Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Wouldn't Epocrates work w/Motion App Classic? Or was it not available w/the Classic?

Cheers
    Yes, it will work with the Motion App classic application, which is the epocrates' "company line" when asked abut their product for the pre.
    Last edited by rbcmd; 06/02/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    They just pointed me to a link on the website that demonstrated using Classic with the old epocrates which to me looks completely useless because the tabs/text are too small on the Pre screen, and without the stylus you wouldn't be able to make accurate selections.
    I haven't looked into it since the initial announcement but I believe you can pinch and zoom apps within classic to get around this tiny text/stylus problem.
    Like I said I have no idea if that feature is good enough to meet our needs since I really don't want to use the old PalmOS epocrates app. I would rahter have a new app like the iphones app. The iphone app is even better than epocrates online and I feel slighted everytime I go to look up information on my 680 only to find that it is not as complete as the iphone app.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Delete - already answered
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I'm also concerned about my ability to simply copy abstracts and other medical references on my laptop, and port over to the Pre. Right now, it's simple to cut and paste (albeit limited by Palm Memo size) into Palm Desktop, then sync with my Treo.
    I do this all the time w/ my 800w. All I do is cut-paste into an email and then send it to myself. It's actually faster than doing a full sync.
    Maybe they'll add imaging and medical database apps like they've done for the iPhone. Hopefully they can do this soon though to stay in and encourage competition.
    Now that the real limitations of the Pre are coming out, I am very dismayed, and not likely to get a Pre. I have almost 700 Memos (medical reference info) on my Treo 755, organized by category, and adding more constantly. The Pre Memo app is a joke... no categories, no list option, not even searchable. Adding insult to inury, the Pre cut and paste function apparently does not work on webpages, so I can't even copy abstracts and articles to save as Memos. Despite Palms admission that ePocrates must be available at launch, it apparently will not be (other than the emulator option). I've been a Palm user since the original Palm Pilot. IMHO, it looks like Palm has again veered way off course, by neglecting the basic PDA features that drew professionals (medical, legal, others) to the platform years ago. Now, under the (? mis)guidance of Jon Rubenstein, Palm has traded functionality for bling, to compete with the iPhone, rather than build on it's prior strengths. If Palm didn't have the foresight to address these issues from day one, I can't see them burning the midnight oil to rectify this anytime soon. Looks like I'll keep using my Treo 755for now, while looking for another platform to eventually replace it. I'm pissed!
    Correction. Apparently the Memos are searchable from within the app (but not in the global search). That would help, but still no easy way to categorize them or paste content from the web.
    Epocrates recently updated their Pre FAQ section with this (at least I haven't seen it before):

"During the past several months, we have been working closely with Palm and MotionApps to ensure that users who purchase a Palm Pre and the MotionApps Classic Palm OS emulator will be able to use our current Palm OS applications* on their device. However, the initial release of webOS and the Classic emulator do not fully support all functionalities of Epocrates' products. Based on our discussions with Palm and Motion Apps, we believe that Epocrates will be fully supported within the next one to two months. "

UGH! Does this mean there won't even be a native app (for at least 1-2 months), and they're counting on the emulator to help us??? I thought palm said in their news conferences they were working as hard to have epocrates available at launch!
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    Epocrates recently updated their Pre FAQ section with this (at least I haven't seen it before):

"During the past several months, we have been working closely with Palm and MotionApps to ensure that users who purchase a Palm Pre and the MotionApps Classic Palm OS emulator will be able to use our current Palm OS applications* on their device. However, the initial release of webOS and the Classic emulator do not fully support all functionalities of Epocrates' products. Based on our discussions with Palm and Motion Apps, we believe that Epocrates will be fully supported within the next one to two months. "

UGH! Does this mean there won't even be a native app (for at least 1-2 months), and they're counting on the emulator to help us??? I thought palm said in their news conferences they were working as hard to have epocrates available at launch!
    Actually, it sounds like ePocrates might be relying entirely on Motion Apps to run on the Pre. So much for easy app development using the WebOS. I'm getting more and more queezy by the minute.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123