webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > 3D printing cases, HP pls release those files!
3D printing cases, HP pls release those files!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By renater
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 01/18/2013, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wouldn't it be great if HP could release those 3d files to print cases for our beloved Pres, Veers and Touchpads
Nokia can do it for the Lumia, so HP or Gram where are you?

Everything you need to know about the Lumia 820 and 3D printing Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

Even better would be to release the 3d files for the bodies of all the webOS products. Then we can replace those cracked TP bodies and for the brave among us change the our phone bodies slightly for those special customised look.

Who lets HP know that it would be a good idea to keep the webOS fire burning this way.
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/19/2013, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

That would be cool... Then you could actually have what Garrett92c hypothesized here: (Mockup) HP Veer... in more colors!
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by renater likes this.
Old 01/19/2013, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The main problem isn't the files. You could fairly easily make CAD copies of the parts that are good enough to fit. The problem is that hobby 3D printers just don't have the resolution to produce such detailed parts. Those printers that can achieve the required resolution do so in materials that are not sufficiently robust.

I'm sure the technology will get there one day, but IMO it's not good enough yet.

If you just want copies of original Pre/Veer parts in a different colour you would be best of making a mould directly from a off the shelf part and casting a new one with the correct pigment.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
The main problem isn't the files. You could fairly easily make CAD copies of the parts that are good enough to fit. The problem is that hobby 3D printers just don't have the resolution to produce such detailed parts. Those printers that can achieve the required resolution do so in materials that are not sufficiently robust.

I'm sure the technology will get there one day, but IMO it's not good enough yet.

If you just want copies of original Pre/Veer parts in a different colour you would be best of making a mould directly from a off the shelf part and casting a new one with the correct pigment.
With the latest 3d printers Shapeways and some solid design rules and tools New tool gives structural strength to 3D-printed works | News | R&D Magazine I think you can get very close. I agree with you that you would be working on the bleeding edge or maybe beyond and that it is still relatively expensive to combine strength and detail. Not yet for your home 3d printer yet.

But I think a protection case as Nokia releases in the above article is well within reach.

Last edited by renater; 01/19/2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
renater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d printing cases

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0