webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > New TP-App: USB FlashMount OTG
New TP-App: USB FlashMount OTG
Like Tree10Likes

Old 06/05/2012, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi all,

first alpha-version of my App that automounts flashcards, pendrives or other USB mass-storage-devices like Pixi, Pre or Veer which are connected via an USB-OTG-cable, an USB-Y-cable and a bus powered USB-hub to your TouchPad.

You can see more informations about the attached drives and you can unmount them by wiping them out.

One important function comes from the "Network Drives"-App from Nelsun, finding here:
<http://forums.webosnation.com/nelsun-app…ive-mapper.html>

And I also added the ntfs-3g-Treiber, that you can access NTFS-formated medias:
<http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpa…write-ntfs.html>

The App comes as it is, no warranties, use it at your own risk!

More informations in german you can find here: USB FlashMount OTG - Software - Nexave Palmforum

EDIT 10.06.12:
New alpha version 0.0.7
- fixed bug when no sn exists
- added unmount to device info
- some speed improvements

EDIT 17.06.12:
New alpha version 0.0.8
- checks OTG cable "status" after start/refresh
- the output is sorted by device-name
- added some more device-types, guess which ones :-D
- fixed problem if label is the same on two device
- fixed problem if there are more mounts for one device
- fixed about dialog

Known issues:
- last output sometimes not fully printed, no idea why, just press refresh
- "ejecting" of webOS-devices not working correctly, the device is unmounted and the mount-directory is deleted, but the Pre/TP/... does not recognize that, no idea yet how to change this
- insert SD-, MS- and other flash-cards into the card-reader before connecting it via USB to the TouchPad, otherwise the UDEV-automount-rules will not recognize it

EDIT 22.07.12:
Current and all further versions are available via Preware only, so I removed the IPK from this post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlashMount_1.jpg (58.5 KB, 186 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg FlashMount_2.jpg (53.1 KB, 148 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg FlashMount_3.jpg (54.1 KB, 121 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg FlashMount_4.jpg (59.9 KB, 123 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by thg; 07/22/2012 at 01:00 PM.
thg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bevcraw, HaPe, noradtux and 5 others like this.
Old 06/06/2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thg View Post
first alpha-version of my App that automounts flashcards, pendrives or other USB mass-storage-devices like Pixi, Pre or Veer which are connected via an USB-OTG-cable, an USB-Y-cable and a bus powered USB-hub to your TouchPad.
Hi everybody,

OK, now some more information on the program in english, yesterday it was a just little late :-)

This is the first 'public' alpha version of my "USB MountFlash OTG" App for the TouchPad, if I call it "beta" I will publish it in Preware, anyway for me it is already stable and reliable, but there are some things I want to improve and enhance. Because of some internal functionality it is not possible to publish it in the official App Catalog.

To install the App, the BASH ("Bourne Again Shell 'from Preware) is required and it might be necessary to put the TouchPad in Developer Mode, so that everything can be installed (I don't know that, just test it).

The installation package is aimed to put all required program elements in the right place on your TouchPad, including the required UDEV rules, all BASH scripts, the NTFS package and of course the App itself. When you delete the App, everything should be uninstalled with the exception of the NTFS driver.

As I already mentioned there is one important function (commandline.js) in the program, that comes from the "Network Drives" App from Nelsun, which can be found here: Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper

Included in the package is also the ntfs-3g driver, so you have access to NTFS-formatted media from here: [HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS

The used icons are from the KDE Crystal Clear theme, or just put together by me.

After connecting a new storage device, the App starts automatically and then displays the device that are mounted after a short delay, if you connect other devices, they are also recognized and the display in the App will be updated, unfortunately not really fast.

The devices are mounted to "/media/internal/usb", if any, to their label names or otherwise to there device name (sdxn).

Unfortunately the content of the mounted directories can only be shown with "Internalz Pro" if you have "Show hidden files" enabled or in the Terminal, but if you open a video-file, it will be played with the media-player. So your personal video library on a 128GB USB flash drive is not a Problem:-D

If you click on the icon [ i ] of a device, the App displays more detailed information about the attached device.

If you erase a disk drive by "wiping" it out, it will be unmounted and the directory created for mounting will be deleted. Unfortunately the webOS devices do not recognize the unmounting correctly, so you have to disconnect the cable and after a while they quit the USB drive mode.

SD-cards, etc. are only recognized if you disconnect the USB-hub/cardreader, then put in the card and finaly connect USB-hub/cardreader to the TouchPad again.

To use, you need an USB-OTG-cable connected to the TouchPad, an USB-Y-cable for power supply and an USB-hub that is able to "put some power" on the TP so that it recognizes the device and works as an OTG host.

The USB-OTG- and USB-Y-cable is available for little money on eBay or Amazon, for example:
Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories and
http://www.amazon.com/Utstarcom-Univ.../dp/B0041CFFBM

USB-hubs that are working for me I got from Pearl.de for 10 to 25 EUR, you might find similar ones some where else:
usb hub, MICRO sd: Kompakter 2 Port USB 2.0 Hub mit integriertem microSD/HC Cardreader - Card reader / micro SD Karte
Kartenleser, Card Reader: c enter Winziger Multi Cardreader mit 3 fach USB Hub - Speicherkarten / inverter
micro SD, SD karte: c enter Multi Cardreader SIM/ SMART/ mit aktivem 3 fach USB Hub - KARTENLESER / XD

I attached some screenshots of the current App-version with the "maximum expansion" of the App, more than 7 devices can not be displayed :-)

Finally, some words of warning:
The program comes as it is, the only guarantee I can give is, that it consumes space on the TouchPad and that it may delete or destroy data on your device(s), so use it on your own risk.

The program runs only on the TouchPad, I have tested it on three different TPs with webOS 3.0.5, several USB-hubs and USB-hubs/cardreaders and a lot of USB mass storage devices and memory cards. It is also important, that the TouchPad, as long as the OTG-cable is connected, does not go into sleep mode. Otherwise you must expect that the TP does no longer responds to the USB-port until you restart it.

Last edited by thg; 06/11/2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: corrected bad links
Thanked by WDPage, zubiaur
Old 06/06/2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi thg, Looks like a great piece of work and I will download and try it tomorrow.

Have you tried using Commander as your File Manager? It gives you a two pane directory tree view and can be set to open in Root mode by installing the "hotkey" double click of the home button.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 06/06/2012 at 06:44 PM.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2012, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Hi thg, Looks like a great piece of work and I will download and try it tomorrow.

Have you tried using Commander as your File Manager? It gives you a two pane directory tree view and can be set to open in Root mode by installing the "hotkey" double click of the home button.
Thanks for the work on this. When I try it, I get this error:

Service does not exist:

de.thg.usbflashmount.node

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder1958 View Post
Thanks for the work on this. When I try it, I get this error:
Service does not exist:
de.thg.usbflashmount.node
Any ideas?
well seems to be an error ...

You have installed Preware and the BASH?

You might set your TouchPad into DeveloperMode before installing.

And finaly this version still writes a lot of debug-output.

After enabling the DeveloperMode on your TouchPad you can put the USB cable into it and open a terminal via novaterm.

The enter

tail -f /var/log/messages | grep -i "flashmount"

Start the installation of the App and send me the output.
Old 06/08/2012, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

I just encountered an other error:

If the USB-stick/pendrive does not have a serialnumber, the App fails.

I already have fixed this in the next alpha, but I want to do some more stuff before publishing it.
Old 06/08/2012, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

It works very well, thank you very much! I had the problem with the missing service too, after installing bash and reinstall everything was fine. Much better than the script I've put in commander.
But I had problems ejecting my Pre3, I had to reset it to stop USB-mode. One suggestion: eject (auswerfen) instead of delete (löschen) would be better.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
xanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2012, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuk View Post
It works very well, thank you very much! I had the problem with the missing service too, after installing bash and reinstall everything was fine. Much better than the script I've put in commander.
But I had problems ejecting my Pre3, I had to reset it to stop USB-mode. One suggestion: eject (auswerfen) instead of delete (löschen) would be better.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
thg,

I was ble to get mine working after installing removing/reinstalling. Works well.

Thanks for your efforts as well as Wheel Nut, who helped me with his version recently.

Mark
Old 06/09/2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi thg,

I am struggling with understanding the procedure to install your App. Please could you clarify whether the procedure below is correct:

1) Install BASH from Preware

2) Download your de.thg.usbflashmount_0.0.6_all.ipk.zip File; Where should it be placed on the TouchPad?

3) How do I unpack the Zip File?

4) Do I use Preware to install it?

Lastly, is V0.0.6 the latest version?
Old 06/09/2012, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

So this program mounts it, but we will need Internalz Pro to view the files?
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2012, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I am struggling with understanding the procedure to install your App. Please could you clarify whether the procedure below is correct:

1) Install BASH from Preware
Yes.

Quote:
2) Download your de.thg.usbflashmount_0.0.6_all.ipk.zip File; Where should it be placed on the TouchPad?
Unzip it on your computer and put the IPK (not the ZIP) on your USB-partition of your TouchPad (/media/internal)

Quote:
3) How do I unpack the Zip File?
On your computer.

Quote:
4) Do I use Preware to install it?
It is not yet in Preware.

If you have copied it to your USB-partition on your TouchPad you can use "Internalz Pro" to open and install the IPK.

Or you use QuickInstall to install the IPK.

Quote:
Lastly, is V0.0.6 the latest version?
Not anymore :-)
Old 06/09/2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
So this program mounts it, but we will need Internalz Pro to view the files?
yes, right now this is the only solution.

If the basic functionality is stable, I will look into that to find a solution.

But if "Internalz Pro" has a file-handler for a file type (like music, video), it can show/play the file on the external flash memory.
Thanked By: Jakeeeee
Old 06/09/2012, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

New alpha version 0.0.7 is out:
- fixed bug when no sn exists
- added unmount to device info
- some speed improvements

See link in the first post!

For one problem I have not yet a solution:
If you connect a webOS-device like a Pixi, Pre, Veer or TouchPad via an OTG-cable to your TouchPad, it will be mounted and unmounted correctly. Unfortunately the webOS-devices do not recognize that you have unmounted the device and thus you have to unplug the cable and wait until the device ends the "USB drive"-mode by itself - and the TouchPad tells you very angry that it does not like this :-D

Last edited by thg; 06/09/2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06/09/2012, 08:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

OK. I installed BASH

Downloaded and unpacked the ipk file and copied it to the TouchPad

Used Internalz Pro to Open and install it. - No Errors reported.

Did a Luna Restart from Internalz Pro

The App now appears in the Downloads App Icons

So far so good BUT:

The App does not start automatically when I plug in the OTG Cable rig

If I open the App, the list is blank. Refresh does'nt mount the OTG SD Card

If I mount the OTG Device and then Refresh USB Flash Mount OTG, it shows the OTG Device and I can swipe and Unmount it.

Unplugging and re-plugging the OTG Cable doesn't mount the OTG Device.

I tried Uninstalling USB Flash Mount OTG from Preware - It uninstalled without error. I then reinstalled it from Internalz Pro and it installed without error ....... but results are same as before
Old 06/10/2012, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
So far so good BUT:

The App does not start automatically when I plug in the OTG Cable rig
only pluging in the cable is not recognized by the App. The App is triggered by Linux UDEV-rules for USB-devices and it will show you all mounted devices, if you start it manually.

Quote:
If I open the App, the list is blank. Refresh does'nt mount the OTG SD Card
That means that UDEV-subsystem has not recognized that you plugged in a new USB-device.

You already have tried a simple USB-stick/pendrive connecting to you USB-hub?

As I mentioned before, in my experiences, pluging in a SD-, MS- or other flashcard into the hub-/card-reader combi never triggered any UDEV-rules at all and thus does not trigger an automount nor the App start.

I always had success with USB-sticks/pendrives and USB-harddrives or unplugging the hub-/card-reader (while leaving the OTG-cable connected to the TP and the Y-cable to the OTG-cable and power-source) insering the SD-, MS- or whatever-card in the unpowered reader and connect it back to the Y-cable.

Quote:
If I mount the OTG Device and then Refresh USB Flash Mount OTG, it shows the OTG Device and I can swipe and Unmount it.
At least that means that you USB-OTG-hardware seems to work.

Quote:
Unplugging and re-plugging the OTG Cable doesn't mount the OTG Device.
This should work with USB-sticks/pendrives/harddrives plugged into you USB-hub, while it didn't worked with flashcards.

Try it as I mentioned above.

This version still writes a lot of debug-output to "/var/log/messages".

So please reboot your TouchPad and put it in DeveloperMode, then install the App and do your tests:

Plug in your OTG-stuff, plug in your USB-devices, if neccessary mount your devices manually and start the App, unmount the devices with the App etc. and then close the App.

Now disconnect the OTG-cable, connect the TouchPad via the USB-cable to your computer and open a terminal via novaterm.

The enter

grep -i "flashmount" /var/log/messages > /media/internal/flashmount.log

and send me this file.
Old 06/10/2012, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

So we need the OTG, Y and the hub? Could someone take a picture of the setup? It sounds like a lot to plug in(even though I'm aware it's necessary)
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2012, 04:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
So we need the OTG, Y and the hub?
yes, problem is that the TouchPad does not deliver any power through it's USB connector, so we have to use the solution with Y-cable and bus-powered USB-hub.

Quote:
Could someone take a picture of the setup? It sounds like a lot to plug in(even though I'm aware it's necessary)
See here:
TouchPad unterstützt USB Host Mode - Hardware - Nexave Palmforum
Thanked By: Jakeeeee
Old 06/10/2012, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi thg,

I don't have any Pen Drives, only SD and MicroSD Cards with USB adapters and as you suggest, these will not work with the UDEV Rules. I will try to get some Pen Drives tomorrow and try again then.

Some more questions:

The app seems to install error free without putting the TP in Developer Mode. Is your suggestion to use Developer Mode solely for the purpose of getting Trace data?

How do I get your App to see Network Drives? Should this happen automatically when the App is started from the Icon?

I will try the OTG mount again once I have got a Pen Drive. Thank you for your help and patience.
Old 06/11/2012, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I don't have any Pen Drives, only SD and MicroSD Cards with USB adapters and as you suggest, these will not work with the UDEV Rules. I will try to get some Pen Drives tomorrow and try again then.
you might try it with your SD-cards as I described before (I expect that you manually can mount this device):

Connect everything to your TouchPad, unplug the USB-card-reader from USB (it should not have power anymore) put in your SD-card and plug it back on the USB-cable.

For me this works with my USB-hub/card-readers.

Quote:
The app seems to install error free without putting the TP in Developer Mode. Is your suggestion to use Developer Mode solely for the purpose of getting Trace data?
If it works in "normal" mode you don't have to change it (I expect that it does work), only for debuging over novaterm you need to switch to developer mode.

Quote:
How do I get your App to see Network Drives? Should this happen automatically when the App is started from the Icon?
The App is not supposed to mount or even just show network drives, it is only ment for local USB-devices. Maybe I can add the showing and unmounting of Samba-shares too.

But if you need this there is the "Network Drives"-App I mentioned in my first post:

Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper

It needs an Uberkernel to work, because the CIFS-protocol is not included in the standard kernel.

Last edited by thg; 06/11/2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06/11/2012, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

thg,

I find this otg app works very well foe my purposes. I can now easily access my photos on my sd card using the otg cable, solar hub, and mini usb sd card reader.

I look forward to any future enhancements.

Many thanks again

Mark

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0