Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
Like Tree10Likes
  1. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #21  
    Hi,

    next and hopefully last alpha 0.0.8 before I call it beta

    I added the current IPK to the first post.

    Changes:
    - checks OTG cable "status" after start/refresh
    - the output is sorted by device-name
    - added some more device-types, guess which ones
    - fixed problem if label is the same on two device
    - fixed problem if there are more mounts for one device
    - fixed about dialog

    Known issues:
    - last output sometimes not fully printed, no idea why, just press refresh
    - "ejecting" of webOS-devices not working correctly, the device is unmounted and the mount-directory is deleted, but the Pre/TP/... does not recognize that, no idea yet how to change this
    - insert SD-, MS- and other flash-cards into the card-reader before connecting it via USB to the TouchPad, otherwise the UDEV-automount-rules will not recognize it


    And some picture from testing that is quite useless, well actually completely useless, but it makes fun and it works
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Isandunk likes this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi,

    next and hopefully last alpha 0.0.8 before I call it beta

    I added the current IPK to the first post.

    Changes:
    - checks OTG cable "status" after start/refresh
    - the output is sorted by device-name
    - added some more device-types, guess which ones
    - fixed problem if label is the same on two device
    - fixed problem if there are more mounts for one device
    - fixed about dialog

    Known issues:
    - last output sometimes not fully printed, no idea why, just press refresh
    - "ejecting" of webOS-devices not working correctly, the device is unmounted and the mount-directory is deleted, but the Pre/TP/... does not recognize that, no idea yet how to change this
    - insert SD-, MS- and other flash-cards into the card-reader before connecting it via USB to the TouchPad, otherwise the UDEV-automount-rules will not recognize it


    And some picture from testing that is quite useless, well actually completely useless, but it makes fun and it works
    Just installed from Preware - WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    I had put the hardware together much, much earlier, but never got it to work due to my unix / coding ignorance. Installed this app just now, plugged in my "Contraption", powered it up, ran the app -- and there was all my data, bight and ready to access in Internalz.

    Once more: THANK YOU!
    Last edited by silverbackdave; 07/01/2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
  3. #23  
    Ha, love that last photo
  4. #24  
    thg,

    That is SkyNet waiting to happen, right there. Be careful, mate.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #25  
    Hi everybody,

    OK, next beta 0.2 is available at Preware:

    http://www.webosnation.com/usb-flashmount-otg

    Changes are:
    - mounts into jail-dirs of some Apps, like Tegi's Commander, so these App can access the devices directly
    - unmounting/ejecting of webOS-devices now works correctly
    - can show and unmount CIFS/SMB-shares which are mounted with "Network Drives"
    - some fixes ...

    Have fun,

    regards,

    thg
  6. #26  
    Hi THG,

    0.2 works flawless for me. Installed bash (search for Bourne in preware), then your IPK. Reboot. Plugged in OTG cables and my powered USB hub. Started Flashmount and plugged in my USB pendrive. Recognised and could open files in usb directory with Internalz Pro. Started Commander, open usb and then the folder of the USB drive, but nothing. Just empty directory. Weird. Unmounted and mounted USB drive and now shows up in Commander. Not sure whether Commander had an hiccup or something else is at work. Will do some more testing.

    Update: did some more testing. Commander does never recognise the drive the first time. Only after unmounting and mounting the drive again I can access the files. Looks like Commander works different than Internalz which works the first time. Not sure this is a Commander issue or the way the drive is being mounted with Flashmount. Don't have enough dev knowledge to figure this one out. Who can?

    Anyway thanks, this is what I've been waiting for a long time.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi everybody,

    OK, next beta 0.2 is available at Preware:

    http://www.webosnation.com/usb-flashmount-otg

    Changes are:
    - mounts into jail-dirs of some Apps, like Tegi's Commander, so these App can access the devices directly
    - unmounting/ejecting of webOS-devices now works correctly
    - can show and unmount CIFS/SMB-shares which are mounted with "Network Drives"
    - some fixes ...

    Have fun,

    regards,

    thg
    Last edited by renater; 07/02/2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Updated more testing
  7. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Update: did some more testing. Commander does never recognise the drive the first time. Only after unmounting and mounting the drive again I can access the files.
    which "Commander", there are two available?

    But what I can confirm is, that the App-jail-dirs are not always there, if the App was not started before and if they do not exist, FlashMount can not mount into them.

    You can check this by touching on the [ i ] where you can see all additional mounts.

    Looks like Commander works different than Internalz which works the first time. Not sure this is a Commander issue or the way the drive is being mounted with Flashmount.
    Yes, there is a very important difference:

    Internalz Pro (with enabled "show hidden files") shows really all files from /media/internal/usb/..., but all other Apps normaly are not able to do so (if there is no "show hidden files option").

    But they are able to show files that exist in their own jail, so if this jail-directory exists, FlashMount also mounts the device to that directory too and normaly this should work.

    I tried this with some Apps like Tegi's Commander, XX Commander, an Editor, Kalem Media and normaly it should work. Sometimes I could not write to the devices even if they are mounted RW, but this is an other issue.
  8. #28  
    Apologies for not being specific, I meant XX Commander.

    And yes, XX Commander obviously needed to be started before Flashmount mounts the drive. After that the additional mount shows up and I can access the files on the USB drive. Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    which "Commander", there are two available?

    But what I can confirm is, that the App-jail-dirs are not always there, if the App was not started before and if they do not exist, FlashMount can not mount into them.

    You can check this by touching on the [ i ] where you can see all additional mounts.
    .
    Last edited by renater; 07/03/2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Added: access the files
  9. B/B
    B/B is offline
    B/B's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    #29  
    Works great! Now I'm happy, Thank you.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    Just installed from Preware - WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    I had put the hardware together much, much earlier, but never got it to work due to my unix / coding ignorance. Installed this app just now, plugged in my "Contraption", powered it up, ran the app -- and there was all my data, bight and ready to access in Internalz.

    Once more: THANK YOU!
    Dave:

    I'm anxious to try this to be able to move files from my Pre 3 to my TP, but even with THG's pics, I'm still not clear about the hardware package (or "Contraption" as you call it :-) ) since I'm .not familiar with the cable terminology. Could you help me?

    It appears that the first cable, coming from the Touchpad, has a male mini usb on the Touchpad connection end and a male standard usb on the other, and is called an OTG cable? Or is it a standard female usb on that end?

    The second cable is a "Y" type cable, but I can't tell whether the three standard size usb ends are male or female. Is there a name for this cable?

    One arm of the "Y" cable connects up to a cable that goes off screen in the photos, I believe to a power source. Is that power source a computer/laptop or a standard outlet?

    The other arm of the cable goes to a multi-adapter card reader with usb ports to which the various devices are connected by cables. Is this device necessary if I just want to connect my Pre 3 or one device at a time?

    The most useful thing would be to see the cables sitting in relationship to each other but disconnected so that I could see where they are male or female. Even better would be if someone would be so kind as to post links to the required cables/devices from Amazon or some other seller.

    Thanks in advance for your help!
  11. #31  
    I directed my above questions to silverbackdave, but would appreciate a response to them from anyone.

    Thanks!!
  12. #32  
    See my post #261 in this thread Functional USB Host on Touchpad

    Otg Cable Micro USB Host Mode OTG line and mother Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII AAU | eBay

    Y Cable USB 5V 1000mA Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable for External Device | eBay

    Try this IN THE SEQUENCE specified:

    Using a MicroUSB OTG Cable and a USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable:

    a. Connect the Thumb Drive to the Female USB end of the Y Cable
    b. Connect the Heavy (Main) cable USB plug of the Y Cable to the OTG Cable
    c. Connect the Light cable USB plig of the y Cable to your TouchPad Power Supply
    d. Now plug the OTG Cable Micro USB Plug into the TouchPad
  13. #33  
    Hi

    Im trying to download and unzip the ipk file but just cant do it and it doesnt open in adobe and how wouls i put it onto my touchpad from my laptop - so im stuck please can someone tell me in simple instructions what to do here please

    thank you
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    See my post #261 in this thread Functional USB Host on Touchpad

    Otg Cable Micro USB Host Mode OTG line and mother Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII AAU | eBay

    Y Cable USB 5V 1000mA Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable for External Device | eBay

    Try this IN THE SEQUENCE specified:

    Using a MicroUSB OTG Cable and a USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable:

    a. Connect the Thumb Drive to the Female USB end of the Y Cable
    b. Connect the Heavy (Main) cable USB plug of the Y Cable to the OTG Cable
    c. Connect the Light cable USB plig of the y Cable to your TouchPad Power Supply
    d. Now plug the OTG Cable Micro USB Plug into the TouchPad

    Thanks Wheel_nut! Really appreciated the links and the step by step walkthrough.

    Just ordered the cables and can't wait to try it once they arrive!!
  15. #35  
    Any chance we can get mouse support for ubuntu? That would be awesome.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Thanks Wheel_nut! Really appreciated the links and the step by step walkthrough.

    Just ordered the cables and can't wait to try it once they arrive!!
    Cables arrived this evening. Ripped open the package, connected things up per Wheel_nut's great step by step instructions, and the TP couldn't detect my Pre 3 and launch USB Flashmount. It also didn't trigger the "Just Charge" or "USB Mode" query/option on my phone.

    I thought maybe I had a faulty OTG cable, so I tried a pendrive next and it immediately launched the USB Flashmount program and mounted the drive and I was able to view it using Gemini File Manager.

    So is the problem that my Pre 3 isn't in USB mode so USB Flashmount won't launch when I plug the OSG cable into my TP, or should it trigger the option to choose USB mode once I connect the OSG to the TP?

    Any help?
  17. #37  
    <little help?>
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    well seems to be an error ...

    You have installed Preware and the BASH?

    You might set your TouchPad into DeveloperMode before installing.

    And finaly this version still writes a lot of debug-output.

    After enabling the DeveloperMode on your TouchPad you can put the USB cable into it and open a terminal via novaterm.

    The enter

    tail -f /var/log/messages | grep -i "flashmount"

    Start the installation of the App and send me the output.
    I'm experiencing the same 'Service does not exist: de.thg.usbflashmount.node' error. How to install BASH in Preware? Should I remove the app first then re-install it again?
  19. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
       #39  
    Hi everybody,

    first, I'm on vacation with poor to none internet-connection, so do not expect fast responses. Second, please read the docs and the whole thread to understand how to install and use the App.

    The installation is done via Preware only, do not use the IPK that was attached to this thread.

    The BASH is mandatory, so open Preware search for "Bourne Again Shell" and install it, then search for "Flashmount" and install the app too. You might restart your TP to make sure the USB is working correctly, because sometimes it "hangs".

    Then you need the "hardware", an "USB OTG-cable", an "USB Y-cable", a USB power-source like a computer, a USB power-supply (Pre/TP power-supply for example) or a battery-pack with 5V USB-outlet and finally a "bus-powered" USB-hub where you connect your USB-pendrive, Pre, USB-HDD or a USB-cardreader.

    Some pendrives (but none of the 20 different I own) and some cardreaders (I have two multi-card and a SD-card that do work) might work without USB-hub, that means OTG-cable into TP, Y-cable into OTG-cable, power into red plug of Y-cable and USB-device directly into the second plug of the Y-cable, but the majority of the USB-devices need the hub that is connected to the second plug of the Y-cable.

    The Flashmount app does not start if you only plug in the OTG-cable, but if you start the app and press refresh, it will recognize if the OTG-cable is connected and shows it in the status line.

    During my tests I normaly connected the OTG-cable to the Y-cable at one end, connected the power-source to the red and the hub to the black USB-connector at the other end of the Y-cable and finally my USB-device into the hub. Then I plugged the Micro-USB of the OTG-cable in my TP, the Flashmount comes up and shows the attached devices.

    I encountered three problems that might occur sometimes:
    - the USB-stack of the TP "crashed", you even can not connect it to your PC/laptop anymore, to fix this, you have to resrart the TP
    - the USB-hub "hangs", no devices are recognized anymore, to resolve remove all devices, unplug power, after replug the power new devices should be recognized again
    - defunct/wrong/incompatible cables, I had a not working Micro-USB-cable and a Mini-USB-cable that was charging other devices, but didn't worked to connect the hub to the Y-cable, so just try different cables if you have problems

    Hope that helps,

    regards,

    thg
    Last edited by thg; 07/22/2012 at 09:18 PM.
  20. #40  
    Hi thg, I am back from vacation and have been trying to use FlashMount OTG again.

    After installing BASH, the FlashMount OTG app installed easily from Preware and the Icon appears on the Downloads page. So far so good.

    When I plug in my Solar Hub and OTG Cable with a Flash Drive installed, nothing happens. The FlashMount App doesn't launch.

    If I launch FlashMount, and refresh it, it doesn't show the Flash Drives. However, If I manually mount the Drives and then refresh FlashMount, the Drive(s) show up and I can read the Info Panel and even unmount them by swiping.

    I have tried resetting the Hub, also tried unplugging and re-plugging the OTG Cable and also re-booting the TouchPad to no avail. I can't get FlashMount to auto-mount the drives.

    Any clues as to what I may doing differently? You previously suggested that it may be that I was using SD Cards in Card readers so I have now got a couple of 4GB Thumb Drives which behave no differently.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions