Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    This is the major issue with the Pre for my usage. It might be a long time to never for Sling to be on the Pre. Iphone doesnt even have it yet and may never. and 800W user have waited forever for a version for them that works.

Apple still will not allow Sling to make it for the iphone and we have no clue if Palm will allow them to make one for the Pre. While it pains me to say I think all Pre buyers need to understand that there probally will not be Sling Player avaliable for the Pre for the forseable future. It doesnt matter if Sling wants to make it for the Pre , they will not unless Palm accepts them into the developers program. Thats why they will not release the version that they have for the Iphone. there is one in beta that got leaked out but Sling will not illegally put it out there no matter how much the Iphoners beg. Sucks. So far my only PRE drawback as I love and use Slingplayer on my Palm/Windows phones more than anything.

If and when sling gets the SDK it roughly will be like year to get the thing out. They havent started working on a verison for Android yet. Dont get the pre if you cant live without Sling.
    IMO, Apple isn't allowing the slingplayer for the iPhone because of bandwidth. AT&T seems to have them by the balls in that regard. That and the locked down Apple only allowed software deal.

Is Palm not releasing the SDK? I thought it was in beta and will be released once it's ready. Even if they don't release it to the public, why would Palm want to keep developers from developing applications for WebOS? It makes no sense.

What I am saying here is the logic of why the iPhone doesn't have a slingplayer app doesn't apply to the Pre. Your Windows Mobile comparison is more in line, but, like stated in this thread, a slingplayer sounds like it will be MUCH easier to develop on WebOS than Windows Mobile.

My 2 cents.

- Nick
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Have a read on the Forums of Sling , they have no intention at this time to even start making an app so even if they get access to the SDK its a year atleast as all have said. And it was said over at the sling forums hat sling would wnot be in the developers program and get the SDK . but again sling hasnt even started on the android one they are thinking about and say they will get to in the future.

I have to think long and hard about this phone , I love it but no SD and Sling player is a bummer.
    Another option, put TV tuner card in pc and use Orb to watch TV on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    I am sure either way that Sling Media will develop the software for the Pre.
    Nothing is sure. I believe Sling, like most other large vendors, will wait and see what the market's response is. IF the Pre sells in sufficient quantity, they will likely develop for it. If not.....

It's one thing for hobbyists and small development firms to take a flier on a new platform. But companies like Sling are going to do a cost-benefit analysis on any new product efforts.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Another option, put TV tuner card in pc and use Orb to watch TV on your phone.
    Which begs then next question. Will Orb work on the Pre?
    thanks for all the info...
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Which begs then next question. Will Orb work on the Pre?
    Orb is just a web interface that links to video streams. These streams can be set to the codecs the Pre supports. I see no reason why it wouldn't work out of the box.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    SlingPlayer on WebOS has been in my mind for a while- I don't even have a Slingbox .

With Flash, that could always be a possibility, right?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    SlingPlayer on WebOS has been in my mind for a while- I don't even have a Slingbox .

With Flash, that could always be a possibility, right?

As I understand, currently, Slingboxes use WMV to stream video, so flash would not work unless it was re-encoded on the Pre (a possibility perhaps). I see the web-based slingplayer like on the sling.com beta site as good karma for a WebOS version.
    I hate to revive a dead thread, but I'm wondering... We heard that "Sling Media" would be available "at or near launch." Is there still hope at all? Or could Flash provide an opportunity for a Slingplayer?
    Sling Player where are you? i loved you on my iphone, but when i moved to webos you never showed. you're my long lost love....come see me, we can make it work...i forgive you baby, it'll be alright, we can be together again just like before....do you remember the times??? the time we laid in bed together watching Jay Leno....you were so beautiful...you used to love it when i stuck my jack in you to listen through my ear buds....come back baby, i love and miss you
    Quote Originally Posted by courtlandk View Post
    Sling Player where are you? i loved you on my iphone, but when i moved to webos you never showed. you're my long lost love....come see me, we can make it work...i forgive you baby, it'll be alright, we can be together again just like before....do you remember the times??? the time we laid in bed together watching Jay Leno....you were so beautiful...you used to love it when i stuck my jack in you to listen through my ear buds....come back baby, i love and miss you
    Haha..funny post. Sadly I gave up hope a long time ago for a WebOS slingplayer. I learned my lesson not to count on rumors. Sling was supposed to be a launch partner and there were all sorts of rumors that it was in the works. I thought it would eventually arrive. I had it on my old WinMo phone and have missed it ever since I got the Pre.

I use it all the time on my ipad2. It is one of the factors for me to go with iphone5 in Oct.

I wouldn't expect it anytime soon (probably ever). I wouldn't think anyone is developing for webos while it is in limbo.

Bummer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12