webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Would you buy ... ?
Would you buy ... ?
View Poll Results: Possible products...
Veer magnetic headphone adapter 9 21.95%
Veer magnetic photo flash 8 19.51%
Veer magnetic microSD reader or USB-in (to attach flash drives) or "cord-less" microUSB adapter 10 24.39%
Pre3 screen bezel 21 51.22%
Pre3 back cover (dkirker's Mugen extended + TTS coil) or regular 21 51.22%
Pre3-specific touchstone or audio dock (experimental, not too likely) 22 53.66%
Veer case parts (bezel, back or possibly buttons) 5 12.20%
Any of the above in colors besides black (extra charge), ie carbon fibre, white, exotic wood 12 29.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By Rnp

Old 01/20/2013, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

..any of the listed "homebrew" re-manufactured replacement parts or newly-designed accessories, if there were to be produced by members of this community?

This thread is for market research purposes, and not about making money, but efficiently fulfilling a real need...

Everything is still in the R&D phase, but as you can probably understand, whether this works out in the end or not, largely depends on how many people would be willing to buy the products

There's no concrete guarantee yet that any of them will be built, but anything that gets enough votes will be considered. This is a community project, just like webOS Ports, and is in its earliest stages. I won't be taking time away from my software projects, i'm not ADD. I just want to get the ball rolling and more people involved in this, so that the venture takes on a life of its own and becomes "commercially" viable.

This was originally Toadfrogjr's idea, to create a DYI replacement for the rare, scarce and expensive Veer headphone adapter. I joined in on the R&D effort and offered up some ideas as well as any relevant knowledge and personal experience. It quickly grew into an interesting discussion, with theories and facts being floated, a lot of brainstorming. So i thought i'd bring it here as a more open and less technical discussion

P.S. Any of the electronic components used in the making of these accessories already exist in some capacity... this isn't some expensive research project, but mostly testing and fabrication.

Any comments are welcome
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/20/2013, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please remember that this is serious and i'm no longer brainstorming. Toadfrog and i are being realistic and won't risk a single dime on something that won't sell or will sell less than ~10 units (even as a top quality product)

Here are the original threads on this topic

Create Magnetic Adapter

and

Possibility of new replacement screen bezels for the Pre3... Anyone interested?

Both of them mention the silicone mold and epoxy process we have in mind, as well as some pictures of molded resin objects in the 2nd thread. If you guys have any questions about anything, feel free to ask

Last edited by Remy X; 01/20/2013 at 07:40 PM.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/21/2013, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rnp

Lots of...???

"Pre3-specific touchstone or audio dock (experimental, not too likely)"

Best Regards...
Liked by wideeyed85 and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/21/2013, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Concerning custom color cases for Veer; I think there is a pretty good untapped market. Veer is out there with quite a few users who might check eBay or Amazon. How many of them would teardown a unit to replace the case is an open ???

The add on, mag attach dongles should sell really well. Especially the ones that add new function like flash(light) , USB (standard/micro) ports or memory card use.

Maybe instead of body parts (cases) make molds that fit over, with tabs. Clip on cases that attach over the back and bezel. 3 sizes... Pre -/+/2, Pre 3 and Veer. Arrange side tabs so there is no slider conflict, minimize material enough for touchstone use and you're in.

As for the audio dock, is there a reason it has to be Pre 3 sized? Could there not be another size that works for Pre -/+/2 and Veer???

BTW - I would try a teardown to change my Veer case to a nice Forest Green, a Charcoal Grey or maybe a Finished Wood in a medium stain.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

for most it probably depends what the final product ends up like.
Old 01/21/2013, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

10 voters and 36 votes... So most who like this idea would want more than one item.

Calculate the wish factor into the equation and it looks like a couple actual sales might occur just from this short sampling time.

You know the replacement headphone adapters for Veer are a high demand unit. If you could get them on eBay it might be the best first start project.
Old 01/21/2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

@RumoredNow, The Pre3 needs a more curved touchstone due to the shape of its back, but all the other phones will work fine with either touchstone shape
Old 01/22/2013, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
@RumoredNow, The Pre3 needs a more curved touchstone due to the shape of its back, but all the other phones will work fine with either touchstone shape
I knew the Pre 3 had a different curve... Did not know the rest of the phones still fit that shape with good magnetic adhesion. Awesome.

BTW - 21 voters and 67 votes. 3.19 votes per participant...
Old 03/21/2013, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I really NEED a magnetic micro USB adapter. Can't stand to take that looooooooooooooooong cable with me. And I need a Pre3 screen bezel and back cover, because both are seriously broken on mine.

So, yes, would be definitively paying. Hope you can ship to Germany.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0