1.    #1  
    There is an old thread on this topic but it was last updated two years ago so I am starting a new thread. The old thread reported some successes but only charging at "low" rate with the Power Source warning.

My interest was rekindled by my need to supplement the TouchPad Battery capacity on long flights, It was also because I thought I had found the perfect base unit worthy of modification. As you will see, this proved to be only partially true.

The base unit is a "30000mAh Solar Panel Power Bank External Battery Charger Dual USB" which is specified as:

Brand new and high quality.
    Stylish, portable ,user-friendly,easy to carry for on the go use.
    High capacity,solar powered,environmentally-friendly.
    Emergency charger for cell phone and other compatible devices.
    Battery capacity: About 30000mAh.
    Output voltage: DC 5.5V
    Input voltage: DC 5V
    Size: 13cm x 8cm x 1.5cm-5.12inch x 3.15inch x 0.59inch.
    Color: Black, Silver, Red, Blue.Pink

The economy with the truth is only apparent when the unit is opened to reveal that the accumulator is a pair of 18650 Lithium Ion batteries in parallel! These have a maximum claimed capacity of 6,000mAH each so 30,000mAH is a tall claim.

HOWEVER: The good points are that:

The case will hold 5 18650 Batteries so it is possible to beef it up to near the claimed capacity

The Solar Panel delivers ~ 1.5 W of power so it will produce "emergency" power if stranded in a Desert!

The Electronics work essentially as specified and provide charging and dc to dc conversion to provide ~5.25V @2A and 1A on the two ports.

The case comes apart quite easily to reveal the Batteries and Circuit Board. The Board has the characteristic four resistors required to provide the Apple configuration on the data pins.

So, out with the soldering tackle and whip off the four resistors ... and replace them with a bridge on the Data lines and the 240K to +5 and 300k to Gnd and it is now charging my TouchPad at 1700mA as reported by Govnah.

I will be road testing it over the next couple of weeks and if it performs, I will replace the pair of 18650's with a FULL bank of 5 batteries. I will report back here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 07/18/2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Case will hold up to 5 x 18650 Batteries (not 6 as suggested previously)
    for emergency top-ups i got this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its not too bad, 2 different usb ports for differing amperage, its about the size of a 6" android phone, tho about twice the depth of one, does its business just fine, your solar powered idea aint too bad tho, how big is that beastie boy your lugging around tho?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    for emergency top-ups i got this
    AnkerŪ Astro 3E 10000mAh Portable Charger Dual USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

its not too bad, 2 different usb ports for differing amperage, its about the size of a 6" android phone, tho about twice the depth of one, does its business just fine, your solar powered idea aint too bad tho, how big is that beastie boy your lugging around tho?
    See the spec in my post above:
    Weight is 160 Gms.

You would still have to modify the Amazon device to get it to charge the TouchPad at full rate.
    I have this Verbatim one which is supposed to give 2A 5V, but doesn't charge the TP :'( Any suggestions for a mod that would allow me to charge the TP with it properly?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    See the spec in my post above:
    Weight is 160 Gms.

You would still have to modify the Amazon device to get it to charge the TouchPad at full rate.
    is that weight with the 5-6 batterys you mentioned? and yeah the touchpad doesnt really charge, i use it more for the pre3 and my cheapo chineese tablets atm.

EDIT: checked that picture out, is that a micro-usb to help charge it up quicker, looks like a pretty nifty device tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6.    #6  
    Herrie, The modification is described in the penultimate paragraph of my opening post. The "lines" are the four lines of the USB A Plug.

Geekpeter, The weight is of the unit as I bought it with Two 18650 Batteries in it. Yes, the Charging port is a standard MicroUSB socket so you don't need to carru a MiniUSB cable or adapter.

I don't have the time to order and fit the additional Batteries as I fly off on vacation tomorrow. I will do this when I get back next month.

p.s. I bought a couple of HP Slate 7 HD Tablets and they charge perfectly well from a TouchPad configured Charger though the Slate 7 Charger only has the Data Pins bridged with a 10 Ohm Resistor and a 1K Bleed across the +5V and Gnd lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Herrie, The modification is described in the penultimate paragraph of my opening post. The "lines" are the four lines of the USB A Plug.

Geekpeter, The weight is of the unit as I bought it with Two 18650 Batteries in it. Yes, the Charging port is a standard MicroUSB socket so you don't need to carru a MiniUSB cable or adapter.

I don't have the time to order and fit the additional Batteries as I fly off on vacation tomorrow. I will do this when I get back next month.

p.s. I bought a couple of HP Slate 7 HD Tablets and they charge perfectly well from a TouchPad configured Charger though the Slate 7 Charger only has the Data Pins bridged with a 10 Ohm Resistor and a 1K Bleed across the +5V and Gnd lines.
    Do I need to open it up for that or can do it in the cable? Are the resistors the same value or might vary based on my pack? How to calculate it?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8.    #8  
    Herrie,

Just back from vacation and noticed your post.

You can either open up the case and do the mod internally or you could do it in your cable but remember that you have a hazardous cable which will fry any source incapable of supplying 2.1 Amps safely.

The resistors are the same but remember to isolate the data lines from the Power Supply (end) USB A Plug.

The only fail-safe way is to do the modification inside the Power Source.