webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Am I the only one that didn't know the BT KB has an LED?
Am I the only one that didn't know the BT KB has an LED?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 12/06/2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

So I have had this keyboard for almost a year and a half now and just realized today there is an LED on it (guessing to indicate BT mode and maybe that batteries aren't dead). So far I have only seen it flash when I believe it was attempting to pair to the TP.

Still learning new things about webOS.

Oh and I have to say once again the keyboard with Touchstone combination is awesome no need to touch the screen at all, freakin love it.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm... that makes sense... but me, i've had my keyboard since the firesale and never even bothered opening the box

Though i've used the Touchstone a number of times, but not every time like i do with the phone... still prefer the cord when i'm in a hurry since the Touchpad stays nice and cold that way...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes you are.

ok not likely.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/06/2012, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
So I have had this keyboard for almost a year and a half now and just realized today there is an LED on it (guessing to indicate BT mode and maybe that batteries aren't dead). So far I have only seen it flash when I believe it was attempting to pair to the TP.

Oh and I have to say once again the keyboard with Touchstone combination is awesome no need to touch the screen at all, freakin love it.
its only a shame some apps dont take full advantage of the keyboard beyond simple text/number entrys, a big offender for this being quick/smartoffice type apps.
Old 12/06/2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
its only a shame some apps dont take full advantage of the keyboard beyond simple text/number entrys, a big offender for this being quick/smartoffice type apps.
Thanks for the heads up, i'll remember that next time i work on something for the Touchpad
Old 12/06/2012, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't experimented with it, but I thought all input was controlled by LunaSysMgr

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I haven't experimented with it, but I thought all input was controlled by LunaSysMgr

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
I think he is saying that apps fail to utilize some fairly common keyboard shortcuts and behaviors... they simply do not subscribe to those keyboard events.
Old 12/07/2012, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
I think he is saying that apps fail to utilize some fairly common keyboard shortcuts and behaviors... they simply do not subscribe to those keyboard events.
haven't tried smartoffice of late as I use ubuntuchroot and libreoffice, but back when I irst got smartoffice you couldn't even navigate cells with the arrow keys, also typing directly in a cell was impossible, you had to go back to mashing the touchscreen to enter edit mode.

on a pc or similar those are beyond basics, yet our shiney new bt keyboards and those apps in question and more kept insisting on us using the touchscreen for what seemed ike a small and minor reason.

maybe an oversight, but it quickly became frustrating, ubuntuchroot is still the only app I use regularly with the bt keyboard.
Old 12/07/2012, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

also some apps that are ports from sourceforge/other platforms can work slightly wrong as they expect a "normal" pc setup keyboard layout, but whatever type the bt keyboard uses doesn't match, again the arrow keys and other special keys rank as the main offenders.

if I remember ubuntuchroot also had bad keymapping on the touchpad which the internals lads thankfully fixed.
Old 12/07/2012, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

No. You are not the only one to not have seen the LED. I just looked yet again and could not find it... Where exactly does it show? In the short time I've had the TP and keyboard, I sort of gave up looking for a Power Indicator Light...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hmm... that makes sense... but me, i've had my keyboard since the firesale and never even bothered opening the box

Though i've used the Touchstone a number of times, but not every time like i do with the phone... still prefer the cord when i'm in a hurry since the Touchpad stays nice and cold that way...
always use the touchstone for all three TP's

The keyboard hasn't gotten as much use as it should, I am now leaving one at work and still have the unopened one at home (I have been meaning to setup my USB BT on the HTPC to use with the KB)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 12/07/2012, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
No. You are not the only one to not have seen the LED. I just looked yet again and could not find it... Where exactly does it show? In the short time I've had the TP and keyboard, I sort of gave up looking for a Power Indicator Light...
It is actually under the power switch when it is switched on, I haven't fully experimented with what it does and why, just noticed it flashing yesterday.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/07/2012, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
It is actually under the power switch when it is switched on, I haven't fully experimented with what it does and why, just noticed it flashing yesterday.
LOL... OK silly me. I was looking for it someplace visible when the keyboard is in the standard position for use.

I always power the keyboard on/off by feel.

Looks like it blinks when it sends out a pairing request. After pairing with my TP I could toggle off and then on and it would connect quickly with no LED blink...

I learned something new today. Thanks.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/07/2012, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah that's why I just assumed it didn't have any indicator this whole time
Old 12/07/2012, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wasn't able to track down a TouchPad keyboard ever since the fire sales, so I got myself an Apple Wireless Keyboard a few months ago. Haven't really used it much, since I don't take my TouchPad out(side) a lot. But there's a little power light right beside the (large) power button, where you'd expect it.

As a side note, does anyone use BT keyboards with their phones (not a webOS specific question, as I don't remember if webOS 2.x support BT keyboards)? I seem to do a bit of typing on my phone, but don't find it convenient to pull the keyboard out for every little thing. (If you're confused, I'm talking about an Android phone.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have paired my KB with my phone, used it to test and that's about it...

Then again, at work I have a full sized computer then touchstones for phone and tablet (tablet comes with me pretty much every day at this point).

If I was more of a writer (like front page articles and what not) I could see using it more often as a way to keep my work in progress with me. Most of my phone typing is SMS, calendar or e-mail, so I am not a great use test as if any of those get too long other than SMS I am on the PC with full size keyboard.
Old 12/10/2012, 01:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
pretty sure it only blinks/appears for a handful of seconds while trying a pairing attempt, I've had to turn off and back on if the other pairing device missed the keyboard trying to communicate as the keyboard seems to give up trying quite quick. I assume this is some powersaving feature.
Old 12/10/2012, 11:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

I have seen the same

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0