Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use YouTube quite a bit when I am bored, or just to show a friend that cool video I saw the other day. There was no mention of it anywhere, but seeing how HTC stuck it on their Sprint Touch Pro and Diamond, and how the iPhone has a native app, just to name a few, wouldn't the Pre be missing something if it didn't have a native YouTube app out of the box? I'd be sad if it didn't!

Seeing how Google and the Pre seem to go hand in hand, and knowing that Google owns YouTube, maybe we'll get YouTube as an option for the Universal Search, right next to Google Seach, Google Maps, and Wikipedia.

I know that the Pre will get full flash support late in the year or even as late as early next year, but there's something about having a dedicated YouTube app that makes everything just so much simpler to use than having to do it from the browser.
    Since youtube is flash and to create a youtube app would require putting flash on the phone, I don't really see why we'd see a youtube app before flash in the browser.

But I could be wrong.
    I think he's asking about a separate Youtube application, like the iPhone has. The application for it on the iPhone does not use flash.
    Even if it didn't get a dedicated one for YouTube...how about a dedicated one for Google Video - which owns YouTube anyways
    i think we will see one considering google maps is on the phone. We know that palm is working with google.
    Well...considering the Centro came with You Tube capability out of the box........I would have to imagine Palm has something up their sleeve.................
    Pretty standard stuff by now..
    Youtube app is expected and so commonplace that it doesnt need special mention IMHO.
  9.    #9  
    Hope you guys are right....I'd be bored without having YouTube on the phone.
    Keep in mind, on a device with an accelerometer, it's commonplace to expect all of its apps to rotate. On the Pre, currently only the Photos, Video, and Browser apps are capable of rotating to landscape *cry*

If I had to guess, I'd say the Pre's browser will support YouTube Mobile's streaming media format (with no dedicated YouTube app). At least for the 1.0 release of the Palm webOS
  11.    #11  
    I had no clue that the Centro had a YouTube app. I like the one on the HTC Diamond, fast and convenient, and the one of the iPhone too. If we get anything like that on the Pre, I'd be happy.
    Yeah, I wish my Blackberry had a Youtube app. Youtube didn't work at all until an OS update. After the update all that works is the mobile site, and it looks like crap. The videos themselves are thumbnail size. Yuck.
    Most of the time the vids don't work at all.

Where's my Pre???
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I had no clue that the Centro had a YouTube app. I like the one on the HTC Diamond, fast and convenient, and the one of the iPhone too. If we get anything like that on the Pre, I'd be happy.
    Umm..i've known people who've owned the centro for months. Asked if they put any apps on it and they're like huh? Didn't know you could do that..lol
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm..i've known people who've owned the centro for months. Asked if they put any apps on it and they're like huh? Didn't know you could do that..lol
    Yeah, most people think that what the carrier gives them is all the phone can do. I admit, that's how I was when I got my Sprint Touch....until I watched review videos on Youtube and then from there noticed all the videos of customized Touch phones....and that's how my smartphone bug really got started, thanks to YouTube...so of course I want it on the PRE!
    I think palm would benefit if they simply assume people know nothing and provided easy to follow tutorials as well as easy methods to manage media. Apple did a great job in this regard.

It's a crime that most didn't know an app was til apple came out with their app store. Apple was really the first company that really came out and SHOWED people what a smartphone could do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Keep in mind, on a device with an accelerometer, it's commonplace to expect all of its apps to rotate. On the Pre, currently only the Photos, Video, and Browser apps are capable of rotating to landscape *cry*

How do you know this?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    How do you know this?
    Like 2 or 3 of the CES demos, lemme look some up and I'll come back and post 'em
    Has Kinoma announced that they are working on a player for the Pre? The Kinoma player makes watching youtube vidieos so much better on the Centro/Treo.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    If Flash isn't coming out until the end of the year, but phones are having youtube apps, what platform is being used to show the videos?
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    Has Kinoma announced that they are working on a player for the Pre? The Kinoma player makes watching youtube vidieos so much better on the Centro/Treo.
    Last I checked, Kinoma hasn't said anything, though I believe the streaming media will be supported by the built-in player. Plus, Kinoma would definitely need deeper API access to do media playback, which is possible, but not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    If Flash isn't coming out until the end of the year, but phones are having youtube apps, what platform is being used to show the videos?
    Youtube mobile doesn't use Flash, it uses streaming media.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast