webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Good capacitive touch stylus for pre/pixi?
Good capacitive touch stylus for pre/pixi?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 10/20/2012, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know I am supposed to hate on styluses. They are supposed to be outdated. Ok, whatever. I disagree. So I tried using my "normal" (resistive) stylus on the palm pixi. Fail. So I now realize the pixi uses a capacitive touch stylus. Ok, we're in the new millenium. So I purchased a capacitive touch stylus from ebay. But here is the problem. It doesn't register a touch unless you press really hard. I can't use it since I have to press so hard. It isn't that hard, but it is too hard for it to be useful. Now the screen is covered with a screen protector. Should I try without the screen protecting cover I got for $1? The end of the stylus has a rubber area and an air cushion to a metal area. The stylus I got is this one:

Description in case image url died when u read this:
Features:
Brand new and high quality.
High-quality aluminium construction.
Works as a normal pen.
Compatible with all capacitive touchscreens.
Works with all iPad &iPhone apps.
Perfect partner for drawing and painting apps.
iPad/iPhone stylus pen + led electric torch.
Built-in clip for easy carrying.
Size: 12cm x 1cm x 1cm - 4.72inch x 0.39inch x 0.39inch.

Package Included:
1 x 3in1 Stylus Touch Pen with LED Light
Did I just get the wrong type of capacitive touch stylus? If I restrict to just styli with "pixi" in the title, I get more expensive styli, like this one:

Should I spend 3x more for someone who is probably selling the same exact tip? Or is there a difference between capacitive touch styli? Does anyone know?

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/20/2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Thread moved and spammy link removed
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since it relies on capacitance, you need a minimum area, which from my investigation needs about the size of a pencil (8 mm) and of course conductive.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I agree: a properly working stylus would be severely useful and the capactive model is flawed when it comes to actually working how one would like it to...

The Samsung S-Pen appears to have the functionality I would like, but runs on a different technology.

I'm not sure how we get that level of functionality on a purely capactive screen, but I too would like to know.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably the best option would be the transparent disc type. As you said, s-pen is a different technology. Those fine pen options require a second set of hardware to handle it.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jasontaylor7
Old 10/24/2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Try without the screen protector? Its worth a shot.

Anyway, you could even make a DIY stylus (there were a couple articles on that on lifehacker once)

It looks like it should work.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jasontaylor7
Old 10/25/2012, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

I will remove the protector and report back. It is an expensive procedure, since I need to be in a clean room to install the protector, and I don't have a clean room. I can use a makeshift air gun instead but it is tricky and I need to wear rubber gloves to avoid fingerprints.

It is too bad there are are no real answers. I guess there are pixi users elsewhere? There must be another forum? Somewhere? Or most of the pixis are sitting in closets now? I mean I appreciate the above responses, but my question of whether or not there is any difference between the expensive ebay products with the word "pixi" in the title or the cheaper styli with the word iphone in the title remains totally unanswered. I regret starting this thread. It would have been better to do just assume I'm on my own. I wish hp had not shut down the old forums, like ?precentral?

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 10/25/2012 at 10:32 AM.
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

All capactive stylii work on the same principle. I don't believe there will be any significant difference in function between inexpensive vs expensive models if they have the same design of soft rubber tip.

The only one I see that has a different design model is the Jot Pro:

Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 10/25/2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
I wish hp had not shut down the old forums, like ?precentral?
This is PreCentral, and operated independently from HP. You've got to be patient. Not everyone here has experience with touch screen pens.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I will remove the protector and report back. It is an expensive procedure, since I need to be in a clean room to install the protector, and I don't have a clean room. I can use a makeshift air gun instead but it is tricky and I need to wear rubber gloves to avoid fingerprints...
Are you talking about the $1 screen protector you cited in the OP? A clean room for the thin, plastic, throwaway sheet?

Or are you talking about disassembling the digitizer and removing a layer?
Old 12/02/2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Are you talking about the $1 screen protector you cited in the OP? A clean room for the thin, plastic, throwaway sheet?
Yes.
Quote:
Or are you talking about disassembling the digitizer and removing a layer?
No.

Cost is irrelevant. If the screen protector costs $0.00001, and I don't use a clean room, there will be particles of dust between the screen protector and the screen, causing air bubbles, and my screen will have bubbles on it.

Anyway, I forgot to report back. Even without the screen protector the stylus doesn't work without pressure. The problem wasn't the screen protector. I just decided to avoid using the screen for anything important.
Old 12/02/2012, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Did you look into the Jot Pro? Seems the closest to what you want...

I'm pretty sure less than 1% of the population uses a clean room to install/remove screen protector film and somehow civilization progresses. The obvious answer is just procure a new film and apply it. They aren't terribly expensive.
Old 12/02/2012, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you look into the Jot Pro? Seems the closest to what you want...
Thanks for this info. That's what I need. It is a tad expensive at $25 a pen. I tend to lose them often, phone coming out of pocket and landing on the floor usually, so that is a $100 pen set to me. More than the value of most webos devices themselves. Perhaps I need to stick with Microsoft's windows mobile os. Microsoft's oses are the most secure, since they spend the most on security.

Well if there was dust the 1st time there will be also the 2nd, so it doesn't help to try again with a new one.

I think most people don't use a screen protector and only 1/3 have a bubble free one. Also, most people presently have a scratched screen.
Old 12/02/2012, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ok... what a convoluted argument

Every multi-touch touchscreen manufactured at this point is a capacitive touchscreen. They are all the same in terms of the basic technology. Some are more accurate, others less. Pre, Pixi, iPhone, the million 'Droids out there, they all work the same way, hence the need for expensive electro-conductive leather "iPhone gloves" for those who want to use the phone while keeping their hands warm.

Since they all rely on the same technology, so do the stylus manufacturers, so the words like "Pixi" are simply advertising keywords. They are all pretty much the same and the rubber tips turn into pencil erasers in only a few weeks as the coating wears off, unless you use a graphite lubricant powder (non-scratching, purer graphite than the pencil lead variety) on it.

As for the cleanroom, why do you need one? Just use a clean microfiber cloth to blot off most dust, then take a hot shower and while you are still naked and the bathroom is full of steam, there will be no dust. Any air bubbles that are air and nothing else, will resolve themselves in a week. Now, i use expensive screen protectors and not the $1 crap, but the routine is the same if you want a good result.

Quote:
[snip]
Perhaps I need to stick with Microsoft's windows mobile os. Microsoft's oses are the most secure, since they spend the most on security.
[/snip]
Are you for real? Shoo troll, so away
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
All capactive stylii work on the same principle. I don't believe there will be any significant difference in function between inexpensive vs expensive models if they have the same design of soft rubber tip.

The only one I see that has a different design model is the Jot Pro:

Click to view quoted video
Ooo! Nice find

And you're right on about the rubber tips... once the tip gets some wear on it, a fancy Wacom rubber-tipped stylus is hardly any better than a $5 competitor...
Old 01/17/2013, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps I need to stick with Microsoft's windows mobile os. Microsoft's oses are the most secure, since they spend the most on security.
Are you for real? Shoo troll, so away
I was indeed joking, but the argument is totally legit, and it's a consideration for some people, including me:

Android:
https://plus.google.com/+svartling/posts/9AMQyEesoCb
Apple:
Kaspersky: Mac security is '10 years behind Microsoft' | Apple - CNET News

I think I heard a talk or two in which someone was making fun of stock iphone security, having an audience member root it. Sorry, couldn't find the url.
Old 01/17/2013, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, Unix/Linux is only as secure as it's configuration... The open source aspect often helps weed out bad code, so i'm not surprised if a poorly configured proprietary fork has some serious issues.

In the past, Microsoft's devs have written some really exploitable code, hence my reply. But definitely, XP now is a lot more secure than 10 years ago, 7 is even better. They are learning

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0