1.    #1  
    I was just wondering if with the following options that the Pre has

-Proximity sensor, which automatically disables the touch screen and turns off the display whenever you put the phone up to your ear

- Light sensor, which dims the display if the ambient light is dark, such as at night or in a movie theater, to reduce power usage

- Accelerometer, which automatically orients web pages and photos to your perspective

Is it possible to create a Weather app that will use one of those sensors to give the weather based on what it feels? is that even possible? I am not a developer, but that would be a killer app I think
    What we should be wondering is if Palm makes it till the release of the Pre. Could Apple buy them out and just kill the product?
    another day for you and me in paradise
  3.    #3  
    I don't know why, but I am not wondering about that, it seems like you want that to happen, but I don't think it will
    im not a developer but i would think that it would not be very likely to be made. and if it were it wouldn't work very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by shalero View Post
    What we should be wondering is if Palm makes it till the release of the Pre. Could Apple buy them out and just kill the product?
    Way to hijack the thread & be completely off topic.

Anyway, although that weather idea seems pretty cool, I don't think it would be possible (using those 3 features that is).
    Not a developer, but a scientist.

It's not obvious to me what any of those sensors would let you do in terms of predicting or even summarizing current weather.

More useful for weather: temperature sensor and pressure sensor. Both are readily available as miniature componants, but to the best of my knowlege the Pre (or any other phone I can think of) doesn't have either.

That said, with constant internet access, you can get real time weather and weather predictions from many, many places on the web. A custom weather app that could read the GPS and pull the data down based on your location seems very doable.
    It's so doable that it's done and comes pre-installed on an iPhone.
    Proximity sensor: It could detect approaching raindrops, incoming hailstones and accumulated snow on the surface of the Pre.

Light sensor: It could tell you if it was day or night ... if you were outside.

Accelerometer: Maybe it can measure coriolis effect and predict the direction of hurricane and tornado rotation.

Reminds me of that classic bit of hillbilly tourist junk: The Ozarks Weather Station (a rock suspended from a string):
    - If rock is wet, it's raining
    - If rock is moving, it's windy
    - If rock is cold, it's winter
    - If rock has a shadow, it's daytime.
    - etc.

I'm just funnin' with ya.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It would be great to see a location-based weather program. I travel for work and would like to be able to get the most current forecast, watches/warnings, radar, etc. based on where I was at any given time.
    @ dump71 That's not exactly revolutionary is it? Should be easy..
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    @cardfan--I have not seen anything like that, but perhaps you have. If so, show me More specifically, I'd like to see the location-awareness be automatic---when I pull up the weather program, it's all there, ready for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dump71 View Post
    @cardfan--I have not seen anything like that, but perhaps you have. If so, show me More specifically, I'd like to see the location-awareness be automatic---when I pull up the weather program, it's all there, ready for me.
    Sprint Navigation cell phone GPS | ITworld

I think Sprint intends for that functionality to stay within Sprint Navigation, although I'd like to have this feature in a separate app as well.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ah, if only Sprint navigation worked on my Sprint 755p... Sprint had/has a separate app, MyCast, that could provide some location-based data, but it requires Java, which also doesn't run on my 755p
    USA weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com

I know the iphone version you just tap on "current location". Not automatic though.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Like MyCast and my local tv station's website and others, I think you can have Weatherbug send text messages to you for watches/warnings you want for places that you set up ahead of time, but I don't believe it detects your location and updates accordingly. It's neat that the iphone has a one-tap solution though. Through a variety of sources, you can also get forecasts emailed to you for locations you specify ahead of time but sent to you automatically everyday.
    It would be great to see a location-based weather program. I travel for work and would like to be able to get the most current forecast, watches/warnings, radar, etc. based on where I was at any given time.
    The calendar screenshots shows weather temp/forecast on the top, maybe it'll be linked with calendar if a location is specified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    The calendar screenshots shows weather temp/forecast on the top, maybe it'll be linked with calendar if a location is specified.
    I could be wrong, but this might be from a calendar subscription. For example, weather and sport schedules can be synced to your calendar.
    More specifically, I'd like to see the location-awareness be automatic---when I pull up the weather program, it's all there, ready for me.
    I think it will have to be. location based applications are one of the biggest growing segments.
    The iPhone makes all apps ask the user for permission to determine location. It's done as a privacy thing. Otherwise, just about any app could be surruptitously be used to track your location via GPS and broadcast it to whoever wants to know.