webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Can a TouchPad charger charge an iPhone?
Can a TouchPad charger charge an iPhone?

Old 04/09/2013, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everyone,i've read several threads about the iPhone charger,here i just wonder whether the one w/TouchPad could perform a fully 1A current during the charging circle?
Thanks a lot!
I got a message that,It will but only at a trickle (250ma). the touchpad charger doesn't provide the 2.8v on the D- and 2.0v on D+ that Apple devices (USB spec) need for low voltage signaling to charge at max. So it will charge slowly, or not at all depending on the device's power usage.(quoted from SebastianLee and for my great THX)
So if i do want to make it an iPhone charger,is there any modification to be taken effectively ?
1314id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2013, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1314id View Post
Hello everyone,i've read several threads about the iPhone charger,here i just wonder whether the one w/TouchPad could perform a fully 1A current during the charging circle?
Thanks a lot!
I got a message that,It will but only at a trickle (250ma). the touchpad charger doesn't provide the 2.8v on the D- and 2.0v on D+ that Apple devices (USB spec) need for low voltage signaling to charge at max. So it will charge slowly, or not at all depending on the device's power usage.(quoted from SebastianLee and for my great THX)
So if i do want to make it an iPhone charger,is there any modification to be taken effectively ?
If you're just talking about the barrel plug, then I don't see why not. I've charged various phones with my TouchPad chargers.....HTC Incredible S, Samsung GS3, and I've never had an issue. I'm unfamilliar with Apple devices specific charging needs, so maybe just try it out and see what happens.
Old 04/09/2013, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've never had any issues charging my iPhone 4S with my TouchPad charger.
Old 04/09/2013, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1314id View Post
Thanks a lot!
In contrast to the Apple spec which you have quoted in your post, the TouchPad Barrel Charger had the Data Lines bridged and a HIGH IMPEDANCE Potential Divider providing ~ 2.7V on the bridge.

Unless the iPhone sees its specified conditions on the data pins, it will only draw 500mA or less from the charger. This is also true of the TouchPad and the Samsung Tab and Note devices and is a safety provision to prevent the device from drawing excessive current from a USB port normally designed to provide no more than 500mA.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote