Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    All these comments seem to think that web-reliant GPS is "real" or "modern" GPS but it is in fact poor-man's GPS. You are TOTLALLY dependent on the phone connection for all your data. Lose your phone connection, and it is good by GPS functionality. I use TOM TOM on my Palm 680 and would like badly to switch to something newer, but as new as they are, they all represent a step backwards when they use web-reliant so-called GPS.
    Are you sure? I have not tried http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html. Does that explain that there would be a full GPS on board?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    The have an iphone app for North America and the maps for their devices and phones have always been interchangable. I have used Tom Tom for years on Palm and standalone.
    Europe and North America
    That would be fantastic news. By interchangable, do you mean that I can transfer my modern win mobile map to my Treo or to my Pre? (Pre: TomTom on Classic but no GPS yet) If not, between which devices are maps interchangable?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Tomtom offers navigation app for iPhone, that's true.
    That doesn't make webOS navigation app any closer to reality, unfortunately.
    There just isn't enough webOS devices a firm like Tomtom would see the effort of porting the software into webOS worthwhile, I think. Of course, unless there was a Pre enthusiast in Tomtom's management...

I made a bet and tried Navigator 6 on my Pre. With some tweaking I got the software up and running and everything worked nicely. Except GPS, as mentioned earlier in this thread. So not a great achievement, really.
    Any hope Motionapps would make/have Pre's GPS accessible from inside Classic?
    Another depressing fact is that newest maps for Navigator 6 are from 2007. Anyone tried Navigator 7 maps if they worked with Navigator 6 ? Tomtom states that isn't possible, though.
    Last edited by Lemstil; 01/15/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    There just isn't enough webOS devices a firm like Tomtom would see the effort of porting the software into webOS worthwhile, I think. Of course, unless there was a Pre enthusiast in Tomtom's management...

I made a bet and tried Navigator 6 on my Pre. With some tweaking I got the software up and running and everything worked nicely. Except GPS, as mentioned earlier in this thread. So not a great achievement, really.
    Another depressing fact is that newest maps for Navigator 6 are from 2007. Anyone tried Navigator 7 maps if they worked with Navigator 6 ? Tomtom states that isn't possible, though.
    The major reason I gave up my Treo was that more and more people were declining to provide updates in PalmOS. I had a stand alone TomTom and the Treo with TomTom. I wasn't able to get updated maps for my Treo and getting lost with old maps doesn't feel any better than getting lost with no maps.

Thanks to SprintNav, the maps are up-to-date. Unfortunately, that won't help me if I can't get a signal or I'm out of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post

So the TomTom navi 6 program works, but not in sync with the built in GPS? How did you get the program to work? I have an external GPS receiver and was thinking if I would be able to connect my palm pre plus to that. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmd View Post
    I have an external GPS receiver and was thinking if I would be able to connect my palm pre plus to that. Thanks
    I can't speak for TomTom, but I recently tried the same approach by loading Delorme Street Atlas in Classic. I was unable to make a connection to my Bluetooth GPS receiver. Otherwise, the software appeared functional, in that I could open maps, pan & zoom, etc. I think this is what the earlier poster was talking about when referring to "got the software up and running".

I don't know where the difficulty is in establishing a BT connection on the Pre, and passing that through to a PalmOS app in Classic, but since the Pre doesn't even allow file transfer to/from a PC via BT, it looks like an uphill battle for Classic.

Regards,
    Tom
    I misplaced (sorry) a post with the tweaking, really just place the tomtom files in the right directories, seeTomTom files locations for Classic

I also approached Classic about the GPS or BlueTooth connection. They answered that they could not reach/connect BT out of classic, but they had more requests for BT. Wonder whether that problem is still there for Classic 2.0 though.

Anybody that knows a good reference how to write/get a serial driver on PalmOS for the Treo? Perhaps that could be used as a patch to connect to BT or GPS on the Pre webOS side.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I can't speak for TomTom, but I recently tried the same approach by loading Delorme Street Atlas in Classic. I was unable to make a connection to my Bluetooth GPS receiver. Otherwise, the software appeared functional, in that I could open maps, pan & zoom, etc. I think this is what the earlier poster was talking about when referring to "got the software up and running".

I don't know where the difficulty is in establishing a BT connection on the Pre, and passing that through to a PalmOS app in Classic, but since the Pre doesn't even allow file transfer to/from a PC via BT, it looks like an uphill battle for Classic.

Regards,
    Tom
    I hope they find out that problem. I'm getting a bit tired relying on my old Treo 700p for my Tom Tom GPS!
    Last edited by cpmd; 02/01/2010 at 01:32 PM.
  9. hso
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    That's exactly what I DON'T want. Why have yet another device, I have a keychain GPS that out performs most dedicated units, just want the software on the pre?
    I feel exactly the same. Just would like it to work as it did with my palm treo 680, tomtom 6 software and an external GPS antenna... Would the Tomtom 6, under Classic, use the internal GPS antenna of pre...?
    Just tried running TomTom v6.010 (7630) in Classic 2.1.2 (latest at the moment) with no luck connecting to internal gps, nor an external bluetooth gps. TomTom does load and calculates routes very quickly compared to my old Treo 650.

Pre has ebag333's GPS settings applied as well.

Sound/Voice works by enabling audio in Classic (Options > Preferences > Emulator Mode to 'Normal').
    Last edited by opacityzero; 03/14/2010 at 01:38 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234