Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    OK, luckly (for you) I was proven wrong.

If you want to try it, begin with the upper clips and pull out the plastic thing with care. As you see there are some more of these clips at the bottom.

At the bottom of the TS2 itself are no screws at all, but if you remove the top plastic of the TS2 (where you put the Pre on), you should find 4 screws to remove the coil. Through this whole you can remove the three screws that fix the board in the TS2. I will not try this, because I'm not sure how to remove this plastic on the top, I think it is clipped in too.

As you can see, there are 2x 2-wires connecting to the TS-coil and there is this transparent plastic thing that looks like a variable resistor. But it is not a resistor, it only has two contacts on the right side and some metal on the top, may be it's an antenna.

Have fun,
    Wow!

Luckily for us all - you are a hero! Thank you!

I don't (yet!) own one - or I would have pulled it apart already, I assure you!
    But you have now cleared the way for anyone to have a go at this - great!

So sorry to hear about one of your 'clips' - (where have we heard this before!) - but in my view, very definitely 'worth' it - yes.

I will look more closely at your pix now.. looks like it's fairly 'busy' in there.
    The base-plate casting is presumably just 'ballast' and the 2x2 coil wires for charging and TTS coils?

Big thanks!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/22/2013 at 03:59 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Rnp likes this.
    I have searched to track the chips in the TS2 - but some are 'whited-out' or illegible in thg's otherwise great pics.
    Clearly the CSR (57?68) module is the BT handler?
    I also found two of the TS2 Lead Firmware Engineer Team originally with HP/Palm/webOS, at 'LinkedIn'.
    These would be the guys to 'talk to' for sure!

1). Jijian Zhang.

December 2006 – November 2011 (5 years)Greater Seattle Area

* 2010 Firmware Engineer/Lead at HP/Palm Touchstone group. I was responsible for firmware for Touchstone Audio Dock, which included firmware for 8051, A6 (Palm's inductive charging chip) and CSR Bluetooth BC5. I was the key engineer to define and deliver Touch-To-Share technology which ultimately utilize A6 firmware, webOS(linux) kernel driver and services to deliver seamless communications between various webOS devices, such as TouchPad, Veer and Pre 3.

Jijian Zhang | LinkedIn

2). Jun Li.

December 2006 – November 2011 (5 years)

• Jul. 2010 - Lead engineer working on HP Touchstone for HP TouchPad.
    o Coordinated with various parties to make the Touchstone work on TouchPad. Including HW engineer, webOS kernel engineer, webOS power management engineer, webOS TapToShare team and webOS UI team.
    o Took part in finalizing Touchstone V2 protocol.
    o Ported the FW of the A6 chip (controller for Touchstone) to both TouchPad and the docking station
    o Implemented new features in the FW required specifically by TouchPad.
    • Mar. 2010 – Jul. 2010 Worked on several Android based
    projects.
    o HP Android Netbook, worked on power management.
    o Worked on evaluating and prototype work on Android based tablet.

{• Oct. 2009 – Mar. 2010 Lead BSP engineer of HP’s Windows Phone 7 project. The job included communicating with HW team about the requirement from SW side, and be part in the decision of HW design finalization. Ported Windows Phone 7 BSP to the HW platform, including board bring up and various kernel/device driver work. This project was then handed over to HP engineer in Shanghai.}

Jun Li | LinkedIn

~~

Looks like they were both 'moved on' as part of the 'Apothekelypse' there!
    So if anyone here is keen and knows how to 'talk software' (John??) - which I don't - and are already linked in to 'LinkedIn',
    these guys may have some seriously interesting 'advice/memories' to pass on regarding this device (NDA's not witholding of course!) - and the history of it's development.
    What for instance is 'Touchstone Programmer'?
    If there were any further desired 'tweaks' to Touchstone Firmwares in general, Li and/or Jijian may be able to assist?

~~~
    ~~~

Meanwhile, in desperation, I also visited my local 'K-Mart' store - and $15 later, came away with a tidy little Chinese BT Audio Reciever Module and cables that now lives glued to the back of the 'Touchstone 1.5' mutation! - (Possibly thereby upgrading it to a 'TS 1.75 Audio Dock' now!).
    Pics attached.

It paired easily with the Pre3 as an 'AudioSonic' BT Headset and transmits smoothly and over a distance of at least 30ft - line of sight.
    The module/board is considerably smaller than the TS2 version.. so *could* be a good candidate for using in conjunction with the original Palm puck unit instead?

It has its own internal rechargeable battery, but it would also take up less space and be a simple 'hack' to power the BT via it's own included switch and directly from the same USB supply as the Puck.
    So whenever the charger is plugged in and powered, so is the BT Audio Reciever,
    which when left 'on' pairs instantly with the Pre3, whenever it too wakes up.

So without the TTS coil present in the original Palm TS puck, all it may now need, as someone suggested previously - is to 'patch' the webOS Music App to be Exhibition Mode friendly?
    - Is it possible that any genius Homebrewer still out there, is able/willing to give that a shot?
    (Or is there an easier way to get such as 'Mode Switcher' App to do this instead?)

Then a sleeping Pre3 could be thrown onto such a (BT-connected) Palm charging puck, would awake, connect to a BT Audio Module AND fire up "Music' App - probably as close to TS2 behaviour as we can easily and cheaply get atm?

I also blew a massive $10 on a pair of 'Office One' USB powered speakers.. which play well through the BT Audio Reciever too.
    So total expenditure thus far - $31:38 + a few hours fun play-time!

Enjoy!

PS: I have also fitted x 8 rare-earth magnets inside the Pre3 Back Cover and it now has a very positive location on the Palm TS.
    Please see here: make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better @ #102 + pic below.

Also ref. updated full build story here @ #4: Shout out to Derek Kessler!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/22/2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added Pix.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Then a sleeping Pre3 could be thrown onto such a (BT-connected) Palm charging puck, would awake, connect to a BT Audio Module AND fire up "Music' App - probably as close to TS2 behaviour as we can easily and cheaply get atm?

I also blew a massive $10 on a pair of 'Office One' USB powered speakers.. which play well through the BT Audio Reciever too.
    So total expenditure thus far - $31:38 + a few hours fun play-time!

Enjoy!
    Nice! That looks great!

I have also used this: Bluetooth® Music Receiver | BT Music Receiver | Audio | Entertainment | Products | Belkin USA Site
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    That's what I use with my home stereo... also have two others for mobile usage plus my stereo headphones
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Thanks! It is all working well so far.

Yes, they are very similar BT V2.1 + EDR units by the looks of it - except mine came without a mains power supply.
    I will have to get another one for the car now!

When pairing it with a TP under 'Audio', I sometimes get the error: "Unable to connect to Headset (Hands-free) Profile" and yet it then still 'connects' OK - any idea what that's all about with this unit?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/22/2013 at 09:05 PM.

Rnp likes this.
    Good work, Mutoidi.

At least -some- of the exhibition mode stuff is in the WebOS 3.0 music player. I have no idea on the 2.2 music player, I've never even looked at it's source.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Good work, Mutoidi.

At least -some- of the exhibition mode stuff is in the WebOS 3.0 music player. I have no idea on the 2.2 music player, I've never even looked at it's source.

Cheers eblade,

Right.
    Now's your excuse then!
    Try running 3.0.5 'Music' in 2.2.4 anyway?

(But it certainly doesn't show up directly in the 3.0.5 Exhibition)

What's required - an App-to-App 'link'?

~*~

HP Documentation shows how you can enable an app for Exhibition and has bits of example code:

Mojo:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a...xhibition.html

Enyo:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...xhibition.html
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a...tion-mode.html

It could be as easy as patching the app so it can run in Exhibition....

I recall some patches to enable some apps for Exhibition (for example Clock as per [patches] Clock app in Exhibition Mode)
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    HP Documentation shows how you can enable an app for Exhibition and has bits of example code:

Mojo:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a...xhibition.html

Enyo:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...xhibition.html
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a...tion-mode.html

It could be as easy as patching the app so it can run in Exhibition....

I recall some patches to enable some apps for Exhibition (for example Clock as per [patches] Clock app in Exhibition Mode)
    Spot on Herrie. That's is what I had hoped.
    Patch an App (Exhibition) to run an available App (Music).
    So 'Music' has to be seen by Exhibition as available and supported.

It's all there for someone who actually trusts their ability to code - unlike me! Or maybe I spoke too soon!

So :< "dockmode" : true> makes the (any?) App *available* to be 'in' 'Exhibition'?
    Would that then also automatically bring it up a useable Option in the UI under Exhibition Mode-Supported Applications too?
    Also some 'AppAssistant.prototype.handleLaunch' parameters set?

It is not even that the Music App has to be altered or changed to 'suit' Exhibition - it just has to have an Option to trigger it to 'run', as normal and with all its features. Would Exhibition natively 'allow' that?

In 2.2.4 Photos app is there - but with 'limited' functionality. One optionless page of 'Govnah' is there.
    Music would just need a *default to launch* instruction from Exhibition - with the Auto-launch-Exhibition Patch running, I imagine?

So: On placement on Dock, Exhibition auto-launches, which in turn can be optionally set to continue to default Auto-launch full Music App - even after a full machine reset.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/23/2013 at 08:19 AM.

The music app in 3.0.5 had special code for running in Exhibition, it wasn't just starting the regular app as an exhibition window. Not sure if any of it was left in tehre, or if it was commented out. Not sure even if it was put in, if it would do anything inparticularly useful.

But yes, you can enable any app to run as exhibition, just by setting it's dockMode true, and then turning it on in the exhibition settings.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    The music app in 3.0.5 had special code for running in Exhibition, it wasn't just starting the regular app as an exhibition window. Not sure if any of it was left in tehre, or if it was commented out. Not sure even if it was put in, if it would do anything inparticularly useful.

But yes, you can enable any app to run as exhibition, just by setting it's dockMode true, and then turning it on in the exhibition settings.

No special Exhibition mode in 2.2.4 Music Player App required.. just need it to 'run'.. yes.

But "Nope"..
    Downloaded PC JSON Viewer/editor.
    "dockMode": "true" edited into Music Player Appinfo. JSON
    Replace file. Restart.
    Nothing extra apparent in Exhibition App options/preferences.
    2nd restart.. still nada!

Screenshots attached:
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/24/2013 at 04:55 AM.

Maybe somewhere you also have to define a scene to show when docked? *total WAG*
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Maybe somewhere you also have to define a scene to show when docked? *total WAG*
    How do I define a 'scene' ~
    "..A scene is a formatted screen for presenting information or a task to the user. Each scene has a view and an assistant. The view determines the layout and appearance of the scene. The assistant determines the behavior. Some scenes also have models, which supply data.."

Maybe the 'assistant' to Exhibition Preferences requires something else now..

If required at all, that's probably a 'step 2'?

But at present 'Music' is not even presenting itself in 2.2.4 (nor in 3.0.5 on TP apparently either), as an optional 'Exhibitionable' App ~ as suggested above would be the case as a result of simply tweaking it's Appinfo JSON to include 'dockMode: true' ~ Dock or no Dock!

Also tried removing 'Autostart Exhibition' patch ~ but to no avail.

@ 'eblade' - have you actually tried this with 'Music' in 2.2.4 - am I perhaps missing a step here?

?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/24/2013 at 06:24 AM.

you would need to (at least) restart LunaSysMgr for it to pick up the change to the appinfo. Might even have to re-install the app to get it to pick up, i'm not sure if that's read from the appinfo when it's installed, or when sysmgr loads it's info.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    you would need to (at least) restart LunaSysMgr for it to pick up the change to the appinfo. Might even have to re-install the app to get it to pick up, i'm not sure if that's read from the appinfo when it's installed, or when sysmgr loads it's info.

Thanks..
    Oh, I did a couple of full Device Shut Down & Restarts immediately!
    I can try transferring the 'dockMode: true' AppInfo JSON to a fresh 'com.palm.app.musicplayer' and then also replace the entire original with that and restart.. if this is what you mean?

Again, have you actually tried this successfully yourself.. or are we all just quoting from the same 'manual' here!
    Still a glitch somewhere..

Meanwhile can you ascertain for sure if/when the tweak is read then, please?
    As I say, I have tried exactly the same in 3.0.5 on TP..and also nothing occurs!

~*~
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/24/2013 at 11:16 PM.

well i've never tried converting an existing app into an exhibition app. but i did have an exhibition mode for XO, which I never really finished, because I realized once I got into it, that I had really screwed up the design for that.

To make your app available to be launched in dockmode you simply add the following to your app's appinfo.json file:

"dockMode": true

That’s it! Your app is now available for selection in the dockmode app. If your app is set as the default, it will now run as if it were launched when the device goes into dockmode
    so... *shrug*
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    well i've never tried converting an existing app into an exhibition app. but i did have an exhibition mode for XO, which I never really finished, because I realized once I got into it, that I had really screwed up the design for that.

so... *shrug*

"..To make your app available to be launched in dockmode you simply add the following to your app's appinfo.json file: "dockMode": true
    That’s it! Your app is now available for selection in the dockmode app. If your app is set as the default, it will now run as if it were launched when the device goes into dockmode.."

Yep.. that's the quote I'm referring to!

So *why* doesn't it? Is there something in the standard Music App that is over-riding this?

There is no 'desgn' necessary here - just a command to offer the 2.2.4 Music Player App as an Exhibition Preference and then Auto-open/run it exactly 'as is'!

Hey, TS2 owners - what occurs for you re. 'Music App' on your devices?
    I reckon it would be excellent - and apparently simple - to allow Exhibition an option to auto-open it upon placement..
    If anyone else susses it out, or fully understands this route - then please notify here!

Thanks!

""Shrug"" too now!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/25/2013 at 12:29 PM.

Rnp likes this.
    I'm really not sure. After you luna restart, did you remember to go into the Settings->Exhibition and see if it's in that list and enable it?
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I'm really not sure. After you luna restart, did you remember to go into the Settings->Exhibition and see if it's in that list and enable it?
    Yes.. that is becoming clear!
    Nor am I !

If you mean that which I already posted to you @ #90 above, as a screenshot - then "Yes!"
    ..And as I also said there:: "Nada" - Zero - Ziltch - nothing yet apparent!
    ie. No Music App on the Exhibition Preferences/Options List in Settings as a result of "dockmode": "true" in it's JSON file followed by a full reset!

Actually try it for yourself too now? You may just get it 'right'!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/25/2013 at 04:00 PM.

I have not looked at the source but Amigo does this, maybe someone can look at that code and then patch the music app to do it?

Or you could use Amigo to spin up?

I do not know the App owner, but you could ask them?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast