Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darth_luigi
  • 1 Post By vudude
  1.    #1  
    I just installed Dr Battery to find that my Pre3's battery is half dead(Health = 49%).
    This is insane since I'm not a power user.
    The only thing I can think of that is out of the ordinary is an issue I've been having with the Touchstone in my car.
    Whenever I touch the headlights or change gear it seems to cause a dip in the power just big enough to cause the TS to shut off for an instant causing the phone to give the charging alert(Extremely annoying when on country roads and turning the high beam off and on every time a car passes you)
    The phone doesn't seem to notice when it's plugged into the charger.

Could this be tricking the overcharging circuit and frying my battery?

Or do you have any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by darth_luigi View Post
    I just installed Dr Battery to find that my Pre3's battery is half dead(Health = 49%).
    This is insane since I'm not a power user.
    The only thing I can think of that is out of the ordinary is an issue I've been having with the Touchstone in my car.
    Whenever I touch the headlights or change gear it seems to cause a dip in the power just big enough to cause the TS to shut off for an instant causing the phone to give the charging alert(Extremely annoying when on country roads and turning the high beam off and on every time a car passes you)
    The phone doesn't seem to notice when it's plugged into the charger.

Could this be tricking the overcharging circuit and frying my battery?

Or do you have any other ideas?
    I get those power dips too, but have never had a problem with charging on touchstone in the car. Been doing it since my pre- in 2009. It wasn't a problem in my old car, just my new one (2011 subie forester).

Mine does it when:
    - shifting into drive
    - headlights on/off
    - headlight high beem on/off
    : (){:|:&};:
    Are you sure it's accurate? Maybe you could try calibrating it
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Mine does it when:
    - shifting into drive
    - headlights on/off
    - headlight high beem on/off
    Exactly the same as mine.
    I towed a trailer the other week and it went off every time I touched the breaks.
    I've got a Ford Territory.

Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    Are you sure it's accurate? Maybe you could try calibrating it
    The calibrate feature doesn't work with the Pre3 for some reason.
    sorry to report, but ... Yes it could which is exactly why I'm using my old pre + as an in car device on my 2000 beamer. I notice it dead in the mornings nowadays and keep in mind the battery used to hold days (no wifi, no phone service, just bluetooth always on to pick it up automatically), now it goes 100 to 0 in about hour or two as I said with no apps or service whatsover.

I suspect that the heat produced wears the bat off faster than it should but ... I plug in the pre3 only when I need some boost to last the day.
    The calibrate feature doesn't work with the Pre3 for some reason.
    None of the newer devices calibrate has to do with the different chip in the batteries (somline developer of dr battery has outlined this in more specifics).

@ the OP, how often would you say this happens? I doubt this is your issue as I am a TS user everywhere (including my desk at work) and I pickup and put back down my phone all day long every day.

Have you tried running the device all the way down then charging to full? This could help calibrate the chip in the battery. Other than that, I would say spend the nominal fee to get a Mugen battery.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    @ OP, how often would you say this happens? I doubt this is your issue as I am a TS user everywhere (including my desk at work) and I pickup and put back down my phone all day long every day.

Have you tried running the device all the way down then charging to full? This could help calibrate the chip in the battery. Other than that, I would say spend the nominal fee to get a Mugen battery.
    The disconnect/reconnect happens every time I change from drive to reverse or back and every time switch the lights on or to high beam.
    I have done 2 full discharges in the last couple of days Dr Bat is still saying %49.

I got my hands on a Tom Tom car charger yesterday that puts out 1.2amps instead of 1.0amps out of the Palm charger.
    It doesn't seem to have the dropout issue so I'll be using that from now on.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Yeah the extra amperage probably still shows enough amperage during spikes to not turn off the TS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    my mugen battery is now at 50% health but i am almost certain that it's a calibration issue. i was letting it run down to 0% in hopes of re-calibrating but my pre3 ran for another 2 hours or so after hitting 0%.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebee127 View Post
    my mugen battery is now at 50% health but i am almost certain that it's a calibration issue. i was letting it run down to 0% in hopes of re-calibrating but my pre3 ran for another 2 hours or so after hitting 0%.
    I'm wondering if this is the case.
    My phone sat at 0% for a wile before it completely died.
    I'm going to power cycle it a couple more times and see what happens.
    I know on the TouchPad you can still use it for around 15 minutes after the meter hits 0.
  12.    #12  
    Well my battery problems have solved themselves.

The other day I dropped my Pre3 on the tiles and smashed the screen.

:'(

Should I get another Pre3 or try a Galaxy Nexus and hope for an Open WebOS port?

P.S. @OldSkoolVWLover. Are you trying to be ironic by having a new bug as your avatar?
    Yes it could which is exactly why I'm using my old pre + as an in car device on my 2000 beamer
    P.S. @OldSkoolVWLover. Are you trying to be ironic by having a new bug as your avatar?
    LOL nope, I have had the handle for over a decade.... grew up as a kid in air cooled cars. Currently own three water cooled (the blue one is not ours, but the wife does have a 1.8t new beetle). Custom headliner, custom dash, custom trunk, on some steel wheels with chrome hub caps. Even more ironic, all my cars being water cooled I have the OG KDF VW logo tattooed on my leg, pre WW2.

Okay sorry back on topic (sorry).

It is weird to hear all the people with various battery health on their Mugens, I have heard from a few folks that they are down in the 50/60% ranges. Anyone having problems with Mugen may want to contact them, last person I am aware of got an instant offer to replace.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    darth_luigi’s problem probably would have also been solved with a new 1 amp charger. All electronics degenerate over time, that time is determined by the quality of the components. I recently had a similar experience with charging a mp3 player. I have 3 Sandisk Sansa Clip mp3 players. They are all different versions of the same player. I would charge them all with the same wall charger. I started having problems with one player not charging even though the other two would charge fine. I initially though it was the battery or player. I found the player would charge when connected to the computer. Ordered a new wall charger same amperage, problem solved.

Off Topic -

OldSkoolVWLover... You may allready be aware of this ...
    In 2001 I went to Mexico and noticed a lot of air cooled VWs. I later learned that Mexico had still been manufacturing old skool VWs till around 2006.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Yup I knew that... crazy mexico or I guess crazy VW...