Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's why the first e-ink device with a touchscreen will be useful for many...
    That would be the Sony PRS-700. I considered it.
    Amazon.com: Sony PRS-700 Reader Digital Book Portable eBook reader with 6" touchscreen display: Office Products

I picked up a new in box Kindle 1 today for about half the cost of the Kindle 2. It's really a wonderful reading device. Silent and still. I will travel the next few days and look forward to reading the first book I bought from the Kindle store. After one click to buy it was ready to read in about 15 seconds. Impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Reading books on a 3" screen..not for me. Just re-read "Tings Fall Apart" (maybe for the thousandth time) and the thought skipped my mind that it would be utterly ridiculous to be reading a book on something like the Kindle or the Pre.

I marked passages that i wanted to, dog-eared some pages for later reference, wrote notes everywhere i came across a proverb, highlighted certain passages, flipped back and forth several times between pages for reference and so on and on.... Doing any of this on a Kindle or a Pre would be a chore and practically useless.

Well "Dubliners" is next on my read list... off to Barnes and Noble...ah the smell of books.
    I'm afraid I have to point out that your opinion is based on ignorance, as you well acknowledge in your post. I use the word as defined in The New Oxford American Dictionary, looked up on the Kindle.

The Kindle dog-ears a page with the push of a button, without even reaching for the top corner. I hadn't highlighted anything yet, so I did a search for "blasphemy", and was immediately directed to the witty phrase in Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" that I had in mind. I then highlighted "Blasphemy is a victimless crime" with another button push, sans highlighter. Flipping back and forth between pages on the Kindle by the way, if you knew anything about it, is all too easy. EDIT: Forgot notes. Put them anywhere you like with the funny looking but functional qwerty keyboard. An icon then appears in the margin, and they can be erased too.

I plan to read some Joyce myself, on the Kindle. Dubliners is less than a dollar at the Kindle Store, and less than a minute away.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/06/2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I admit I'm not much for reading anything that's not online, but I would agree that a 3" screen is probably not the best thing to be reading for an extended period of time. I do however think that something like the kindle is ideal. No more wasted paper and the ability to have books immediately without driving to the store, that just seems like a winning combination. On top of that, I read somewhere that you can annotate on the kindle using the keyboard (so you can mark the pages that way... no more ruining your book by folding over the pages), and though I've never used a Kindle myself, I hear flipping through pages is a breeze. Not to mention, you don't have to worry about paper cuts any carrying around awkward books. I just don't get why some many people are so stuck on the idea of a physical book. I'd guess the next generation of kids will be laughing at the thought of publishing an actual physical book.
    Actually if you read the Gizmodo review, flipping through pages on the Kindle is slow as it always was. The whole screen flashes or "blinks" each time you turn a page.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5163042/kindle-...like-kindle-15

Papercuts...oh come on..i last got a papercut when bell bottoms and clogs were the rage...ages ago.
    Why am i stuck on physical books... because it's more practical, don't need to remember to charge it, costs a lots less, easier to read and so on.

The technology to replace physical books hasn't arrived yet, not for a long mile. I perceive a future where the sort of fold-able, roll-able, bend-able colour vga-res e-ink 5 - 7inch devices really come to fruition. Every now and then there's some manufacturer showing of some prototype of next gen bendable portable "thingies" that make me really wonder.

I played with the Sony Reader and viewed extensive video demos of the Kindle. Current e-readers are just not there yet for me...long way to go.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 03/06/2009 at 07:30 AM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    That would be the Sony PRS-700. I considered it.
    Amazon.com: Sony PRS-700 Reader Digital Book Portable eBook reader with 6" touchscreen display: Office Products

I picked up a new in box Kindle 1 today for about half the cost of the Kindle 2. It's really a wonderful reading device. Silent and still. I will travel the next few days and look forward to reading the first book I bought from the Kindle store. After one click to buy it was ready to read in about 15 seconds. Impressive.
    Hmmm, I know a friend who'd like to have one but was never sold on the original price. He'll probably take the plunge now once i let him know. I'm glad you like it.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Reading books on a 3" screen..not for me.
    Well "Dubliners" is next on my read list... off to Barnes and Noble...ah the smell of books.
    Dubliners? Can't resist a funny personal anecdote.

I read the Project Gutenberg edition of "Ulysses" (also by Joyce) on my Treo 755. I loved doing that way mostly because of the convenience of having a built-in dictionary to deal with Joyce's prodigious vocabulary. (Amazingly, the dictionary even had many of his neologisms, specifically citing him as the originator of the term).

I was going great until I got to the final chapter, and bam, it seemed like the quality of the OCR'd text went waaaay down, dropped punctuation, no capitalization, VERY difficult to read.

So anyway, I grumbled off to my public library to borrow a dead tree edition to finish.

Imagine my surprise to find that the Gutenberg edition was a faithful rendition of the final chapter. It's intended to be one long uninterrupted stream of consciousness.
    Honestly out of the 50-100 books I've read over the past 6 years since getting my Treo 600, not including books for classes, I've read exactly 1 1/2 paper books myself... and not by choice but because of the odd formatting of the books demands it ("House of Leaves" is the one, and "Only Revolutions" I only got a little ways into... both by Mark Danielewski).

I don't know, I've never had any issues with reading off a screen, and while I'd love an e-ink screen for it, to me I can't justify the cost for a single use only device. A Kindle application or something of the sort would be nice, but I'd really prefer something that uses the emerging open standard ePub, or something like FBreader that uses .oebzip.

As I mentioned in a comment on the front page, I just don't want to be locked into Amazon's DRM, and then just have to hope that things will work for any future device I own. Instead, I can just buy in MS .lit format, remove the DRM, and then put it into any format I want, which is something that is not possible with the Kindle files.
    Honestly out of the 50-100 books I've read over the past 6 years since getting my Treo 600, not including books for classes, I've read exactly 1 1/2 paper books myself... and not by choice but because of the odd formatting of the books demands it ("House of Leaves" is the one, and "Only Revolutions" I only got a little ways into... both by Mark Danielewski).
    (Drifting off topic...)

Danielewski is one typographically sick puppy.

Most days, House of Leaves is the favorite book I've ever read, and yeah, I can't imagine it working as an etext. If I remember right, there's at least one spot where he relies on the translucency of the paper to superimpose stuff on two sequential pages, which just isn't going to work as bits. And you'd need to be able to display individual characters at arbitrary rotations.

Only Revolutions MIGHT work and work quite well if the reader software was sufficiently versatile and the screen size was big enough. Most of the formatting is just the gradually changing font size, although to get it right you need to:

1. Be as-printed page oriented, not just display the text reflowed to conveniently fit the screen. Part of the beauty of that book is the structure of the text (word counts, and the parallels between what you're reading vs the inverted text on the same page AND the analogous page reading in the other direction, etc).

2. Be able to display upside down text. To properly render the reverse story at the bottom of each page. Not nearly as bad as HoL, though.
    Agreed, it'd be difficult for probably anything but a large screen reader in PDF format (and of course color) for both of those two. Though I did just see on a quick search that there's an audiobook of Only Revolutions, which would be interesting.

And a little off topic again, but is Only Revolutions worth pushing through? I have to admit I've probably only read about 20-30 pages of each side, but it just hasn't hooked me like House of Leaves did. I definitely prefer the more modern language style in HoL, but what I find makes it really difficult to get into is constantly rotating the book back and forth. I loved the strange styling throughout HoL, but in Only Revolutions it feels sort of like a gimmick. I like the concept, but at the same time it'd be easier if he was just written all in the same order, just split up by when you should switch (like the recommended 8 pages or whatever).

And to get back on topic, I saw someone with a Kindle on the bus a little earlier today, and just happened to get a glance of the screen, which was amazing looking. I still couldn't justify one for myself though. If you already had a Kindle, a Kindle application for the iPhone or Pre or whatever sounds great, but if you don't there's a ton of other alternatives which are probably better anyway. (eReader comes to mind, even though again, I don't like DRM).
    is Only Revolutions worth pushing through? I have to admit I've probably only read about 20-30 pages of each side, but it just hasn't hooked me like House of Leaves did.
    Only Revolutions isn't on my favorites list, but I'm glad I read it through. My enjoyment of it was largely driven by sheer awe at the structure of the thing and the fact that he told a (reasonably) coherent story while maintaining all the different symmetry elements, word counts, hidden messages, etc.

After about 10 pages in each direction, I stopped thinking of it as a novel, and treated it as a long poem. It worked best for me to either literally read it aloud or at least subvocalize so I could pick up on the rhythms. So an audio book (or Kindle-esque read-aloud capability) makes sense.

And drifting back on topic, I wonder if the Pre would have enough CPU horsepower to pull off a text-to-speech thing? THAT would be a neat feature to have available as a system-service - not just for an ereader, but to vocalize alerts, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I'm afraid I have to point out that your opinion is based on ignorance, as you well acknowledge in your post. I use the word as defined in The New Oxford American Dictionary, looked up on the Kindle.

The Kindle dog-ears a page with the push of a button, without even reaching for the top corner. I hadn't highlighted anything yet, so I did a search for "blasphemy", and was immediately directed to the witty phrase in Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" that I had in mind. I then highlighted "Blasphemy is a victimless crime" with another button push, sans highlighter. Flipping back and forth between pages on the Kindle by the way, if you knew anything about it, is all too easy. EDIT: Forgot notes. Put them anywhere you like with the funny looking but functional qwerty keyboard. An icon then appears in the margin, and they can be erased too.

I plan to read some Joyce myself, on the Kindle. Dubliners is less than a dollar at the Kindle Store, and less than a minute away.
    Thank you so much. I wasn't aware that i was ignorant. Well said good sir.
    I think it would be kinda hard to read
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that eReader makes an appearance on the Pre, so that my existing books will be usable on it, though it really depends on what sort of protections are in place for the code... :-(

I personally prefer using an electronic device for reading books, as it means all my books are the same size and I can carry around as many as I want on a single device. It makes it easy to buy new ones as all I can quickly search through the catalog. It also means I don't have to go to a bookstore and hope they're stocking a rare or old book... Living in New Zealand, there isn't a big enough market for huge stores carrying everything you could possibly have dreamed of.

Also means I'm unlikely to lose my page, though it's possible (eReader *only saves on book closure*, which is insane).

I'd be very keen to see an Amazon eBook app on the Pre, provided that it's not tied to the Kindle in any way, shape or form. Way too expensive for a one-trick device. Also, I'm not sure if it supports Wireless, but if it doesn't I'd get none of the advantages, really.

As to the whole LCD screen thing, I stare at them every day for hours on end (being a programmer at work and a gamer at home :-D), so staring at the screen of my device to read a book isn't any different.

I also like that I can change the font or background or whatever with it. Currently set to the smallest font size on my Treo Pro, and I have no problems reading that, unless the bus is shaking around something wicked.
    Don't think many are reading 500 page newspaper articles though. I think I'd feel disjointed having to deal with all the page downs when a real book has so much more on one page where you can really develop more of a flow to your reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    At least for me, not an issue. I read books constantly on my 755p with no problem at all. Width of the 755p screen (and the Pre's) is comparable to a column in a newspaper or magazine, and no one complains about those being too narrow. Granted, the vertical length is much shorter, but I can page down faster and with less distraction from my reading than I can flip a page, so in practice it just isn't a problem.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Thank you so much. I wasn't aware that i was ignorant. Well said good sir.
    C'mon Merovingian get your avatars nose out of the air. I clearly and carefully said your opinion was based on ignorance, as you haven't used the Kindle. It also does everything you sited with relative ease.

I bought version 1 because I wasn't sure I would take to it, but I have. You won't find me knocking paper books though, because I have quite a fondness for them.

I chose the Kindle over the other readers because I don't want to be searching the net for downloads, plugging usb cables in and out, and dragging and dropping. It reminds me of when mp3's first became available and I spent hours, make that days, downloading (stealing) music and hardly listened to it.

A quarter of a million books at my fingertips is cool. Forgetting for a moment about annotating, indexing, bookmarking, highlighting, and stopping to just read a book for pleasure, the Kindle is remarkable.

Yesterday I sat outside in the sun for hours and read on the Kindle. My only interaction with it was to push a silent page turn button. I had a great afternoon.

Sorry to quote such a plebian phrase, but "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it" comes to mind. Then again, you are entitled to your opinion, but I would have more respect for it if it was better informed and based on actual usage of the Kindle.

By the way a Kindle app for the Pre, or should I say my next smartphone, is now a must have for me. Like they say, "It's the content, stupid!"
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/11/2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    this is the one app I'm most looking forward to. I bought my wofe a kindle last year for her birthday. At first she wasn't that into it, but now I can't get it out of her hands. And I want to be able to read those books I've bought for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    You can get all the Classics at manybooks.net. They are free and come in many formats, including: .azw for Kindle, several different .pdb for PalmOS/Garnet, .rtf, several .pdf, and for the old timers, .pkg for Newton.

I've been reading ebooks for years, great for reading in bed and not turning a light on.
    THANK YOU!!!! I've been looking for a series on Mobipocket, and couldn't find it for free, although it's about 100 years old! Manybooks.net had them all! I'm so excited! Thanks again, Detective!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12