Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am very excited for the new pre. i have read alot about it here and on other sites. one question that i have not seen i figured i would ask. this is not the very important for most people, but a must have for me.

will the pre be able to do Remote Desktop on the Pre?

what could we expect?

what could be done with a 3rd party web based app?

Thanks, Cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I'd be hoping there is a LogMeIn program for the Pre. That would be sweet, but I am sure it'll all be developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I'd be hoping there is a LogMeIn program for the Pre. That would be sweet, but I am sure it'll all be developed.
    RDP or LogMeIn would be great. I saw they released a LogMeIn iPhone app recently. It would definately be nice for an app for the Pre.
    I fugure if we pester LogMeIn they will do it. Might take a year and a half like the Iphone one that just came out but worth the wait. Love LogMeIn.
    I think the port is simple enough from iPhone to Pre. Might not be as hard as we think...
    As soon as I get my Pre this os one of the first companys I will email. i definetly need my remote desktop.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    As soon as I get my Pre this os one of the first companys I will email. i definetly need my remote desktop.
    Why wait? Email them now so they can get the app out sooner, maybe even by launch time. More buzz for them that way.
    Good idea!
    According to one of the McNamee videos, he claims apps from iPhone or Google Android would "port very quickly" to the Pre.

Found at about the 4:25 mark of this video:
    http://www.precentral.net/roger-mcnamee-our-hero
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/30/2009 at 07:34 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Logmein is one of the coolest apps.

I use it for my work machine. All the IT people kept saying that we have multiple firewalls, nothing can get in or out our system. To use remote access you have to get 3 approvals bla bla bla.

I installed logmein and was up and connected in no time.

If they make it for the pre it would be sweet. We should all get together and send them email.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onekoolfella View Post
    Logmein is one of the coolest apps.

I use it for my work machine. All the IT people kept saying that we have multiple firewalls, nothing can get in or out our system. To use remote access you have to get 3 approvals bla bla bla.

I installed logmein and was up and connected in no time.

If they make it for the pre it would be sweet. We should all get together and send them email.
    Be careful. This could be grounds for termination. It would be at most companies with decent security policies.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    Be careful. This could be grounds for termination. It would be at most companies with decent security policies.
    I'll second this useful tidbit. It's not a good idea to circumvent IT policy - especially regarding access to systems.

Hello Mr Security Guard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I'll second this useful tidbit. It's not a good idea to circumvent IT policy - especially regarding access to systems.

Hello Mr Security Guard!
    I'll third this. They probably told you that you wouldn't be able to because they don't want you to. Doing any work related stuff over an unsecured protocol like that not be very smart.

You might end up with a meeting with the Bobs
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I fugure if we pester LogMeIn they will do it. Might take a year and a half like the Iphone one that just came out but worth the wait. Love LogMeIn.
    Please remember that the iPhone 3G and iPhone OS 2.0 has not even been out for a year yet. Sure the SDK was available since March 2008, but only a few selected developers (sound familiar) were able to test their apps before the iPhone 3G was released.

All the iPhone could do in its first year was run web-connected apps. What will webOS be able to do in a year? I cannot wait to see.
    Okay so I was thinkin of a work-around to the lack of logmein or other remote desktop software for the Pre.

Can anyone try this: Install the Classic emulator, and then through the emulator install the basic Palm VNC software and see if that works? Might be a way to access your desktop remotely until logmein or others come up with an app.
    I can test this if someone can tell me where to download a VPN client (IPSEC) or PPP.
    I can confirm that EzRemote 1.5, a Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) Client works under Classic 1.0 on the Pre!
    EzRemote can be found via google search (I don't have enough posts to link
    EzRemote is a Windows Terminal Service and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) client for Palm OS that can remote control your XP and NT workstation.[/url]

I have successfully gotten it to work via EVDO and WiFi.

Hope this helps someone...!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealph View Post
    I can confirm that EzRemote 1.5, a Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) Client works under Classic 1.0 on the Pre!
    EzRemote can be found via google search (I don't have enough posts to link
    EzRemote is a Windows Terminal Service and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) client for Palm OS that can remote control your XP and NT workstation.[/url]

I have successfully gotten it to work via EVDO and WiFi.

Hope this helps someone...!
    Great info...does any know of a vpn client maybe IPSEC or PPP that I can try in classic?
    I used to use Mergic VPN on my Treo 700P in conjunction with EzRemote, PalmVNC, an FTP and SMB/File transfer prog etc..Haven't had a chance to try in classic.

Also, to hold me over until a better solution becomes apparent, I am able to use EzRemote to connect to a machine that has Logmein (ignition) installed. From there I can access all my remote machines from within Classic. I can't wait to see native support for these...
    I heard about Mergic VPN but I can't seem to find the program anywhere and the developers site no longer has it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast