Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes i know that more deets would be available as launch gets closer, but is anyone who is considering the Pre (and currently using TomTom on any device right now) even concerned that we might not be able to use TomTom on the Pre, except Sprint's GPS monthly service ?

I'm on my more than 2 yr old 700Wx and currently use TomTom on it via a BT gps receiver (also have OCN Navigator 8 as well, but it pales to TomTom) and it's great, whether i have cell signal or not. I have the Pre in my sights for sure but what is/are the possibilities of any other GPS software being developed for the Pre like TomTom?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I suppose we will have 3rd party GPS applications.

Actually, it should not be technically too hard to convert an online map service to a turn-by-turn GPS service once it has access to GPS info on your Pre. Map data licensing could be a problem, I have no knowledge of such legal issues.
    That is just one of my many concerns.
    The new trend is mothly service or a one time fee of $100 lifetime(garmin) for that SPECIFIC phone. And it's internet based. No "Offline Maps"

I have a Blackberry Storm and there is no OFFLINE gps solution. They all rely on internet over the phone.

So what we/you want is an Offline GPS solution the USA North America maps are a little over a Gig for most units. But i seriously don't think anyone is going to do it.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Tom tom has been moving away from smart phone support and probably won't create a pre version. However a solid palm emulator could probably run tom tom. I don't know what the other gps companies are doing. I think eventually the age of the separate gps is coming to an end as the screens on the smart phones get better and their gps chips get better.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    Tom tom has been moving away from smart phone support and probably won't create a pre version. However a solid palm emulator could probably run tom tom. I don't know what the other gps companies are doing. I think eventually the age of the separate gps is coming to an end as the screens on the smart phones get better and their gps chips get better.

only prob with emulator and Tom Tom is the Maps are getting old.. i think 2-3 years now no update? I could be wrong but not sure.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I would be very happy with Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search apps, but something like TomTom would be even better. I just don't want to be locked into something like TeleNav where we would have to pay Sprint a monthly fee to use it. Of course that could be a moot point if we have to sign up for an everything plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    only prob with emulator and Tom Tom is the Maps are getting old.. i think 2-3 years now no update? I could be wrong but not sure.
    yes, tomtom's program for wM is a couple of years old, but it runs fine on 800w and Treo Pro, does well compared to provider services such as telnav -- and you can apply brand new maps.

Garmin is current and up to date on Windows mobile in program and maps.

Navigon (third largest GPS company) has an good WM program

Igo and others have innovative programs that work well.

In other words in the world of windows mobile there are one time payment (~$100) top of the line full navigation programs that perform exactly like those on a dedicated GPS device, and make your wm handset as good as a dedicated device, and run very well well. Even if no updates were ever made again to any of these product lines software, they will not be obsolete before the pre is obsolete.

Moreover may windows mobile phones, such as the touch pro, the treo pro etc are fully "standalone GPS", meaning your GPS will work anywhere in the world and require no carrier signal. You obviously need a carrier signal for telenav and carrier subscription based programs. It is not clear whether the Pre will deliver standalone GPS at this time.

Will you see some programs that can exploit GPS position developed for the Pre? I think so. I think you will see little apps like geocacheing, tagging your pcitrues with position etc. But will a major player make a full dedicated nav program for user install and no monthly fees for the Palm webOS? It is doubtful this will be seen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    I would be very happy with Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search apps, but something like TomTom would be even better. I just don't want to be locked into something like TeleNav where we would have to pay Sprint a monthly fee to use it. Of course that could be a moot point if we have to sign up for an everything plan.
    It is not entirely moot since you can get European, latin American, Asian and other maps with the major programs adn use them when visiting overseas, and you can;t do that with teelnav
    Garmin recently (09/2008) updated their Palm software to version 5. Pretty good for a dying platform.
    So there is chance that they will look into this new Pre phone
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Garmin recently (09/2008) updated their Palm software to version 5. Pretty good for a dying platform.
    If you look at the number of windows mobile phones plus other windows ce devices you are talking tens and tens of millions. osweb wont have that kind of penetration for a very very long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    yes, tomtom's program for wM is a couple of years old, but it runs fine on 800w and Treo Pro, does well compared to provider services such as telnav -- and you can apply brand new maps.

Garmin is current and up to date on Windows mobile in program and maps.

Navigon (third largest GPS company) has an good WM program

Igo and others have innovative programs that work well.

In other words in the world of windows mobile there are one time payment (~$100) top of the line full navigation programs that perform exactly like those on a dedicated GPS device, and make your wm handset as good as a dedicated device, and run very well well. Even if no updates were ever made again to any of these product lines software, they will not be obsolete before the pre is obsolete.

Moreover may windows mobile phones, such as the touch pro, the treo pro etc are fully "standalone GPS", meaning your GPS will work anywhere in the world and require no carrier signal. You obviously need a carrier signal for telenav and carrier subscription based programs. It is not clear whether the Pre will deliver standalone GPS at this time.

Will you see some programs that can exploit GPS position developed for the Pre? I think so. I think you will see little apps like geocacheing, tagging your pcitrues with position etc. But will a major player make a full dedicated nav program for user install and no monthly fees for the Palm webOS? It is doubtful this will be seen soon.

It is not entirely moot since you can get European, latin American, Asian and other maps with the major programs adn use them when visiting overseas, and you can;t do that with teelnav
    TOMTOM for windows mobile is as current as their standalone GPS, but was only released in OEM devices, like HTC Diamond. There is no legal way to get it so far, although I am using it in a non-HTC device.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    TOMTOM for windows mobile is as current as their standalone GPS, but was only released in OEM devices, like HTC Diamond. There is no legal way to get it so far, although I am using it in a non-HTC device.
    Nope, while version 6 is not the newest for WinMo you can get 6 here: Amazon.com: Tom Tom Navigator 6 Software with Maps of the US and Canada (DVD) and Bluetooth GPS Receiver: Electronics
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

I am talking about V8.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I don't think Garmin wants to support any other smart phones anymore ..

Garmin and ASUS announce strategic alliance, nuviphone G60

Garmin and ASUS have just announced that they’ve entered into a strategic alliance and have subsequently re-branded the Garmin nuvifone as the nuviphone G60. What’s more is that both companies have promised to deliver several devices in 2009 with another device slated to make a charming pirouette entrance at Mobile World Congress. With the entire nuvifone lineup obviously very navigation oriented, the million dollar question is what OS will the lineup will be running. Apparently a ASUS chairman said at today’s press conference that it has yet to decide which OS to use with the G60 and that “[ASUS has] expertise in WinMo, Linux and Android, but we believe the software is more important than the OS.” While the aforementioned statement seems on the surface to be an example of extravagant exaggeration, we suppose that there is some truth to it as the people who are going to be picking up a G60 aren’t going to be doing so because of whatever OS it ships with. Now if you have a good memory for these kind of things you’ll recall that it wasn’t too long ago that we though the G60 would for sure be shipping with Android based upon statements from Garmin’s Asian Pacific Marketing Director, but then again companies obviously reserve the right to change their minds at any time. Expect to see the G60 out by the end of this quarter - a daunting task considering it’s still OSless…
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    I don't think Garmin wants to support any other smart phones anymore ..
    I don't think Garmin would cut off support for other smartphones just because they're releasing their own. It wouldn't make sense for them to limit their market to such a small crowd. They would still have to provide product support for their already released software and they could make more money by getting people to buy new software, as opposed to new hardware.
    FYI....if Sprint does require the simply everything plan for activations for the Palm Pre, then the telenav GPS feature will be included in the plans. I know some have posted that this plan will not be required, but it's still unknown at this time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why some think TomTom are not wanting to support the smart phone market. i'd be willing to bet that they do. They had an iPhone version all ready to go, but apple won't let them sell it.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I have Garmin Mobile XT v 4.10.30p. Have you seen or heard of any free downloads of these updated maps that would work with XT? Of course, Garmin wants you to buy the $99 package, but I think thats nuts for a map upgrade. Their site is a pain to navigate though, so was wondering if you had a link to a "downloads" page for map updates for XT.

TIA,

Micael
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I have Garmin Mobile XT v 4.10.30p. Have you seen or heard of any free downloads of these updated maps that would work with XT? Of course, Garmin wants you to buy the $99 package, but I think thats nuts for a map upgrade. Their site is a pain to navigate though, so was wondering if you had a link to a "downloads" page for map updates for XT.

TIA,

Micael
    Nop, only the new software V5.00.10p.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...=010-00579-00&)

To be eligible for a map update you must have registered your product and if there is a new map in certain timeframe (i can't remember), then you can download the new maps for free.

It worked for my garmin nuvi.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The problem with the subscription based GPS software is that you lose service if there is no data connection. That happened to me several times when I really needed directions, so I switched to TomTom software. When the maps are on your card, you don't need the data connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast