webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Earbud with on-wire volume control?
Earbud with on-wire volume control?

Old 12/20/2012, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone know of any 3rd party earbuds that have an on-wire remote that:
  1. can Pause/Resume (like Palm's earbuds do)
  2. can go to Next track (like Palm's earbuds do)
  3. and has volume control?
chillrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I believe any with a button will work, it seems to have been standardized among phones
and about the volume control, i dont have experience with that, but i do know pretty much any button-equipped headphones should work just fine. Maybe you could borrow a friend's for a few moments to try it out.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post
Does anyone know of any 3rd party earbuds that have an on-wire remote that:
  1. can Pause/Resume (like Palm's earbuds do)
  2. can go to Next track (like Palm's earbuds do)
  3. and has volume control?
Any bluetooth stereo earbud set has those things. Bonus. Wireless, and accepts calls with the button too.
Old 12/26/2012, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe that the volume control earbuds are an Apple thing (could be wrong - none I have tried work properly).
Old 12/26/2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I believe that the volume control earbuds are an Apple thing (could be wrong - none I have tried work properly).
Theoretically they should all work. From my limited understanding it's just some kind of a pot(meter) that regulates volume.

It has worked on my old fashioned walkman and discman back in the days. I haven't used it since because I found that they would break more often with me and they're more expensive. So theoretically I would say it should work. Put your phone on max volume and regulate it with the on-cord slider where required?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/26/2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I remember seeing mentions of earbud media buttons in the Music app. I think the media/keys service handles those. (I wish I've got one of those with the buttons. Would be so convenient.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have a BlueTooth SE MW-600 and it can do pause/play, next, previous and volume control. It displays the song title on stock music app too, not on Remix due to unavailable API :-(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/27/2012, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

It depends on the type of volume control. Radio Shack sells an inline unit that will adjust the power to change the volume. Then there is the iPhone style that uses the mic/answer line to tell the phone to change the volume. The former *will* work, the latter may not... (I haven't had success.)

So far the inline adapters I have seen are just TRS, and not TRRS (TRRS has the mic/answer button). If you can find an inline TRRS adapter, you'd be set.
Old 12/29/2012, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Seems most sony ear buds and some ear buds sold RadioShack have volume rockers and such, most from big chains like best buy are ****ty and suck, I'd go on amazon and check prices and do a specific search on what your looking for.
Eantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can't seem to find a wired adapter or headphones that has both volume control and the remote button. Have you considered Bluetooth?

Ones like Sony Ericsson MW600 and Samsung HS3000 should work, then you can plug any 3.5mm headphones to it, then control volume and playback.

Don't get the Samsung HM3700 though, it has this weird voice control thing, so playback control does NOT work on this one, it needs some Android app for it to work.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0