Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted my concerns here and wonder if anyone from the medical line will get one.
    I probably will when a GSM version is released but then again I am one of those who can't resist the flashy new toys
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I plan on getting a Pre, but will WAIT until there are WebOS compatible versions of ePocrates, and Skyscape Medical references. I can't part with my Treo 755p until then.

I'm also concerned about my ability to simply copy abstracts and other medical references on my laptop, and port over to the Pre. Right now, it's simple to cut and paste (albeit limited by Palm Memo size) into Palm Desktop, then sync with my Treo.

If Palm is smart, they'll really help push out Medical apps ASAP, as most of us are embrace leading edge technology, and will proselytize the Pre's capabilities to family and friends. I think I converted about 100 Medical colleagues to using the Treo over the past few years.
  3.    #3  
    Once I gave a talk on PDAs at a hospital and the next day, 15 doctors went out to get one lol.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I bought the palm m500(?hard to remember..) in order to get Epocrates in my PDA. I think you needed to have enough internal memory to get it to load. Was that 8 MB? I will probably wait until Epocrates is available to get the Pre. I would like to get the Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation Skyscape reference as well. Perhaps an emulator would work for these? I also hope there is a Remote Desktop application (to allow me to review my office EMR) available early on. With these 3 things I am all set. I'm waiting for the GSM version, so there may be enough time for these apps to come out before the Pre arrives. On the other hand my 680 is starting to wear pretty badly, with the paint coming off the keys....A brief trip over to Sprint may be in the cards.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    ALl i need to buy it without blinking is ePocrates like the iPhone version and Styletap!!
  6.    #6  
    Believe it or not, I do occasionally refer to UpToDate on my Centro and with the default font it is manageable for a short period of time. Great when on the way to the wards and when one needs to look up obscure things or brush up on some info. I do much prefer to use the big screen though in my clinic.
    I now have UpToDate installed in my Treo Pro and it seems to run a bit faster than the Centro as far as searches go.
    Now with the Pre, I would have to rely on an Internet connection to access UpToDate online which would be slower than accessing it locally. I hope UpToDate will be ported to WebOS in time.
    I have no problems with Medcalc on the Centro. I can't do without Medcalc and unless Mathias is kind enough to port it over to WebOS I shall definitely have to wait for the emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    No with the Pre, I woul have to rely on an Internet connection to access UpToDate online which would be slower than accessing it locally.
    Not true. This whole cloud thing is confusing many users I think. Just because the default applications retrieve data from the 'cloud' doesn't mean that all applications have to, it'll be the developer's choice. Also, most things such as contacts and calendar that can work with the 'cloud' will be locally cached anyway, so you'll always have a local copy.
  8.    #8  
    I meant that until UpTodate comes up with a WebOS version, we would have to resort to using the Pre's browser to access uptodate.com
  9.    #9  
    Unless Apple does an about turn on (dis)allowing emulators, I don't think we'll ever see Styletap for the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I've used epocrates almost daily on my treos for years. I carry my laptop from room to room to see my patients, but the speed of looking things up on the phone beats anything the additional screen size of the laptop gets me. Uptodate on the treo is terrific in meetings and on the go when you are not near a fired up computer. Again, the instant-on-ness of the phone beats the computer screen hands down for a quick check. I won't be switching to the iphone as the form factor is not convenient for me. I hope the slider on the Pre works well, yet I still would be happy to have my old treo form factor with the wifi 3G etc, and perhaps the convenience of total contact convergence of the WebOS. (Now if I can just talk the security paranoid folks at the health network to let me get my email securely direct to my phone instead of through their clunky browser interface...)
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    I agree with Palmdoc that its never going to happen. You'll see Vista running on an Treo before you'll see Apple opening things up enough to allow Styletap on the iPhone.
    Any of you doing charge capture on your Treos? Wonder if there will be any takers for WebOS. WM has so few offerings in this regard.
    I won't get Pre until one or both of the following are true:
    1) emulator to let me use all the essential Garnet medical software
    2) all the current medical software is rewritten for the Pre

Who knows how long either could take. Everyone else is dazzled by the web, e-mail, music, PIM stuff, and phone. But as a physician, I need first and foremost a fully-stocked PDA brimming with medical software to assist me in my work every day. If I have to, I'd rather go with a Tungsten E2 and my 1999 Star-tac ugly as sin screenless cellphone than a fancy-schmancy Pre if there is insufficient medical software.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I won't get Pre until one or both of the following are true:
    1) emulator to let me use all the essential Garnet medical software
    2) all the current medical software is rewritten for the Pre

Who knows how long either could take. Everyone else is dazzled by the web, e-mail, music, PIM stuff, and phone. But as a physician, I need first and foremost a fully-stocked PDA brimming with medical software to assist me in my work every day. If I have to, I'd rather go with a Tungsten E2 and my 1999 Star-tac ugly as sin screenless cellphone than a fancy-schmancy Pre if there is insufficient medical software.
    -- Josh

The only thing i worry about with all these apps is the developers don't get to upset at all the new platforms they now have to program for, and take the cheap way out. Nokia/iPhone/Blackberry(storm/regular ones)/Android. I'm not a Dr. but i'm a programmer and i'm kinda worried that some of these companies are going to do web based apps only because there are to many different variables/languages to program to. so WAP cell phone sites might become the norm.

All the new Nav programs are only internet based. NONE are stored locally on the phone. What if you have no signal? Then no Nav update to screen... where you have no signal is the last place you wanna be lost! Same for Med field towards the centers of the buildings there is sometimes NO signal even with Verizon. GSM stinks inbuildings and the wavelength doesn't penetrate walls as well as cdma(at least thats what i've been told higher the Freq shorter the wavelength = less get through).

All these Med Apps should be EASILY ported over. The databases are 100% the whole program, just have to design the front end. Should Possibly take a month TOPS with the WebOS if it's based of Dynamic Web Page design as they say.
    I started using the epocrates web interface just to see how it handled... and I have been pleasantly surprised at its speed. Granted I have been using a laptop but the speed that the pages loaded was more than fast enough for my needs.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    i will wait until my specific apps become compatible or at least an emulator comes out
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Any of you doing charge capture on your Treos? Wonder if there will be any takers for WebOS. WM has so few offerings in this regard.
    We do charge capture with Patient Keeper on Treo 700w (but it works on a Palm device, too--just our IT only support WM and Blackberry). PK and charge capture will switch to Blackberries later in the spring. Epocrates will already run on Blackberries, but the web version runs great with iPhones already, too. There will be no problem with Epocrates on the Pre with the web version. They Epocrates folks are already thinking about how to get Epocrates Essentials integrated into both Pre and iPhone. Uptodate will probably run with the Pre browser. I use MD on Tap on my 700p, and will have to see what the NLM does with that or if we'll have to use Pubmed with the browser. Will also have to see if the StatCoder programs will get ported over and if MedCalc will get ported. I use List and MobileDB on my 700p for simple databases and "pearls." I am switching now to Excel and SplashNotes since these are more likely to work with the Pre eventually. I will miss ABGpro, Levy Coma outcome predictor, and ABI (anoxic brain injury), all programs I have been using for more than 8 yrs.

So I will have a Blackberry for billing and hospital/corporate email, and probably for Epocrates Essentials and Uptodate. And I will have Pre for whatever programs get ported over and for personal use, and I will likely use Pre as my pager. I currently have a 700w and a 700p. I still like the 700p much better.
    I've been nursing my Treo 650 along for years waiting for the "next big thing." The Pre looks like it may eventually fit the bill but not right away. Like many, I use ePocrates on a daily basis. I also have UpToDate on my 650, although the search engine seems primitive and it is often frustrating trying to find the information I need. Since it's more or less official that POS is a dead OS then I'll have to move on. Now that the Treo Pro will be offered by Sprint I'll likely go that route for now. After 2 years when my latest Sprint contract is up and WebOS has (hopefully) matured then I may make the switch to the Pre at that point. In fact, it will likely be a next-generation Pre by that time. As far as applications, I suspect that much of what we have installed on our devices today will become web-based in the future so that it doesn't matter which device or OS you use. The key will be that your device and internet connection are fast and reliable.
    you can make all you want OTA, but inside many hospitals there will be no reception. In that case all you have is installed progs. I can never have a data connection to look up uptodate or epocrates deep inside the hospital.
    Obviously, I'm no doctor but wouldn't the simple solution to no single be wifi in the building or at the center of buildings. Docs could have internet access on all wifi phones for their programs.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast