Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the Pre forum because its an app i like to see on the Pre and to get reaction from the Pre crowd.

Just noticed the Kindle app for iphone and downloaded it. Count that among the few useful iphone apps for me. This is simply awesome.

Even if you don't own a kindle (although i do own one), with a simple amazon account, you can still download the first few chapters of any kindle books...for free. That alone is worthwhile. But the reader actually isn't bad for shortterm reading. Have to use the amazon site (or kindle) to purchase or do these downloads.

It syncs with the Kindle though keeping track of progress read. Can read 20 pages on the iphone. Pick up the Kindle and it syncs and knows where i left off. Pretty cool.

So this is definitely a want for me on the Pre.

PS..i would've paid a few bucks for it. Weird that its free..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

PS..i would've paid a few bucks for it. Weird that its free..
    Not at all. Gillette will give you the razor free - and charge you for the replacement blades. Amazon wants to sell you content.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Hopefully we will see a Pre app since amazon is also doing the music store on the Pre.

It is free because Amazon wants to get it in as many hands as possible. Ebooks must be far more profitable for them then stocking dead tree books.
    Awwwwesome! The Kindle store without the Kindle. I gotta try this.
    I just tried the app on my iPhone and I got to say it is very sweet. I love the way it can sync the page your on between a Kindle and an iPhone.

Also, it allows you to download the first chapter for free. I tried a few books and found the experience very nice.
    Thanks for the tip. The Kindle hardware is waaaay too expensive for the value to me for a one-trick pony computer. And the book prices seem ridiculous, considering the reduced value of DRM'd bits locked to their $300 toy. John Stewart interviewed Bezo about it and ended the interview shocked that after spending that much on the hardware it was just the beginning of the money extraction, "books are extra?!?...."

But I'm fine with free software to check out their offerings.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    An alternative to an expensive Kindle may be available through your local public library. Many offer ebooks and audiobooks you can download to a mobile device. You already pay for the service via taxes and it's very green.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Also check out the earlier thread, started about a month ago when the Kindle 2 was first announced....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ghlight=kindle
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Since I don't have a Kindle, will I be able to actually purchase the books, or just the previews?

I mostly use Mobireader on my Moto Q, but I think that Amazon would be cheaper...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman109 View Post
    Since I don't have a Kindle, will I be able to actually purchase the books, or just the previews?

I mostly use Mobireader on my Moto Q, but I think that Amazon would be cheaper...
    Assuming they do actually release a webOS app for the Pre, you'll be able to purchase the books, with or without a Kindle. If you did purchase a Kindle, the books would automatically be synchronized between your phone and the Kindle so that no matter which device you are reading on, it knows where you are in the book.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I agree, this app. is great. I tried it today and it is nice when I don't want to carry my Kindle, I will always have my iPhone with me. What is really nice is it syncs to the page that I am on with both the iPhone and the Kindle so if I just have a few minutes to read on the iPhone it will sync with my Kindle when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Hopefully we will see a Pre app since amazon is also doing the music store on the Pre.
    I have been researching the Kindle and other ebook readers recently, in earnest since the launch of the Kindle 2.

I've told myself I would use it to read all the classic literature I never got around to before. My little apartment just can't hold any more books. I like the concept too.

The release of the iPhone app is great news, and I too hope the Pre is on the short list for same.

I watched Bezos on Charlie Rose recently, and he spoke of an imminent release for phone apps. He thinks of it as complimenting the Kindle, which one would keep at home for "long form" reading. The phone app is to allow reading small amounts when "in line at the grocery store". I think he is smart to want to sell more ebooks, instead of trying to corner the market on the hardware (although this will help do that too).

I have been debating between the Kindle and the Sonys, but this seamless integration (synchronization) with phones is an amazing plus for the Kindle, as is the wireless connectivity.
    I would be concerned with the screen size of the Pre. Reading on the iPhone size screen is even a stretch.
    Last edited by mobileman; 03/05/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I would be concerned with the screen size of the Pre. Reading on the iPhone size screen is even a stretch.

For me, reading it on my iPhone has not been a problem. I did set the font size up a notch. Now, you do turn a lot of pages since there's not much content on a page.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    At least for me, not an issue. I read books constantly on my 755p with no problem at all. Width of the 755p screen (and the Pre's) is comparable to a column in a newspaper or magazine, and no one complains about those being too narrow. Granted, the vertical length is much shorter, but I can page down faster and with less distraction from my reading than I can flip a page, so in practice it just isn't a problem.

Despite my love of gadgets I doubt I'll ever get a Kindle; the form factor just doesn't fit my needs. Sitting at home, I read off dead trees. On the go, if it doesn't fit in my pocket, it's not going to be with me anyway.

So...I'd be excited to see a Kindle app for the Pre.

I'd be even more excited if it also read non-DRM'd Mobipocket (tons of free content either in Mobi format or easily converted to Mobi) or ePub (my library offers DRM'd content for free checkout in this format). Not holding my breath though, since I agree with sir_mycroft's razor blade theory. Amazon wants to sell Kindle-DRM'd content, not reader software. So it's unlikely they'll support formats that don't directly boost their content sales.

Which means I'm still anxiously awaiting an announcement of an open e-book reader for webOS.
    I actually find it easier to read books on my Treos, 700P at the moment. For some reason reading paper books hurts my eyes. And it is nice always having something to read with me with out the bulk.

But I agree with Joad about the prices. Some like Baen do E-books right. But others are ridiculous. Recently I was loooking at getting a book that I was interested in. After quite a seach I found it. The E-book version was $10 more than I would pay if I went into a B&N and picked up the hardbound. So I just passed.

You can get all the Classics at manybooks.net. They are free and come in many formats, including: .azw for Kindle, several different .pdb for PalmOS/Garnet, .rtf, several .pdf, and for the old timers, .pkg for Newton.

I've been reading ebooks for years, great for reading in bed and not turning a light on.
    Reading books on a 3" screen..not for me. Just re-read "Things Fall Apart" (maybe for the thousandth time) and the thought skipped my mind that it would be utterly ridiculous to be reading a book on something like the Kindle or the Pre.

I marked passages that i wanted to, dog-eared some pages for later reference, wrote notes everywhere i came across a proverb, highlighted certain passages, flipped back and forth several times between pages for reference and so on and on.... Doing any of this on a Kindle or a Pre would be a chore and practically useless.

Well "Dubliners" is next on my read list... off to Barnes and Noble...ah the smell of books.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 03/06/2009 at 07:11 AM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Reading books on a 3" screen..not for me. Just re-read "Tings Fall Apart" (maybe for the thousandth time) and the thought skipped my mind that it would be utterly ridiculous to be reading a book on something like the Kindle or the Pre.

I marked passages that i wanted to, dog-eared some pages for later reference, wrote notes everywhere i came across a proverb, highlighted certain passages, flipped back and forth several times between pages for reference and so on and on.... Doing any of this on a Kindle or a Pre would be a chore and practically useless.

Well "Dubliners" is next on my read list... off to Barnes and Noble...ah the smell of books.
    I admit I'm not much for reading anything that's not online, but I would agree that a 3" screen is probably not the best thing to be reading for an extended period of time. I do however think that something like the kindle is ideal. No more wasted paper and the ability to have books immediately without driving to the store, that just seems like a winning combination. On top of that, I read somewhere that you can annotate on the kindle using the keyboard (so you can mark the pages that way... no more ruining your book by folding over the pages), and though I've never used a Kindle myself, I hear flipping through pages is a breeze. Not to mention, you don't have to worry about paper cuts any carrying around awkward books. I just don't get why some many people are so stuck on the idea of a physical book. I'd guess the next generation of kids will be laughing at the thought of publishing an actual physical book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    That's why the first e-ink device with a touchscreen will be useful for many... though if you don't mind LCDs, there's always various sizes of tablet PCs (mine's a little too large to read conveniently on at 12", but I'd imagine the 5.6" or 8.9" Fujitsu ones for example would be great for this use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast