Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Releasing the "classic" information was key for some people... I left palm apps a LONG time ago... but some will be happy.

Good catch...

Good video... not the standard BS we see... good job.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I honestly think it would be best to only use the apps absolutely needed. Most PIM would prolly be best, if not necassary, to stay in WebOs.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    re: ePocrates: I moved from Palm several years ago and use a WinMo version now. I could switch it to the PalmOS version if I had to, but would prefer to see a WebOS native app for ePocrates.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    re: ePocrates: I moved from Palm several years ago and use a WinMo version now. I could switch it to the PalmOS version if I had to, but would prefer to see a WebOS native app for ePocrates.
    I'm sure they are working on it, being one of the most used Palm OS apps.

At least you have a workaround until they release it!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    The folks at Epocrates plan for a WebOS version sometime, just not sure when. Classic will tide us over. It's also possible that the online version of Epocrates will work off the bat.
    the price you pay for wanting to be an early adopter...

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I'm sure they are working on it, being one of the most used Palm OS apps.

At least you have a workaround until they release it!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    The folks at Epocrates plan for a WebOS version sometime, just not sure when. Classic will tide us over. It's also possible that the online version of Epocrates will work off the bat.
    Good point! I may hardly miss the on-board app with access to the online version . . .
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    What is it written in? If javascript it should work no problem.

The Pre browser, unlike the iPhone browser, renders the entire page so as long as it doesn't use java/flash it should work no problem.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I am really happy about this, but I wonder how it will work with, say, Pocket Quicken. How will you move the info back and forth from the desktop to the Pre? I get that you can hook it up as a USB drive, but will it work to transfer data manually that's previously been done as a hotsync?

(Does that question make sense? I hope so.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    For me, emulation has moved me from the category of "I hope to buy it someday when developers get on the web os bandwagon" to "Let me know when it comes out and I will throw money at you."
    Exactly. I'm glad Palm did not forget that a source of new users are their loyal old users. I don't think the emulator will retard the transition to new apps, either. Folks will want the slick interface of webOS. But until the new apps come, it's great to have all the old ones, especially the indispensible medical apps for this physician here.
    -- Josh
    I've read from Ed Hardy that the Classic emulator runs as a virtual machine similar to the GarnetVM on those Nokia Internet Tablet devices as opposed to how Styletap works. I'm not sure what the differences are, but if this is true, I'm speculating that the potential functionality and limits in emulating Garnet OS in WebOS would be along the lines of Garnet VM on the Nokia.

Some things I've found that are quite interesting to the Nokia:

- its free.. however its still in beta and developed from license holder access
    - application install is by copying PRC/PDB files into specified folder
    - you can hotsync
    - screen rotation, 480x320 support
    - sound support requires specific set of libraries from primary os
    - sling player crashes

However, on their site they do say.. compatibility w/ WiFile Pro, ezFTP, Docs2go, pTunes, Kinoma 4ex, and Core Player. Which I really hope to see re-incarnated to fly natively for WebOS. Imagine tap notification bar to view live thumbnail of xvid video.. a pre-worthylicious dare I say over a network share?

And mad props for MotionApps for stepping in and handing us a shovel for our treasured PalmOS gems. Looking at their portfolio now, and they've done some genius work.. often filling in the gaps: MP3 ringtones.. RSS reader.. voice rec.. tweaks. They also seem anti-apple from their mOcean mock poood like MP3 player. I hope their pre-experience is going smoothly and is encouraged to create more goodness.

BTW.. I know I'm harsh plugging Motion but check out what they've done with mDesktop on WM. It's not the first time I've seen it before.. but its still uncommon new-ness. I won't spoil so you'll have to see it for yourself.

mDesktop

How many of you would be interested in such functionality ?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have PocketQuicken on my Centro. It sounds like the Classic app won't support the syncing of PocketQuicken to your computer. No HotSync available. But I bet it will work as a stand alone in the Classics app. My hope anyway.
    Yeah Pocket Quicken is a huge program for me but just hope that they release a version for the Pre. All these Palm OS Programs added to the Pre will make that 8gb of memory even more precious.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    The 8 gigs should be plenty for me, but I have a question for the people who own a Palm phone and plenty of apps. How much space do the apps take up? Will someone be able to burn through the 8 gigs quickly if they purchase a lot of apps, or is that not a concern?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    The 8 gigs should be plenty for me, but I have a question for the people who own a Palm phone and plenty of apps. How much space do the apps take up? Will someone be able to burn through the 8 gigs quickly if they purchase a lot of apps, or is that not a concern?
    Well, since games like Bejeweled are around 391 K (that is not a typo) the programs themselves are not likely to be a problem.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Yeah Pocket Quicken is a huge program for me but just hope that they release a version for the Pre. All these Palm OS Programs added to the Pre will make that 8gb of memory even more precious.
    You've got so many programs that your xxx kilobyte-sized files become Megabytes or even Gigabytes?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I know its not a ton but its just another thing to take up that precious memory. I have a 8gb card on my centro and its almost full ( music, programs,movies,videos,excell,word etc). Was thinking about moving to 16gb before the pre was announced. Just another thing that takes up the 8gb we have. Was just saying. Someone who has a Medical database app , those take up alot of memory.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    You've got so many programs that your xxx kilobyte-sized files become Megabytes or even Gigabytes?
    Would you be able to use a laucher like zlauncher with a emulator so that when you hit the classic button you get the launcher. Would be cool to use TealOS as the palm launcher so when you hit the palm programs it looks exactly like WSB OS .
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Would you be able to use a laucher like zlauncher with a emulator so that when you hit the classic button you get the launcher. Would be cool to use TealOS as the palm launcher so when you hit the palm programs it looks exactly like WSB OS .
    Someone made a joke about that earlier, but now that you've elaborated a bit, I kinda like the idea. Too bad TealOS is no longer available.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    So this doesnt come with the PRE and you have to purchase it?? the FAQ added mentions it will be for sale when the PRE comes out. I was under the assumption that it came with the PRE.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast