1.    #1  
    I bought an HP Touchpad for family in Europe.
    I failed to take into account that they only have an ethernet cable (wired) connection, no wireless. Any suggestions on getting their Touchpad connected in their home? I have thought of getting these items, but dont know if they work:

Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter (ASIX AX88772 chipset): Computers & Accessories

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
    You'd be wasting your time and money.

Easiest solution is to install a Wireless Router or Wireless Access Point on their ADSL Line.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    You'd be wasting your time and money.

Easiest solution is to install a Wireless Router or Wireless Access Point on their ADSL Line.
    My experience with routers is limited, but how do I know the router is compatible with their connection?
    unless my knowledge is woefully inadequate, a wi-fi router should work fine if it can take Ethernet in.

just be sure to set it up with security and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by surrat View Post
    My experience with routers is limited, but how do I know the router is compatible with their connection?
    It would help if we knew what Modem/ Router is currently in use and who the ISP is. Most ISPs will provide a Wireless Router free if you sign up for 12 months.

In Europe it is more common to use an ADSL Router which had an integrated Modem which connects to the Telephone Line directly. If they are on a Fibre service then you need a Router without the ADSL Modem and which connects to an Ethernet interface.
    You don't need a new router with Wireless-LAN - just a so called Access-Point (AP). It converts the wired LAN into a wireless and can be installed as an addon. An AP cost less than a whole router and the most have an easy to use installer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I bought an EUR 12,- TP Link one while in China where I only had wired LAN which was no good for my TP or Veer... Worked like a charm :-)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    OR you can avoid any hardware purchase if you have windows 7 installed in ur PC through a software called connectify . you can google it for more info
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    OR you can avoid any hardware purchase if you have windows 7 installed in ur PC through a software called connectify . you can google it for more info
    Why? You can also just setup an ad-hoc connection from whatever OS.
  10.    #10  
    They are extremely computer illiterate and Im not traveling all the way there to set it up for them.
    They say they have a modem provided to them by the ISP. They have ADSL; ethernet cable from the phone to the modem to the dinosaur computer.
    I guess my question is this:
    Is there a router/access point they can tack on to the end of this current setup that will just project their current connection without any special permissions/fees/hardware from the ISP? It needs to require only minimal setup because they dont even know English, and that makes things even more difficult.
    Maybe like what Gonozal was saying, I guess, but does anyone have a link to an example? (Budget is an important piece of the puzzle.)
    Thanks.
    Last edited by surrat; 09/17/2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Best bet is to buy a WiFi router (in the US decent ones can be had for $50 or less. This will allow you to plug their current connection into the input side of the router (unplug from computer plug into input of the router). The router will then be able to be setup for WiFi for the TouchPad and you will have most likely 4 outputs. Usually the router will include one ethernet cable, plug this cable into one of the outputs from the router (doesn't really matter which one) and plug the other end into the computer where you unplugged the cable from the modem to the computer.

Most likely with DSL (once again from my knowledge of US DSL), the login information is stored in the modem.... most of the time doing the above then setting up the wifi settings will be all you will need to do. With my current setup I believe I ended up passing thru the login settings from the modem to the router then setting up the router as the login device.... I was having connectivity issues, and this does make the process a bit more complex.

As others have said, they may be able to get an all in one router and modem from their ISP as well. I shy away from this personally because I am more tech savy and have been messing with internet connections for almost 20 years (installed my first modem back when I was a young kid, for the days standard, nowadays I wasn't all that young, but 4 year olds get iPads now...). My mother-in-law goes with the ISP supplied setup and is happy with it, so nothing against the other option, it's just not for me.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Which country and which ISP? From there you will probably find out if the ISP provides a wifi enabled router. That has to be much easier than playing around with hardware that needs to integrate with your Touchpad.

Adhoc connections are going to be a pain as the other system will need to be on at all times.