Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    I keep my touchstone near my PC at work, a colleague of mine has an android app on his phone that measures electromagnetic waves or whatever, he downloaded it to measure the waves around the new aerial we installed in the office but funnily enough when he saw my touchstone wanted to measure the waves, well you won't believe it the thing absolutely went off the scale, I mean properly off the scale, I don't remember the numbers exactly but near a monitor it went to 1,500 and near my touchstone more than tenfold that amount! Lol he had to reset the bloody app! I should've made a video and upload it on youtube it was properly scary if you believe on what hurts and what doesn't in terms of waves these days..
    What's your views about this, do you keep it like me 24/7 plugged in and near you?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I keep my touchstone near my PC at work, a colleague of mine has an android app on his phone that measures electromagnetic waves or whatever, he downloaded it to measure the waves around the new aerial we installed in the office but funnily enough when he saw my touchstone wanted to measure the waves, well you won't believe it the thing absolutely went off the scale, I mean properly off the scale, I don't remember the numbers exactly but near a monitor it went to 1,500 and near my touchstone more than tenfold that amount! Lol he had to reset the bloody app! I should've made a video and upload it on youtube it was properly scary if you believe on what hurts and what doesn't in terms of waves these days..
    What's your views about this, do you keep it like me 24/7 plugged in and near you?
    Maybe it's because it has magnets in it
    sledge007, Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    Scary like a tooth brush. :-)
    sledge007, xandros9 and Rnp like this.
    Stay away from speakers.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    xandros9, ananimus and Rnp like this.
    So what did the android guy say the risks were? And yes I have Touchstones everywhere
    One on my desk, one in my car, one on my nightstand next to my bed and one at the office. All plugged 24/7.

Still alive, no cancer.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Rnp, geekpeter and xandros9 like this.
    well, what are you measuring? the 4 earth magnets in the TS that hold the phone?

or, the electrical induction -- which really should only be active when the phone is on the TS and activating the charger function?

if it's the latter, well it is an electrical transmitter, but what's the range on it? if you can actually get a reading while the TS is in charge mode, but is the rate at one inch distance vs. 7-8" away?

i'm not worried about magnetics. gravity is what's holding us on here. but we are bathed in cellular, BT, and wifi EM all day now. literally bathing in EM all day long. it'd be interesting if we could see all EM. it'd be a complete fog we'd be blind in.

tin foil hats, ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    One on my desk, one in my car, one on my nightstand next to my bed and one at the office. All plugged 24/7.

Still alive, no cancer.
    sledge007 and xandros9 like this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    So what did the android guy say the risks were?
    The guy is a pillock, and of course I'm not scared to die lol as I said my touchstone is near my PC and plugged in 24/7, but it was funny to see this thing going beserk, I have no idea what it's measuring, I'll ask him to show me again and give you guys the name of the app maybe.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    What is a pillock?
    A Pillock is a useless waste-of-time-d*ckhead ~ (In Brit-speak anyway!).

Dude you have a point here!
    I recall when the *Touchpad* Touchstone first came out & got pulled apart by some Geek to see what was going on inside it - there was talk of the charge coil frequency being way up in the Gigahertz range.. a similar range to the DNA-damaging Wifi & Microwave telecom frequencies now encircling the planet.
    But the Pre Palm Puck style charger was not mentioned.
    I notice mine is ALWAYS warm with the Pre on board - whether it is charging or not.

Breakout the tinfoil hats is right.. then you can BAKE your own brain, without risk of it become too dry and crunchy round the outside!

PS/Edit:` Remember the story here also of the dude who happened to cover the back case of his TP in decorative aluminium foil and then watched his Touchstone go up in smoke and melt? That pangs of extreme 'microwave' behaviour to my mind!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/07/2014 at 09:06 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    None of my Touchstones hot or even warm when not charging
    You're safe. 1500 in "arbitrary units" makes it sound crazy. "Ours goes to 11!"

And yes, if this app is ACTUALLY measuring magnetic field, it's probably using the internal compass. So more than likely you were picking up the permanent magnets, not the inductive field that charges the phone. The magnets, strong enough to hold your phone, are in the base not the phone. And the compass is sensitive enough to pick up the Earth's weak field. So when you're within inches of the TS, it's a lot by comparison.

If you use sane, scientific units it's not enough to be a danger. Like sledge said, it's not really any more dangerous than a speaker or pile of refrigerator magnets. Heck, you probably sit next to a wifi router which throws a much wider power net.

Anyway, I get asked about stuff like this a lot. (PhD in an applied field revolving around electromagnetic field theory.) For the terribly worried I usually point out the proactive option: increase the distance between you and your power emitting devices.

The power your body sees (which is of a pretty harmless type anyway, it's believed) will drop by the square of how ever much you increase distance. So moving your device from 1 foot away to 3 feet away reduces exposure by a factor of 9. Even if unnecessary, this is such a simple thing, I actually do make a point of placing my routers away from places people will often be sitting.

Anyway, one of the main issues with inductive charging is how incredibly quickly the inductive field dies with distance. Even if this field were a dangerous type, it would take some very sensitive equipment to detect it with the TS an arm's length away.
    Also, a fun story... we use some monstrously powerful magnets in my field. There are strange safety concerns about working around such high fields. In general these revolve around powering down strong electromagnets and not bringing magnetizable equipment near them, especially if they need to be left active. You can end up degaussing a hard drive or have tools flying around. Generally you don't notice what they do to the body, since we're mostly not made up of strongly magnetic bits.

The interesting story was someone who stuck his head inside of a device housing that contained very high fields to look. Someone asked, "See anything on the ground?" So the tech turned his his head 90-degrees to look down and almost instantly passed out.

Funny thing: water is a very weak dipole. So it was assumed that though he was able to turn his skull and look down, all the fluids in his head tried to stay oriented as they were. So for an instant, the circulation in his head got completely turned around, causing him to faint.

Of course he was fine once he came too. But man, what a magnet!
    Wow. That would still be scary. 8]
    None of my Touchstones hot or even warm when not charging
    I meant that my (Palm Puck) Touchstone gets warm when the Pre3 is on it, even when it is not charging (ie when the battery is already @ 100%).

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I meant that my (Palm Puck) Touchstone gets warm when the Pre3 is on it, even when it is not charging (ie when the battery is already @ 100%).
    OK, but if I am not mistaken if phone is on touchstone then its always charging and discharging
    OK, but if I am not mistaken if phone is on touchstone then its always charging and discharging
    You are correct. And 100% isn't always 100%. =) If you watch the battery via Dr Battery, you will see it fluctuating, and the actual % being different from the displayed % if you have the battery % patch, or in the device menu if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You are correct. And 100% isn't always 100%. =) If you watch the battery via Dr Battery, you will see it fluctuating, and the actual % being different from the displayed % if you have the battery % patch, or in the device menu if not.
    OK! Thanks for pointing that out.. I'll take it off the charger until it's in the 50% range.. and then put my tinfoil hat on!

ananimus likes this.
    LOL no you'll cook your brain!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast