Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's another article for discussion - for you healthcare professionals here:

Will doctors stick by Palm? | mobihealthnews
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Thanks for the article. As a physician, I can attest as to how smartphones have revolutionized the way we practice medicine. They have become a constant source of information in an ever changing field.
    Treo's have clearly been the most often seen unit, but blackberries and iphone's are now becoming more desired ( some 3rd party apps made palm os unstable). That said, I still see Palm being able to maintain and recapture what it may have lost with the medical community if the Pre comes out with epocrates available and 3rd party medical apps to follow soon.
    I'll probably be like Bill and jump aboard the Pre ship if and when it launches (GSM version for me).
    I pose this question as well (shameless plug ) here in my blog as a Poll
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #4  
    rbcmd - first of all, love the name and avatar. Secondly, I really hope that you would consider getting the Pre for your profession. I know that epocrates was one of the partners Palm introduced during CES back in January - so I'm sure there are plans to have medical apps work with the Pre. Being a programmer for EMR, I just love seeing doctors who are very tech-savvy such as yourself. Input from providers such as yourself help folks like us really enhance software for your needs. I look forward to seeing your review of the Pre and how/if you use it in your daily practice.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have every intention of using the Pre as my smartphone of choice for both work and home. I have accepted that epocrates is all I need to start, but as the WebOS platform seems to be an easy venue to program for (as per early reviews), I am confident alot of Apps will follow. My practice is going EMR as we speak (IMPAC- oncology specific) and I am excited to use the Pre's internet connectivity to access patient info while on thr go during weekend calls. Elaborate plans, I know- but a guy can dream can't he?
    @rbcmd - I'm very excited too about WebOS especially if it makes it easy for amateur physician coders like myself. I don't know if you use Haemoncrules, but WebOS has made me think of moving on from PalmOS. While waiting to see how easy (or difficult) WebOS programming is, at least I have taken the plunge to Webapp/Javascript and Haemoncrules will be ported over as OncoPDA, initally as a Webapp, but later hopefully as a standalone app for the Palm Pre. All this is borne out of necessity since we need it in our daily practice
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 04/20/2009 at 08:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Great site..just checked it out....and I look forward to incorporating your irreplaceable tools to the Pre
    I agree. As a long looong time palm user and depending on it to bill/charge capture, back up with an SD/ mini/micro SD/ whatever, I will be only looking for devices with ability to back up my day's work. This, due to its innate sensitivity, would preferably be local. I am all for the "cloud" when it comes down to connectivity and sharing/keeping up with contacts, but thats not the primary purpose of my PDA+phone.
    Hope Palm realizes this. There is a whole bunch of us Docs who actually helped "make" Palm what it is today.
    ICU RN soon to be NP student here.

I currently use an HTC Mogul running PEPID and epocrates.

Epocrates will likely be on the Pre at launch, and with a real and decent internet browser, I can get by with my medline account and my facility's uptodate account until more complete software solutions are available for it.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I'm also a doc, a community psychiatrist, actually, and hope to be making the jump from a PDA + phone to a smart phone. (I'll have to talk our IT guy into opening our Exchange server to the web.) We went live with a web-based EMR 12/1, but it would require JAVA in the browser, so that may not work, right? I agree that ePocrates sounds like it will be available Day 1, which is great news.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Oh no, the iPhone is in the lead
    Interesting thread as I am not a doctor.
    I love lolcats
    I am an OB/GYN and have been using Palm devices since the original Palm Pilot. The medical software and texts are indispensable. I use Epopcrates daily. Also PregTrak to monitor our patients. Looking forward to the Pre!
    PGY-2 Psychiatry here. Use Epocrates daily, in addition to a few other healthcare apps (MGH Neuro and MentSTAT). Classic takes care of a lot of my worries, but having native epocrates would be even better. Can't wait for the Pre. Multitasking, unified e-mail with EAS support and one-handed operation will be terrific. Been using Palm since, well...the Handspring Visor(phone).
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Ob Gyn here. Been using epocrates for years along with a few others. Love the palm os, and waiting for pre.
    As the IT Committee Chair for a 75 partner anesthesiology group I've been wanting to initiate electronic charge capture for a few years now. Our CEO is resistant - no one else is doing it. If any of you know a group who is I'd like to hear about them.
    A majority of our group members use some sort of medical application on their Treos/Centros, usually Epocrates but several others as well.
    I'll be switching over immediately upon release for two reasons:
    1. I'm fed up with the additional steps needed to do anything in WinMob when compared to FrankenGarnet
    2. Some poor sap has to evaluate the Pre as a possible/likely replacement for our Treos & Centros
    USR Pilot 5000->3Com PalmPilot Pro->Palm IIIx->Palm 515->Palm TT3->Treo 700p->HTC Touch Pro->Palm Pre->HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    2. Some poor sap has to evaluate the Pre as a possible/likely replacement for our Treos & Centros
    Oh, man, what a horrible role.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Oh, man, what a horrible role.
    A role I'd gladly volunteer for
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    As the IT Committee Chair for a 75 partner anesthesiology group I've been wanting to initiate electronic charge capture for a few years now. Our CEO is resistant - no one else is doing it. If any of you know a group who is I'd like to hear about them.
    A majority of our group members use some sort of medical application on their Treos/Centros, usually Epocrates but several others as well.
    I'll be switching over immediately upon release for two reasons:
    1. I'm fed up with the additional steps needed to do anything in WinMob when compared to FrankenGarnet
    Don't quote me on this, but I think GHA (Greater Houston Anesthesiology, 300+ providers) is moving to some form of electronic charge capture.
    I really hope that there will be some decent medical software quickly for the Palm Pre. The back catalogue for Classic will help but it will definitely need some Pre specific goodness to show what the phone can do.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast