Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    That would be a very good solution, unfortunately I live in the UK, we don't have Sprint.
    I don't think any of the UK operators offer there own Sat Nav solutions. That's pretty good that Sprint do
    uhhhhhhh arent you kind of jumping the gun cart before the horse? no Sprint = No Pre for a while.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    uhhhhhhh arent you kind of jumping the gun cart before the horse? no Sprint = No Pre for a while.
    I don't know about you, but I think this forum has been jumping the gun for a few months now.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    uhhhhhhh arent you kind of jumping the gun cart before the horse? no Sprint = No Pre for a while.
    Er , no not really why? It has been announced Palm are VERY close to finishing talks with European operators to carry the Pre and sell it. Europe is a massive market, I fully expect the Pre to be launched in Europe not that long after the US launch, it will need to, it needs the sales and in Europe there is a LOT of competition from the iPhone and Android and WinMo and Symbian.

    Why do you assume that just because Sprint isn't in Europe that it means Europe won't get the Pre?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    Why do you assume that just because Sprint isn't in Europe that it means Europe won't get the Pre?
    Everyone's just cranky. We've been waiting 5 months since finding out Pre would be on Sprint, you can wait just as long or longer. humf
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    Er , no not really why? It has been announced Palm are VERY close to finishing talks with European operators to carry the Pre and sell it. Europe is a massive market, I fully expect the Pre to be launched in Europe not that long after the US launch, it will need to, it needs the sales and in Europe there is a LOT of competition from the iPhone and Android and WinMo and Symbian.

    Why do you assume that just because Sprint isn't in Europe that it means Europe won't get the Pre?
    Palm already had the Sprint deal nailed down before they even revealed the Pre - once the get married up with a European carrier, then they're going to have to get the Pre tested and certified with the network, and... oh yeah, they've got to build the Pre in mass quantities, and right now I imagine they're pretty much focused on pumping out enough CDMA Pre phones for Sprint.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why F with Tom Tom when you got built in modern GPS?
    Sprint Navigation is ****, thats why. Tom Tom is WAY better and Mobile XT better still.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    why F with Tom Tom when you got built in modern GPS?
    ...because the built-in GPS app is network dependent and if you lose data connection or in a bad signal area you're outta luck..

    ...because some people (like me) already have TomTom mapping software, so I don't care about paying for Telenav...

    ...many reasons dude...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I don't care about paying for Telenav...
    It's included in the Everything Data and Simply Everything plan, so use it or not, with the pre you're going to have to pay for it.

    Fortunately I still have my garmin to use until I find out if telnav is better or not.

    Not working where there's no data signal means I definitely will have to keep my garmin.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    It's included in the Everything Data and Simply Everything plan, so use it or not, with the pre you're going to have to pay for it.

    Fortunately I still have my garmin to use until I find out if telnav is better or not.

    Not working where there's no data signal means I definitely will have to keep my garmin.
    That's assuming that I care about the Everything data plan. My current plan has everything the Everything Plan offers (except Telenav, which I don't care for since I have TomTom) for much less. *Before I get chewed out, it's not a sero plan*

    During the brief month I used a Touch Pro, I loaded on TomTom and it worked dandy. Played with the Telenav app (there was a trial period I got) and it was slow and laggy and worst of all I would lose data connection around town sometimes (which isn't unusual) or phone would drop into a 1xRTT (non EVDO) area. Just NOT reliable.

    Plus last year, I took my 700Wx (phone turned off ofcourse) to the U.K with my BT GPS receiver and TomTom Euro maps loaded on SD card.

    I hate to be a nag but Telenav has too many negatives to be useful to me unless i'm stationery and even at that, Google Maps would suffice.
  10. #30  
    Requiring a data connection to use the gps is definitely a deal breaker. The reason I bought a gps is to get me through the back woods in West Virginia on my road trips.
  11. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #31  
    It is also possible (likely in my opinion) that the Pre has aGPS instead of standalone GPS (like the 800w), which would require a network signal anyway.
  12. #32  
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't it allready shown that the pre had asisted gps AND standalone gps
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't it allready shown that the pre had asisted gps AND standalone gps
    I do believe that is the case.

    To those harping on the data connection - that's so you can use Sprint Nav, the maps are not stored on the device, so without a data connection, you get no maps (but you should still get a GPS lock).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    To those harping on the data connection - that's so you can use Sprint Nav, the maps are not stored on the device, so without a data connection, you get no maps (but you should still get a GPS lock).
    So there is no way to pre-cache maps then?
  15. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't it allready shown that the pre had asisted gps AND standalone gps
    I heard a guy say in a demo that it had both but he didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about. He said it uses the cell towers to get a faster lock, which is aGPS. Other than that I haven't heard anything. And at this point it doesn't matter because there is no software to use with the standalone GPS and I doubt there will be any anytime soon.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    So there is no way to pre-cache maps then?
    Afraid not. Though I have little doubt that there will eventually be a stand-alone GPS application.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I do believe that is the case.

    To those harping on the data connection - that's so you can use Sprint Nav, the maps are not stored on the device, so without a data connection, you get no maps (but you should still get a GPS lock).
    ...hence this thread. Seeing as Sprint Nav is the only turn by turn app for the Pre at the moment (which requires a data connection to route you), it is a negative to some. Ever tried using TeleNav (Sprint Nav) in an area with a weak EVDO signal or no signal at all? I have, it sucks.

    Hopefully, folks like Co-Pilot or TomTom will get onboard WebOS in the future. Even if they don't, i'll just make do with a cheapo standalone TomTom.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    ...hence this thread. Seeing as Sprint Nav is the only turn by turn app for the Pre at the moment (which requires a data connection to route you), it is a negative to some. Ever tried using TeleNav (Sprint Nav) in an area with a weak EVDO signal or no signal at all? I have, it sucks.

    Hopefully, folks like Co-Pilot or TomTom will get onboard WebOS in the future. Even if they don't, i'll just make do with a cheapo standalone TomTom.
    I have not - being the tech ***** that I am, ever since I replaced my Tungsten T3 I've had a standalone TomTom unit (currently the Go 930).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  19. #39  
    I'm with Merovingian on this one. Been using TomTom on my Treos back to the 650, and I have a cheaper "almost-everything" plan that I intend to keep.
  20. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Afraid not. Though I have little doubt that there will eventually be a stand-alone GPS application.
    I have a lot of doubts.
    1. The carriers don't want standalone apps, they want you to use their paid service.
    2. There is a lot of work to make an application for all of the phone OS's out there, and there is already a pretty good product to compete with (Telenav, Sprint Navigation).
    3. I would guess it's a very small market compared to their standalone units, not worth the investment.

    Down the road it may happen, but I would guess it will be a long way. The Iphone doesn't have any turn by turn navigation and they are about to bring out their third gen device.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions