Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Wheel_nut,

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    When I plug in my Solar Hub and OTG Cable with a Flash Drive installed, nothing happens. The FlashMount App doesn't launch.
    You also tried to connect the USB OTG-cable to the TP, then connect the USB-adapter and the hub, wait a second and finally plug in your USB stick?

If I launch FlashMount, and refresh it, it doesn't show the Flash Drives. However, If I manually mount the Drives and then refresh FlashMount, the Drive(s) show up and I can read the Info Panel and even unmount them by swiping.
    So it seems that your OTG-setup works, but inserting the USB-pendrive is not recognized by UDEV-rules on the TP.

I have a solar-/battery-powered hub too and I think I also had problems with it from time to time, but I can't remember if I fixed it. During all the development I only used the USB Y-cable with external power.

Did you tried your USB-pendrives also with such an USB Y-cable?

And you might send me the logs too, above I described how to create them.
    Thanks for the app THG. I found it in preware and it auto-installed all the additional software necessary . With a battery powered hub it recognizes all my usb storage, even my SSD with a usb 2.0 converter. Without the hub it recognizes one multi-card reader but not the others. I wonder why, but it is not a problem.

With my setup I can unload my cards to a usb hard-drive with my touchpad. I have not tested it for speed yet. That would be a small issue for me.

Very nice job. Like I said from installation to execution it worked without a flaw.

I thought some positive remarks would be welcome. Thanks again...

running 3.05 with uberkernel... It would be great to have a gui for internalz...

here is a small pic to show my setup. From bottom I have AA battery case, usb hub, multi card reader and usb hard drive. So far I have had no problem reading NTFS or FAT32. Hope this helps the poster that wanted an exploded view. I can understand. The little black thing on the external drive is my sansa clip+ and it showed up in flashmount otg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by greenlaser; 07/29/2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Hi thg,

Attached is the log file for the following actions:

Plugged in OTG Cable.
    Switched on Hub and plugged it into the OTG Cable
    Plugged the Thumb Drive into the Hub (FlashMount did not launch)
    Plugged the MicroSD card #1 and adapter into the Hub (FlashMount did not launch)
    Plugged the MicroSD card #2 and adapter into the Hub (FlashMount did not launch)
    Manually Launched FlasfMount - No Drives shown
    Refreshed FlashMount - No Drives shown
    Manually mounted all drives using my otg script
    Refreshed FlashMount - FOUR Drives shown ( the Thunb Drive has two partitions)
    Swiped and unmounted all four Drives

... then created the Flashmount.log file (renamed to flashmount .txt)
    Attached file to this post
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 07/30/2012 at 03:41 PM.
  4. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi,

Plugged in OTG Cable.
    Switched on Hub and plugged it into the OTG Cable
    please connect the OTG-cable, then the USB-/Mirco-USB-adapter, then the solar/batt. USB-hub and then switch the USB-hub on. Now insert the SD-card into your USB-card-adapter and plug it into the hub, or plug the USB-pendrive into the hub. Please remember that the devices must be formated as FAT32, NTFS or ext3, otherwise the TP can not recognize it.

Plugged the Thumb Drive into the Hub (FlashMount did not launch)
    If FlashMount did not mount means, that the USB-devices where not reconized by the TP.

And thus the FlashMount-log does not help "too much".

Please delete the content of /var/log/messages (do not delete the file itself), connect cables and hub again, switch the hub on and connect a USB-device again. Finaly copy the current /var/log/messages to your /media/internals and send this to me.

I just tested the app with my solar-/batt-powered hub and a USB-SD-card-adapter with inserted SD-card and it worked for me, a picture of my setup is attached.

BTW: The USB-SD-card-adapter I am using also works directly in the Y-cable (without USB-hub) with an external power supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    please connect the OTG-cable, then the USB-/Mirco-USB-adapter, then the solar/batt. USB-hub and then switch the USB-hub on. Now insert the SD-card into your USB-card-adapter and plug it into the hub, or plug the USB-pendrive into the hub. Please remember that the devices must be formated as FAT32, NTFS or ext3, otherwise the TP can not recognize it.
    OK, did it in that sequence and the attached copy of the message file shows that the devices were detected but the Flashmount App didn't launch.

I then unplugged the Thumb Drive and plugged it in again a couple of times into two ports of the hub before copying the messages file.

I just tested the app with my solar-/batt-powered hub and a USB-SD-card-adapter with inserted SD-card and it worked for me, a picture of my setup is attached.

BTW: The USB-SD-card-adapter I am using also works directly in the Y-cable (without USB-hub) with an external power supply.
    Your Hub looks identical to mine and the Thumb Drive I am using is a Maxell 4gb. The two MicroSD cards are 16GB and 32 GB. All are formatted FAT32.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Your Hub looks identical to mine and the Thumb Drive I am using is a Maxell 4gb. The two MicroSD cards are 16GB and 32 GB. All are formatted FAT32.
    probably it's the same from China :-D And I also have 16GB and 32GB FAT32 SD-cards (but not MicroSD).

Some more ideas:
    - reboot your TouchPad
    - try it with an USB Y-cable and external power-source
    - change the USB-/Mini-USB-adapter
    - fully charge the hub before using
    - check if the LED is flashing on the USB-devices after inserting them
    - check if "/etc/udev/rules.d/11-mnt-auto-mount-ntfs.rules" is present and no other similar file is there, send this file to me
    - check if "/bin/usbmount.sh" is there, it should have Version 0.8, 01.07.2012, if unsure, send me this file too
    - uninstall FlashMount, check if both files are deleted (if not do it manually) reboot TP, reinstall FlashMount via Preware, reboot and finaly check for the two files again (normaly a reboot is not necessary after install/remove because the install-program reloads the UDEV-rules after changing them)

No more ideas ....

Because probably I'm offline for at least the next day, some final hints:

You are using 3.0.5? I have not tested any other version - actually I don't think 3.0.4 or 3.0.6 should be a problem, but it's untested.

You are sure that the BASH is installed via Preware? Actually the app should not run if not installed, but who knows.

Did you ever played with UDEV-rules on your TouchPad? If so, delete all of them. You also might look into the UDEV-log with: "udevmonitor > /media/internal/udev.log"

If all of this does not help, your TP has a problem with the UDEV-rules which are a very basic (Linux)-functionality, so if you are using a patched kernel you might try the original one (while it should run at least with the UberKernels from Preware - I have not tested any beta/alpha kernels), maybe the last alpha LunaSysMgr might be a problem too and finaly doctor your TP and try tha FlashMount app again.
    Last edited by thg; 07/31/2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: ... some mote ideas ...
    - check if "/etc/udev/rules.d/11-mnt-auto-mount-ntfs.rules" is present and no other similar file is there, send this file to me
    - check if "/bin/usbmount.sh" is there, it should have Version 0.8, 01.07.2012, if unsure, send me this file too
    - uninstall FlashMount, check if both files are deleted (if not do it manually) reboot TP, reinstall FlashMount via Preware, reboot and finaly check for the two files again

No more ideas ....
    You have cracked it! The two files were NOT present so I followed your instructions and uninstalled/ re-booted/ re-installed .... and it worked the first time and every time thereafter.

Thank you for your tenacity in diagnosing my problem. This makes connecting OTG devices so easy!

p.s. Edit: removed report of a known behaviour anomaly.

p.p.s If you could use a Car Charger for your TouchPad, PM me your full postal address and I will send you one with my compliments.

Edit: Having got FlashMount OTG working on my TouchPad, I installed it on my wife's TouchPad. The first installation failed to install the two files in the Bin and Var directories. I uninstalled/ re-booted/ reinstalled and it worked perfectly the second time.

Thanks again for a very innovative and useful solution.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 07/31/2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed p.s. reporting a known behaviour. Added installation anomaly
  8. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Wheel_nut,

p.p.s If you could use a Car Charger for your TouchPad, PM me your full postal address and I will send you one with my compliments.
    thank you very much for this, but I don't have a car, I'm not in the US and I already build a cable with resistors to charge the TP with most USB-chargers :-)

But I will ask my sister in love who is living in TX if she needs one for her TP :-)

Edit: Having got FlashMount OTG working on my TouchPad, I installed it on my wife's TouchPad. The first installation failed to install the two files in the Bin and Var directories. I uninstalled/ re-booted/ reinstalled and it worked perfectly the second time.
    I have no clue why this happens, I really made "millions" of installations and deinstallations on several TPs and this never happened to me.

Even not on TPs where I made the first time install.

Are there any other people out there who encountered this problem?

I have no clue why this happens, I really made "millions" of installations and deinstallations on several TPs and this never happened to me.

Even not on TPs where I made the first time install.

Are there any other people out there who encountered this problem?
    Hi thg,

See Post #7 by Xanuk and Post #8 by mlinder1958. Both of these users seem to have had the same experience with their first installation but were successful when they uninstalled/ reinstalled.

BTW, I am in Scotland U.K. ... not the USA.
  10. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    See Post #7 by Xanuk and Post #8 by mlinder1958. Both of these users seem to have had the same experience with their first installation but were successful when they uninstalled/ reinstalled.
    yes, but it was a quite early alpha, so it might have changed.

But I will look at it if it happens again.

BTW, I am in Scotland U.K. ... not the USA.
    Ahh, OK so it doesn't makes much sense ...
    Hi thg,

I have noticed a peculiar difference between the behaviour of Pen Drives and MicroSD-cards-in-USB-adapters when connecting with a Y Cable WITHOUT a Hub. The Pen Drives are recognised and mount automatically but the SD Cards in adapters are not. However, if I use a USB Hub, FlashMount recognises and mounts all of the devices.

Is there a logical explanation for this? I also noticed that when FlashMount displays the info on the SD Cards, it shows the same serial number for both cards. Could it be that the Hub is providing some default information which is not present in the SD Card adapters?
    Can someone please list exactly what hardware is needed, if possible with links, to make this work. Would the following two things be enough, or is more required?
    SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter

OEM PCD Universal Y Adapter USB Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector

A quick response will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  13. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Would the following two things be enough, or is more required?
    probably you will need an USB-hub too and a USB power supply.

Look at post #2 there I have listed some available in Germany, but probably you will find similar all over the world.

In addition this SD-card-reader works without USB-hub:

Transcend Hi-Speed SDHC 16GB Class 6 Speicherkarte mit: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

And this solar-powered USB-hub also can work without extra Y-cable if fully charged, if not you still can use it with Y-cable and USB power supply:

4 Port Solar Powered Battery USB 2.0 Hub & Charger Adapter BUS POWER | eBay
    probably you will need an USB-hub too and a USB power supply.

Look at post #2 there I have listed some available in Germany, but probably you will find similar all over the world.

In addition this SD-card-reader works without USB-hub:

Transcend Hi-Speed SDHC 16GB Class 6 Speicherkarte mit: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

And this solar-powered USB-hub also can work without extra Y-cable if fully charged, if not you still can use it with Y-cable and USB power supply:

4 Port Solar Powered Battery USB 2.0 Hub & Charger Adapter BUS POWER | eBay
    could you please explain the role of each hardware that is needed.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    could you please explain the role of each hardware that is needed.
    You will find all you want to know in this thread http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-kbd-etc.html and the thread referenced in the first post of that thread.

In a nutshell:

The TouchPad MicroUSB port supports OTG Host Mode BUT, it doesn't provide the 5 Volts required to power the dependent device and neither does it automatically mount any devices found.

The MicroUSB Port is switched into Host Mode by bridging pins 4 and 5 of the MicroUSB port. The OTG Cable facilitates this function and provides a standard USB A Female socket for the dependent device(s).

Power (+5V) to the dependent device can be provided EITHER by using a Powered USB Hub such as the DTech Solar Hub OR by using a Y Cable plugged into a USB Powered source. Note that the light plug o the Y Cable only has wires connected to the +5V and Gnd Lines.

thg's FlashMount OTG App provided the software required to recognise and mount USB Drives plugged into the Hub or Y Cable USB A Female Socket(s).

Lastly, there is a quirk of the UDEV Rules which thg uses to facilitate the mounting of USB devices. This quirk is that not all SD or MicroSD Card USB adapters are recognised. However, it would seem that all Pen (thumb) drives are. However, when used with a Hub, ALL devices are recognised.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 08/12/2012 at 01:53 PM.
  16. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi,

I just released FlashMount v0.3.0 in Preware.

Only a small update, no new functionality but optimized the code, removed some debug-code, still beta-code, so errors "included", but now there is less debug-output in the logs.

And I slightly change Icon :-)

I tried to figure out why some adapters are not recognized and why you have to remove/reinsert SD-card-readers before the SD-cards are recognized, but I couldn't find a solution. They are just not seen by the webOS-subsytem if inserted, I checked all logs, but no success. Sorry for that :-(

Have fun, thg
    OK, I have upgraded to 0.3 on both of my TouchPads and everything seems to work just as before. Many thanks thg.
    ""..I tried to figure out why some adapters are not recognized and why you have to remove/reinsert SD-card-readers before the SD-cards are recognized, but I couldn't find a solution. They are just not seen by the webOS-subsytem if inserted, I checked all logs, but no success. Sorry for that :-(..""

I had the same problem with 'Windows XP' and a simple USB SD Card reader.
    No big problem!

(But I notice 'Internalz Pro' may have some Image files size limit which prevents scolling through large amounts of images held on such an SD Card?)

Your instructions say "If you want to attach a webOS-device, you have to make sure to put it into 'USB-drive'-mode within 60 seconds, otherwise it will not be recognized and will not be mounted!."

I can't figure out how to put the TouchPad into USB drive mode without connecting it to a PC. But then the micros USB port is used and I can't plug in a device such as an SD card reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by tax curmudgeon View Post
    Your instructions say "If you want to attach a webOS-device, you have to make sure to put it into 'USB-drive'-mode within 60 seconds, otherwise it will not be recognized and will not be mounted!."

I can't figure out how to put the TouchPad into USB drive mode without connecting it to a PC. But then the micros USB port is used and I can't plug in a device such as an SD card reader.
    I think that you have misunderstood the relevance of that instruction. It relates to the connection of another webOS device such as a Pre or Veer to the TouchPad as a OTG slave device so that the TouchPad can access files and folders on the connected device. It is the Pre or Veer that "you have to make sure to put it into 'USB-drive'-mode within 60 seconds".
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast