Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've heard a rumor that there were a lot more of these made than are known to exist in the wild..
    Same as the TouchPad Go's?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505G mediante Tapatalk
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Not really, because it's a fairly well known rumor that the go parts were sourced but mostly not assembled...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Review? Pictures?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505G mediante Tapatalk
    It came in yesterday afternoon (was delayed a day by snow). I'm loving it so far. It's smaller than I thought for some reason and charges my Pre3 a lot faster than the regular Touchstone seems to. It fits better and the angle is a lot nicer for the larger device and exhibition mode.

The Veer (and I'd assume other webOS phones) work fine on it also.

My only dislike about it is the lack of the sticky gecko material on the bottom which instead is just rubber. Combined with how light the Touchstone2 and how much better the magnet holds the Pre3 means if I try to pick the phone up the Touchstone2 comes with it.

Also, I haven't been able to get the Bluetooth audio to work yet. Even after plugging speakers in and it prompting me to activate Bluetooth on my Pre3 it makes a strange beeping sound through the speakers and says it failed to connect. I'll have to keep messing with it but it's not a huge deal for me.

I'm very happy I finally have one though and feels like the perfect accessory for a Pre3!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cbosdell; 02/06/2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added images in-line
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Bev, myself, and a couple of others here had that Touchstone2 when we were beta testing the Pre3 and Touchpad. I still cannot believe they made us give those chargers back after everything was shut down. Grrrrrrr
    ananimus likes this.
    That's really cool. I hope you figure out the audio issue. I'd be very bummed if I bought one of those and couldn't get the audio working.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That's really cool. I hope you figure out the audio issue. I'd be very bummed if I bought one of those and couldn't get the audio working.
    Thanks. I got it paired and working with my Veer so apparently it's something going on with my Pre3 not the Touchstone2.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    That's actually pretty clever. Why pair the BT if the audio won't go anywhere?
    True. Wish I'd thought of that when I first tried it!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    It came in yesterday afternoon (was delayed a day by snow). I'm loving it so far. It's smaller than I thought for some reason and charges my Pre3 a lot faster than the regular Touchstone seems to. It fits better and the angle is a lot nicer for the larger device and exhibition mode.
    That's exactly what I thought when I got mine: HP Touchstone 2 available
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    cbosdell likes this.
    Thanks. I got it paired and working with my Veer so apparently it's something going on with my Pre3 not the Touchstone2.
    Yes.. I had similar issues with random bleeping and getting the Pre3 to pair correctly.
    I rebooted the Pre3 and also deleted any other paired BT items in it's list and eventually got it hooked up fine.
    Once paired correctly it has since given no problems.
    Maybe a bit of self-adhesive 'Velcro' on your desk & TS2 would allow for one handed removal of the phones?
    Enjoy!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Can you buy that gecko-pad stuff anywhere to stick on things?

Edit: Google and ye shall find - http://www.narescue.com/portal.aspx?CN=7250FBC7FE5F

Looks like Amazon has the same stuff in a single roll: http://www.amazon.com/NAR-Gecko-Grip...bosnation0e-20
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/01/2014 at 12:20 AM.
    Can you buy that gecko-pad stuff anywhere to stick on things?
    I've seen soft rubber self-adhesive pads - but nothing quite as 'sticky'.
    Best bet might be to buy a cheapo Palm Puck unit & then carefully peel & transfer the gecko sticky pad to the TS2/other thing?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I've seen soft rubber self-adhesive pads - but nothing quite as 'sticky'.
    Best bet might be to buy a cheapo Palm Puck unit & then carefully peel & transfer the gecko sticky pad to the TS2/other thing?

Yeah, if you had a dead Touchstone, that would be a good source. I think I'm going to order a roll of that tape I found on Amazon just to see if it is as good. They call it rescue tape - the first site seems to be related to animal rescue. I suppose that tape would not leave sticky residue all over whatever critter you are putting it on.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. I had similar issues with random bleeping and getting the Pre3 to pair correctly.
    I rebooted the Pre3 and also deleted any other paired BT items in it's list and eventually got it hooked up fine.
    Once paired correctly it has since given no problems.
    Maybe a bit of self-adhesive 'Velcro' on your desk & TS2 would allow for one handed removal of the phones?
    Enjoy!
    I rebooted and tried again and eventually got it to connect. It's working fine now.

I'll definitely think about some Velcro or the gecko tape material. Right now I'm pretty happy to just have it and everything working correctly. I'm loving the angle it has my Pre3 sitting at for using it while charging!
    Last edited by cbosdell; 02/01/2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Yeah, if you had a dead Touchstone, that would be a good source. I think I'm going to order a roll of that tape I found on Amazon just to see if it is as good. They call it rescue tape - the first site seems to be related to animal rescue. I suppose that tape would not leave sticky residue all over whatever critter you are putting it on.
    Hmm... I'm wondering if that's really the same thing as what's on the OG Palm puck. There's a wiki page on this type of dry adhesion tape. On the different types, they mention both "Gecko tape" and a "Nanotube" type.
    Synthetic setae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the original Touchstone promos, I seem to recall that Palm bragged about using the nanotech type which does in fact have almost a factor 50 better adhesion and came out of labs as recently as 2005.

But let us know how it goes!
    Hmm... I'm wondering if that's really the same thing as what's on the OG Palm puck. There's a wiki page on this type of dry adhesion tape. On the different types, they mention both "Gecko tape" and a "Nanotube" type.

From the original Touchstone promos, I seem to recall that Palm bragged about using the nanotech type which does in fact have almost a factor 50 better adhesion and came out of labs as recently as 2005.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for the link.
    Looks like the last one has been sold. It's no longer showing up on eBay. Happy it's at least going to someone who will use it instead of sitting around.

Well the verdict is in: this is definitely not the same stuff. Just seems like really thick duct tape. Single-sided, impossible to tear, and so far doesn't seem to leave a residue. I stuck a piece to my workbench and after 3 days there was no residue. Going to give it a longer test and figure out if it is really suited for anything useful.
    Like I say, you could probably do a lot worse than just grabbing a cheapo Palm Puck such as one like this:

Genuine Retail HP Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Pre Pixi Veer Pre2 PRE3 | eBay

and then peeling the REAL 'Gecko' of it's base & re-sticking it to whatever else - TS2's in particular!

Prepare for a careful fight with that stuff though.. I've already done it (in order to instead use double-sided sticky tape to in turn secure the Puck to a swivel-mount suction-cap base suitable for car dashboard/glass etc!) - and it IS *very* bloody sticky!

cbosdell likes this.
    i see some Touchstone 2 on ebay.com; i very like it but too expensive for me personally
    Looks like the last one has been sold. It's no longer showing up on eBay....
    It's not mine, but I did get a decent deal on a EU Pre2 from this seller who has been unloading buckets of webOS hardware for quite some time. They claim it is their last Touchstone 2:
    HP Palm Touchstone 2 with Audio Out Extremely RARE | eBay
    -Neat, but too spendy for me, I just hang my Pre3 on an unaltered touchstone 1 sideways (landscape)...