Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I got a chance to have a little hands on time with one of these, and I couldn't seem to make it do anything useful in a vehicle. All I got out of it was engine noise, and that was in an electric vehicle. Not sure if that was related to the phone, the TS, or what. Also couldn't pair the TS to anything that wasn't a pre3, but I thought that I'd read it was possible to pair the TS to any bluetooth audio device.
    I'm one of the fools who bought one from the guy (HP Touchstone 2 available) almost a year ago. I'm lovin' it! It worked just fine in my car. It's great that both the power and audio connections are through the TS2. No wires to hook up to the phone at all for sound or for charging. Once the TS2 and Pre3 are paired, I can get sound through the car stereo no matter where phone is.

The physical design is not necessarily the most conducive to use in a car, but the concept is perfect. Just plop the phone on the charger, tap to pair, and go. HP was insane not to follow through on this. Let's hope LG has more sense!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Mutoidi, Rnp and steeled like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    I guess I'll just have to stick with my Touchstone 1 and tape deck adapter then...
    ION just announced something at CES that you may find useful then... a cassette deck Bluetooth music receiver...
    Preliminary info at Cassette Adapter Bluetooth - Bluetooth Music Receiver for Cassette Decks - ION Audio - Technology made simple: app accessories, portable audio, and more

I'm sure their 8-track and tape-reel adapters won't be far behind...
    Carldc, hmmm. Sounds like your experience is much nicer than mine was.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Carldc, hmmm. Sounds like your experience is much nicer than mine was.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    I wonder if that has to do with the prototype status. There may be subtle differences between individual units. I've only seen and used my own, so I have no way to compare. Others talked about a hissing sound in the audio, and I thought I heard that, too. However, the more I listen, the more I think the sound is fine. Admittedly, I haven't used any top-of-the-line speakers -- mostly only old walkman ones (and the car stereo, of course), but mine actually sounds quite good.
    I do think the design can use some improvement -- mostly the placement of the USB port and audio jack coming straight out of the back. This limits where it can be placed. At the very least, I think those should've been recessed.
    -carldc

PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArigatoMrTalboto View Post
    ION just announced something at CES that you may find useful then... a cassette deck Bluetooth music receiver...
    Preliminary info at Cassette Adapter Bluetooth - Bluetooth Music Receiver for Cassette Decks - ION Audio - Technology made simple: app accessories, portable audio, and more

I'm sure their 8-track and tape-reel adapters won't be far behind...
    Hmm, I might have to look into that...
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    who's got a 3D printer? make us some!

seriously though -

has anyone tested an earlier Pre, does it pair/charge/function as typical? or is it only Pre3? Veer??
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    Hmm, I might have to look into that...
    if you do, bear in mind the mini (not micro) USB connection to charge. check out their photos.

most decks wont allow a cable to be plugged in during use. and you can't just plug it in to charge when the car and accessory power is off, so you may have to bring it inside to confirm your 6 hr max charge is good to go?

could be more hassle than help, depending on your situation. for me, it doesn't look as helpful as i first thought.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    who's got a 3D printer? make us some!

seriously though -

has anyone tested an earlier Pre, does it pair/charge/function as typical? or is it only Pre3? Veer??
    The only other functional device I have is an old Sprint Pixi running 1.45... and... wow! Yes, charging works (not surprised), and Bluetooth audio works, too (somewhat surprised). It does not automatically pair, though. But once I turn BT on on the Pixi, it pairs and works. Cool. All this time I never thought to try the Pixi.

If it works with a Pixi, I assume the same would be true with the Pre and the Veer.
    -carldc

Grabber5.0 and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    The only other functional device I have is an old Sprint Pixi running 1.45... and... wow! Yes, charging works (not surprised), and Bluetooth audio works, too (somewhat surprised). It does not automatically pair, though. But once I turn BT on on the Pixi, it pairs and works. Cool. All this time I never thought to try the Pixi.

If it works with a Pixi, I assume the same would be true with the Pre and the Veer.
    I think it pairs automatically on the Pre 3 due to the A6 chips, I think it would do the same on the Veer (with 2.2.3/2.2.4 only, probably not with 2.1.1/2.1.2)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think it pairs automatically on the Pre 3 due to the A6 chips, I think it would do the same on the Veer (with 2.2.3/2.2.4 only, probably not with 2.1.1/2.1.2)
    Yes, can verify TS2 BT pairing with Pre3 & Veer on 2.2.4 as 'Touchstone2 Audio Dock'.
    I also have an earlier (distinctly prototypical) revision of the TS2, which pairs as 'Blue Tunes ROM'.

Actually, pairing proved to be a bit 'fussy', taking several shots at 'rebooting' the TS2 to succeed, but once paired the 'automatic' functions never seem to miss a beat.

Audio quality on 'TS2 Audio Dock' is as good as your Amp/EQ setup really,
    but Audio on my particular 'Blue Tunes ROM' version is distinctly 'subdued' -
    complete with random BT 'Beeps' thrown in for good measure occasionally!
    Charging rate & BT range on both is excellent however.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes, can verify TS2 BT pairing with Pre3 & Veer on 2.2.4 as 'Touchstone2 Audio Dock'.
    I also have an earlier (distinctly prototypical) revision of the TS2, which pairs as 'Blue Tunes ROM'.

Actually, pairing proved to be a bit 'fussy', taking several shots at 'rebooting' the TS2 to succeed, but once paired the 'automatic' functions never seem to miss a beat.

Audio quality on 'TS2 Audio Dock' is as good as your Amp/EQ setup really,
    but Audio on my particular 'Blue Tunes ROM' version is distinctly 'subdued' -
    complete with random BT 'Beeps' thrown in for good measure occasionally!
    Charging rate & BT range on both is excellent however.

Hehe. Sounds like it is this: BlueTunes® ROM | Wireless Multimedia Functionality

Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    "..Hehe. Sounds like it is this: BlueTunes® ROM | Wireless Multimedia Functionality .."

Ha! Yes.. this is very probably the 'foundation' of the BT aspect of the TS2.. and then the webOS Touchstone Charging aspect was further refined by software engineers @ HP.

Thank you!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Is it just me or some ideas behind the TS2 sound a bit like nfc?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Is it just me or some ideas behind the TS2 sound a bit like nfc?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
    Obviously the TS2 is a carry-over and radical update of the Palm 'Puck' Touchstone Charger to include Stereo BT Audio.

To my mind however, the TTS (Touch to Share) technology between Touchpads and Phones, is the one that was perhaps closest to 'NFC'.. and yet also the most sadly discarded, underdeveloped but potentially most groundbreaking for it's time?

Oh HP.. you dropped SO much by the wayside!

TJs11thPre and steeled like this.
    Well I caved and bought one as a tax refund gift to myself when he re-listed it for $175. It should be here tomorrow.

The same seller has put another one up here:

HP Palm Touchstone 2 with Audio Out Phone not Included Extremely RARE | eBay

I'm starting to wonder how many he could possibly have left.

ETA: Just noticed the new one he posted states it is the last one.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 01/28/2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Well I caved and bought one as a tax refund gift to myself when he re-listed it for $175. It should be here tomorrow.

Review? Pictures?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505G mediante Tapatalk
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    cbosdell likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Enjoy! I paid a lot more than that for one from the same guy almost a year ago. No regrets at all. Note: in order to get the Bluetooth pairing, you have to have an audio jack plugged into the TS2. Took me a while to figure that one out.
    ananimus and cbosdell like this.
    He is selling a hp touchpad go also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    Enjoy! I paid a lot more than that for one from the same guy almost a year ago. No regrets at all. Note: in order to get the Bluetooth pairing, you have to have an audio jack plugged into the TS2. Took me a while to figure that one out.
    That's actually pretty clever. Why pair the BT if the audio won't go anywhere?

HP Palm Touchstone 2 with Audio Out Phone not Included Extremely RARE | eBay

I'm starting to wonder how many he could possibly have left.

ETA: Just noticed the new one he posted states it is the last one.
    I've heard a rumor that there were a lot more of these made than are known to exist in the wild..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: