat Nav solutions. That's pretty good that Sprint do
    Hopefully by the time the Pre is available over there there'll be a GPS navigation application for yay.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast