Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By evacaf
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the Touchstone Charger will work with the new Samsung S6?
    It won't. The Touchstone is a proprietary standard. (Hey, I wonder who owns that IP! Qualcomm? HP?)

The State of Wireless Charging Standards in Mobile

It's likely your phone will be Qi compatible - check your manual.

But some have modified their phones to work with the touchstone system. There will be threads on that on this forum and here are a couple of random examples from the internet:
    How to mod HTC EVO 3D for use with Palm Touchstone wireless charger - Pocketables
    Samsung Galaxy S III modded for Touchstone charging - SlashGear

I don't know that it's any better at charging, but those alignment magnets make it easy to use.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/05/2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Mutoidi and toaste like this.
  3.    #3  
    That's what I thought - had a Samsung rep tell me that the S6 would work with a Palm Touchstone charger. I thought it was weird but he was adamant that it would. Made me start to think that Palm was the originator of the Qi standard.

Had a box full of new Touchstone chargers too that i thought I suddenly had new found use for!
    The rep is almost certainly full of it. Unless he meant you could modify the S6 to use it "which may be possible".
    Last edited by evacaf; 04/12/2015 at 12:58 AM.
    xandros9 and carldc like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It won't. The Touchstone is a proprietary standard. (Hey, I wonder who owns that IP! Qualcomm? HP?)

The State of Wireless Charging Standards in Mobile

It's likely your phone will be Qi compatible - check your manual.

But some have modified their phones to work with the touchstone system. There will be threads on that on this forum and here are a couple of random examples from the internet:
    How to mod HTC EVO 3D for use with Palm Touchstone wireless charger - Pocketables
    Samsung Galaxy S III modded for Touchstone charging - SlashGear

I don't know that it's any better at charging, but those alignment magnets make it easy to use.
    You are missing links to Whitby:
    http://m.webosnation.com/nexus-4-gai...clever-hacking
    http://m.webosnation.com/nexus-7-tou...esy-rod-whitby

Also search "touchstone cover" on ebay and you will find premade covers for the galaxy s3, s4 and even Iphone 6

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I swear if I ever find a glut of time (maybe I'll just take a vacation to do some of this stuff..) ...

You can purchase Qi modules pretty darn cheap through various online outlets, and it shouldn't be difficult to convert a touchstone to use it.. if it will fit.

Otherwise, any device that has a 3.6v battery and you can fit a Palm coil in can be converted. :-D
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I don't think you can get a Qi charging plate to work with a Touchstone. However, there are a couple of retailers on eBay who sell repurposed Touchstone charging antennas you can put into some of the Samsung Galaxy phones. I have a TS coil in my S4 and it works fine, but it is a little finicky to get it to line up right. The S4 is much broader and longer than the Pre3, and it takes a little practice to get the puck to "grab" the phone correctly.

The two questions I don't have an answer for are:

1) Does the S6 have a metal back? If so, you'll need to find a plastic back for the TS magnetic field to reach through to the coil.
    2) Has anyone yet devised a modified TS coil which fits the interior charging contacts under the S6 back cover? If not, you might have to modify the contacts yourself to fit.

Something like this attaches to the inside of the phone's back cover with contact paper. Makes the cover bulge a bit, but I have a bumper case on mine for that.

DIY Wireless Charging Coil Receiver for HP Palm Pixi Touchstone | eBay

I can't find any of the ones which were made specifically for the S4, but the only difference was that the contacts for the interior charging points were already aligned. That's not hard to do with a little copper tape.

Add-on Qi antennas are also available for a number of phone models through eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    1). Does the S6 have a metal back?
    The S6 has a Gorilla Glass (4) back, I believe.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Well, given that the S6 has two wireless charging receivers in it... :P

A Qi coil would fit into a Touchstone. You just have to make the room. If you are adventurous.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

A Qi coil would fit into a Touchstone. You just have to make the room. If you are adventurous.
    Using the magnetic location assistance could be tricky tho!
    This seems a fairly practical unit for the S6 anyway:

Qi Wireless Charger Charging Stand 3 Coils Samsung Galaxy S6 1 5A | eBay

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/08/2015 at 02:21 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  11.    #11  
    Dang, I was hoping it would work out of the box!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

I want to try that, anyone knows a how to i found some coils which are determined to match:

Andoer Qi Wireless Charger PCBA Circuit Board mit Qi: Amazon.de: Elektronik

http://www.amazon.de/Single-Samsung-...ref=pd_cp_23_3

Anyone already did a FrankenQiStone??
    if the back is glass and you can't get magnets inside, how will it stay on the sloped TS?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    if the back is glass and you can't get magnets inside, how will it stay on the sloped TS?
    As for me i'm not thinking about S6 but about BB PRIV (no slippy glass), just threadjacked with my post. Touchstone also would need an extension beneath i think as those new devices are colossal.
    I have a s6 active and the TS charger doesn't work. The Samsung wireless charger doesn't charge the pre3 either. The Samsung charger does charge the blackberry classic tho..