Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Finally, the company announced that third-party developer MotionApps will be making a Palm OS emulator available for purchase to coincide with the launch of the Pre. The application will be utilize the mass storage mode of the device to allow for drag-and-drop of PRCs, though according to the press release, the emulator "won't be able to leverage core webOS functionality," meaning that you probably can't expect pure bliss across all of your applications, particularly those with roots that go deeper into phone databases and the like. What's interesting to note about this app is that it's being built on more than just the standard webOS SDK -- an event which Palm called "unique." They went on to assure us that this was a one-off to allow for emulation, but we're thinking they might want to reconsider that policy by factoring in the clamor for serious gaming on a device like the Pre.
    Palm announces webOS SDK availability, Palm OS emulation for Pre, new cloud services
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So I was completely and utterly wrong when I said they wouldn't do this.

From the sound of it, no apps that need access to the phonebook/diary will work?
    Sweet! I know the guys there, they are awesome!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Emulator, called "Classic" is being developed by MotionApps
    http://www.motionapps.com/classic/

Some highlights:
    - Compared to Treo 700p your PalmOS apps will run approximately twice as fast on Classic.

- There are 30,000+ PalmOS apps. Through Classic, many PalmOS apps will work on the Palm Pre. We will have a detailed compatibility list for you closer to the release date so stay tuned!

Screen shot attached - looking good!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm glad they're doing this for those that really wouldn't switch over without this functionality, but for me personally, I really don't care much. I assume PdaNet won't work with this emulator, and an emulated version of PalmVNC probably won't be that great either. Since those are the two things I really care about, the emulator is next to useless. It'll be nice to use some of my old games if they don't get ported over to webOS, but i'm guessing those games and MANY more will be out on day 1.
    An observation from looking at all the different screen shots: One of the applications is CardInfo. That would imply that the emulator can access a portion of the Pre's memory as if it were a memory card. This might only be a file on Pre's file system, but it might be a directory. Have to wonder.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well great news for the people who needed this. That'll definitely switch some palm users that weren't quite convinced yet.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Since the Pre can be used as a USB drive, CardInfo is likely the file manager.
    Now for the Palm Desktop App!
    For me, emulation has moved me from the category of "I hope to buy it someday when developers get on the web os bandwagon" to "Let me know when it comes out and I will throw money at you." Remember, sprint has ALOT of palm os users, so from a business standpoint, this is a big selling point. Who am I kidding, I'm just happy I can read my 800 ebooks and my olive tree bible programs on a pre
    If Slingplayer works with this I ecstatic. It would take me from a maybe to a definitely.
    Do I really need to be the first person to say that the title of the thread is a little off putting?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    How would one navigate within apps without a Dpad or a stylus?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I try to avoid the POS abbreviation... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Do I really need to be the first person to say that the title of the thread is a little off putting?
    Ahhhhh...Yeah. I second that. Didn't even really occur to me until you pointed it out just now.

I'll say this though. That PalmOS screen looks SO out of place floating adrift in the backdrop of the WebOS screen. Kind of like playing an old classic Atari game ("Pong" or something) on a brand new PS3 with a plasma TV. You know?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    From the sound of it, no apps that need access to the phonebook/diary will work?
    But no doubt the software will be able to access Palm Databases ie an imported contact/event list so you would be to continue to operate your PalmOS program if you wish. And Palm will provide a means of importing contacts and events into WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    If Slingplayer works with this I ecstatic. It would take me from a maybe to a definitely.
    I bet you they will come out with a new app for sling player...which will be so much better looking!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So I was completely and utterly wrong when I said they wouldn't do this.
    Being able to admit you were wrong is a very admirable trait. Especially on forums. I applaud you for even doing so
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    How would one navigate within apps without a Dpad or a stylus?
    If you look at the pic on their site it appears to have an on screen dpad. As far as pin point accuracy that a stylus would give you on a resistive screen, we are sol because even capacitive screen styli are bulky as a finger.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    Can't get my hopes up.
    Anyone see that Sling is making iPhone users buy a new SB to be able to use the app?
    What a rip.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast