Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Obviously, I'm no doctor but wouldn't the simple solution to no single be wifi in the building or at the center of buildings. Docs could have internet access on all wifi phones for their programs.
    Many hospitals have wifi but not all. In time, I think it will become ubiquitous and wifi devices will solve the problem of signal reception. I am a hospitalist (inpatient physician) and, as such, spend all my work day in a hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I posted my concerns here and wonder if anyone from the medical line will get one.
    I probably will when a GSM version is released but then again I am one of those who can't resist the flashy new toys
    I will likely buy one as soon as possible. If this thing catches on like the iPhone did, versions of medical software will be released for it. After all, most of what we use is largely text-based reference guides, so I don't imagine porting such programs would be all that difficult (especially with multitouch and screen size identical to iPhone).

My current phone is a Mogul, and it works for what it is-- epocrates, pepid, and thomson micromedex for pda run well, but otherwise I can't wait to upgrade. I use google products extensively-- calendar, gmail, documents-- and I can't wait to sync to the google cloud effortlessly. I was considering an Android-based phone for that very reason, until the pre was announced.

Until medical programs are released for it we can always just bookmark emedicine and other useful websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Obviously, I'm no doctor but wouldn't the simple solution to no single be wifi in the building or at the center of buildings. Docs could have internet access on all wifi phones for their programs.
    Constantly-on wifi would drain the batteries so fast they'd need a touchstone at every nursing station.

My facility does have wifi, except it seems that access codes are limited to 7 days max.
    I think what we can hope for is that the Pre catches on and sells, prompting these medical software developers to develop for it.
    So is anyone else as totally psyched as I am that Colligan mentioned Epocrates as something that needs to be around at launch? I e-mailed support at Epocrates about making a web-os app immediately after seeing the Pre launch and was informed by someone at support that they would pass the suggestion along to product development. I'm so glad to hear that there was enough demand to make this app a priority.

I use epocrates more than almost ANY app on my 700. Whenever I pick up an important tidbit about dosing, interactions etc I immediately type it into the 'notes' section of epocrates under that drug. Then, the next time I'm writing for it, I have that key info at hand. I'm SO thrilled to see that title as a priority! I was dreading having to go back to 2 devices to keep that title at hand, and hopefully now I won't have to.

Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    So is anyone else as totally psyched as I am that Colligan mentioned Epocrates as something that needs to be around at launch? I e-mailed support at Epocrates about making a web-os app immediately after seeing the Pre launch and was informed by someone at support that they would pass the suggestion along to product development. I'm so glad to hear that there was enough demand to make this app a priority.

I use epocrates more than almost ANY app on my 700. Whenever I pick up an important tidbit about dosing, interactions etc I immediately type it into the 'notes' section of epocrates under that drug. Then, the next time I'm writing for it, I have that key info at hand. I'm SO thrilled to see that title as a priority! I was dreading having to go back to 2 devices to keep that title at hand, and hopefully now I won't have to.

Riz
    "DITTO"

I needed the "Epocrates" on release or the "Skyscape". I haven't used Epocrates in long time.

I guess we will have something on the "LAUNCH"
    Currently have been using Palm OS PDA/Smartphone throughout my medical career. I had my first Palm OS device over 10 years ago. Now, I have a VZW Centro and it has been indispensible. I use it everyday. In addition to having 10+ years worth of contact data, I have collected numerous medical programs that I use daily. I also have a huge amount of data in my memo pad. The PIM on Palm OS has been excellent. Planning meetings/time, etc has been a breeze using Palm's built-in calendar.

Of course, Epocrates Essentials is used everyday. Just like Palmdoc, also have UpToDate on my PC/Mac, via internet @ office, and also installed on memory card for Centro.

Once the Palm Pre is available on Verizon, there will hopefully be enough medical apps on it for me to make the switch.

There are also other programs that I rely on daily....such as Ultrasoft Money program which integrates nicely with Microsoft Money and keep track of my finances on the go. I love TakePhone on the Centro. Weather programs suchs HourXcast (written in Java) or 4Cast have been neat. Also still use my first weather program kMeteo.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting the Palm Pre once it matures and hopefully Palm has learned it lessons in terms of having the device fairly bug-free (don't want it to be like the Blackberry Touch....or Treo 700p)

I like the Pre over iPhone (even though I also own a Mac & iPod) because of the real keyboard and removable battery.

Hopefully the Pre's email program is morel like Chattermail and less like Versamail as we know it.

The multi-tasking "card" metaphor is awesome.

Well, hopefully Palm Pre will be released to other carriers because Sprint cell reception is okay, but rather have VZW extensive 3G network.
    I would be more psyched if there was both SKYSCAPE and EPOCRATES
  9.    #29  
    Well I think Epocrates will be there at launch or soon after launch. I suspect Skyscape will be able to get their products available for the Pre up and running quickly as well.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    If Palm really wants to attract medical users they need to develop a killer application that would allow the phone to receive pages, messages, and phone calls regardless what type of signal (Cellular or WIFI) is available. (OK I really need this.) If such an application was available, we could finally ditch our pagers. Please consider this. Please.

Here's how it might work
    1) If a cell phone network is detected, the phone sends/receives messages, pages, and voice calls over cellular
    2) If no cellular network is detected, the phone sends/receives messages, pages, and voice calls over WIFI (if present) automatically

What does everyone think? What does Palm think?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Well I think Epocrates will be there at launch or soon after launch. I suspect Skyscape will be able to get their products available for the Pre up and running quickly as well.
    Epocrates is excellent and such support would be ideal.

Skyscape...their products may be decent in content but when I demoed in on windows mobile, it installed like 8 different sub-programs and was a huge pain in the arse to manage.
    I certainly hope there is an emulator from whatever source. There are a lot of free little medical apps for Palm OS that will probably not ever get redone for a different platform simply because they are free and don't get much usage. Some of them, I've written.

One has to wonder, though, who would want to take several months to develop an emulator for Palm OS,a platform that nobody develops software for, anymore, as of sometime this year. Once all of the hardcore Palm OS devotees buy the program, what possible future is there for the emulator? Most software developers like working on projects that have a future, not just a present. Think about it.

You're developing an emulator that allows programs from a platform that nobody develops for anymore to a new platform that may or may not take off.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I certainly hope there is an emulator from whatever source. There are a lot of free little medical apps for Palm OS that will probably not ever get redone for a different platform simply because they are free and don't get much usage. Some of them, I've written.
    Same here. That's why I want an emulator, I want to be able to use my programs and yours and a few other small really useful programs like Tim Allen's OB Wheel, STFM's Shots 2009, as well as the big programs like ePocrates.

And I don't know how to program in HTML or Javascript, so I'm probably done programming.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    One has to wonder, though, who would want to take several months to develop an emulator for Palm OS,a platform that nobody develops software for, anymore, as of sometime this year. Once all of the hardcore Palm OS devotees buy the program, what possible future is there for the emulator? Most software developers like working on projects that have a future, not just a present. Think about it.
    There are only two parties who would theoretically be interested in an emulator, Palm itself, or a software developer.
    - software developer might see emulator as way to make money on the continuing users of Garnet. Audience is limited and dwindling.
    - Palm might want to attract users to its Pre device. If they have emulator, then they instantly have thousands of apps ready to attact users. Garnet apps are not polished new webOS apps, but if it brings customers to a new device which otherwise struggles to compete, maybe they choose to do so. But Palm has already decided. No emulator.

Very disappointing to me.
    -- Josh
    I emailed Skyscape, inquiring about their support for the Palm Pre, and this was their reply...

"... our engineering team is working on it to make the products compatible on this platform. I will not be able to provide you with exact time frame or date of release, however you can be rest assured that as soon as this feature is made available, you will be notified by mailer and also this will be flashed on our website... "

Doesn't sound like they'll be ready for the Pre launch, but hopefully soon!
    I know I have seen Epocrates mentioned as a possible application supported at the release. Has anyone seen anything in any of the reviews? Any more information on Epocrates on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpong View Post
    I know I have seen Epocrates mentioned as a possible application supported at the release. Has anyone seen anything in any of the reviews? Any more information on Epocrates on the Pre?
    I have been wondering the same thing... I also have been keeping my eye out for an UpToDate app but I haven't seen much on either.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Epocrates is a really important app for me, so I've been trying to dig stuff up. In that document that was leaked that listed applications that would be availible at launch or sometime soon after, they did list epocrates on there, so it could be coming soon.

I've also contacted epocrates customer support 2 separate times and none of them have a clue when they'll release it (it could be that they are still under a NDA or something). They just pointed me to a link on the website that demonstrated using Classic with the old epocrates which to me looks completely useless because the tabs/text are too small on the Pre screen, and without the stylus you wouldn't be able to make accurate selections.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Wouldn't Epocrates work w/Motion App Classic? Or was it not available w/the Classic?

Cheers
    Pre focus is information management - it will be quicker to develop data centric applications for the Pre so I suspect it won't be long for a roster of Medical Pre apps to come.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast