Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I really think this is what was needed for a lot of people to make the move. There's just some apps that people need that are only available (at this point) in PalmOS.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    PALM Classic emulator video Palm Pre Classic emulator demoed on video
    Very cool. Thanks a lot.

I'm kinda happy for the physicians around here who were really hoping they wouldn't have to give up the professional applications.

I'm wishing that video shows whether the "Classic" app becomes a card like any other applications.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Very Nice!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Very cool. Thanks a lot.

I'm kinda happy for the physicians around here who were really hoping they wouldn't have to give up the professional applications.

I'm wishing that video shows whether the "Classic" app becomes a card like any other applications.
    I am pretty sure every app is a card no matter what it is.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I am pretty sure every app is a card no matter what it is.
    Yea, there was a pic floating around that showed it as a card.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I really think this is what was needed for a lot of people to make the move. There's just some apps that people need that are only available (at this point) in PalmOS.
    It also undercuts one of Apple's pluses - now the new pre will have 30,000 that will be instantaly available for it at launch (if in limited function).
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That's a toughie.

On the one hand, there's the fact that "it doesn't do anything." It is simply a conduit for other applications to do their thing.

That says, "pay less."

On the other hand, it holds hostage all of the Palm OS applications that many of us would like to use on the Pre. Without the proper sacrifices to this dark, digital deity, we won't be able to play with our old toys, anymore.

That says, "pay more."

I guess $20 sounds ok. Obviously, I'd rather Palm had delivered this as a native application, but I think I smell strategy in the works here.
    I think $20 is the sweet spot. That is in line with what is charged for "heavy duty" Palm OS apps now. I would even pay $30. It depends on if it supports my apps properly. What we are looking at here is a bridge application. It probably won't be as useful in 2 or 3 years, but even with all the buzz surrounding webOS and developers jumping on board, I'd bet the majority of mobile app developers are taking a wait and see approach.

I care about LJP, SlingPlayer and that's IT. Will SlingPlayer pop up on the Pre eventually? Yes, but when is "eventually"? LJP or something like it? I won't be holding my breath that there will be a native webOS console emulator anytime soon. The only reason that one exists is sort of a fluke anyway...someone made a portable gaming system running Palm OS (does anyone here own a Zodiac BTW?).

So that part is invaluable. As it is, my Centro is a combination phone/e-mail client/web browser/TV/media player/portable gaming system. How cool is that! If I can upgrade to a new OS and lose nothing, at least in the short term, it'll be well worth it the $20 for me.

But if I lose the two apps I mentioned, its not going to prevent me from getting a Pre. I am in for one no matter what. A lot of the applications that I use on my Centro are apps that extend the capabilities of a decrepit OS to do stuff that the Pre will do natively. Like CardExport, SharkLinks, ZLauncher...these are all things I won't need anymore.

I think the benefit of this application is that, just by existing, it'll make the decision to upgrade a no-brainer for the people who just can't live without one critical function. Peace of mind is a great thing. Also Palm can advertise support for an 8 year backlog of application support right out of the box. The more people jump on board initially, the more this will drive new app support, and so on and so forth.

-IR
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yea, there was a pic floating around that showed it as a card.
    Just call me Berd.
    EPOCRATES YES! let's hope this baby is ready at launch! im gonna start camping out now, who's with me!
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    maybe i am just dense but can i bring my contacts and calendar over from my t680?
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    maybe i am just dense but can i bring my contacts and calendar over from my t680?
    Into the Pre itself? Or into the Classic emulator?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    both into the pre and the classic emulator. thanks.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    both into the pre and the classic emulator. thanks.
    I would think you could in both but they would exist mutually exclusive of each other. Update to the Classic or Pre contact would not update the other. As mentioned in the video they want you to use Pre contacts instead of Classic.

But it still shouldn't stop you from having a separate contacts DB in Classic if you need it for a specific Classic app. I could imagine a work around since Classic has Internet access and I'm sure you could find a way to sync/update your Classic contacts with something there. However I think in the end I think most will prefer to enjoy the benefits of Synergy.
    The Classic screen looks, to me, to be the size of a Treo. If you have fat fingers, some apps are going to be difficult without a stylus. Anybody know what will work as a stylus on this kind of screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    The Classic screen looks, to me, to be the size of a Treo. If you have fat fingers, some apps are going to be difficult without a stylus. Anybody know what will work as a stylus on this kind of screen?
    I was bored so I did the math. Based on the diagonal size and the resolution/aspect ratio, the Pre screen is 2.59" tall by 1.71" wide. Since the Classic emulator is using a 320x320 mode, that means for running Garnet applications it's a 1.71x1.71" square screen. The Treo 755p is a 1.70x1.70" square screen, and the Centro is a 1.56x1.56" square screen. Which means, you're pretty much exactly right that the Classic screen is the size of a Treo.

As for styli, a few companies do make a specific "capacitive stylus", but in general they're the size of the flat end of a crayon, which means they won't do all that well for precision, but the emulator seems to handle things pretty well anyway based on Dieter's video on the front page.
    Most of the Palm OS apps in the last 5 years have been optimized for the d-pad, so I am not worried about the stylus.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    DPad controls would be supported by many Garnet apps but a virtual onscreen stylus/pointer (perhaps controlled by the DPad) option would be cool.

I wonder if Palm "folders" are supported? E.g. some applications would look for their databases in /Palm/Programs/XYZ
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Just viewed the video and it's very informative.

What if we are currently using an app like 2day from ShSh? Will it work with Classic?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Just viewed the video and it's very informative.

What if we are currently using an app like 2day from ShSh? Will it work with Classic?

TIA
    I'm guessing it would setup some sort of syncing between the webOS API and the contactsDB, calendarDB, etc...
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I'm guessing it would setup some sort of syncing between the webOS API and the contactsDB, calendarDB, etc...
    ...Except they've flat out said that it's not and that contacts and calendar in the emulator are independent from the Pre data.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast