webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Pebble E-Paper Watch
Pebble E-Paper Watch
Like Tree6Likes

Old 04/17/2012, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just bumped into a booming kickstarter for a smart watch that interacts with your phone.

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android by Pebble Technology — Kickstarter

The watch looks absolutely brilliant, and would be a great companion to any webOS phone. The problem is that the project only is planned for Android and iPhones. What can we do to work with awesome accessories like this? I'd be willing to donate to a fund if I could get a Pebble watch working with my Pre3.

I say Wow!
kamalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, I begged for one. Please also ask them to support webOS.

HaPe

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

It does look pretty cool, but without webOS support, I don't plan on buying one.

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
RickNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

We were just discussing this on twitter last night.

I believe some functions should work out of the box (this is just a guess though, no facts to back it up). I am assuming, some functions will be based on standard BT protocol.

Unfortunately to get early access to the SDK you have to pledge more than I am willing to just to hope I get some function out of the box. I think with the SDK and some coding knowledge additional webOS function could be added. I would love to see it with the ability to pull webOS notifications. I also think the GPS function should be there with a lil development on the webOS side (and maybe the pebble), Metaview has shown this is possible with his GPS functions on the TouchPad/Phone.

All of that said, I don't have enough time and current knowledge to jump into it, but I hope somebody does.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
We were just discussing this on twitter last night.

I believe some functions should work out of the box (this is just a guess though, no facts to back it up). I am assuming, some functions will be based on standard BT protocol.

Unfortunately to get early access to the SDK you have to pledge more than I am willing to just to hope I get some function out of the box. I think with the SDK and some coding knowledge additional webOS function could be added. I would love to see it with the ability to pull webOS notifications. I also think the GPS function should be there with a lil development on the webOS side (and maybe the pebble), Metaview has shown this is possible with his GPS functions on the TouchPad/Phone.

All of that said, I don't have enough time and current knowledge to jump into it, but I hope somebody does.
I expect that nothing will work without a special app. There only is a standard BT protocol for some sort of SMS (that is the one that the Touchpad uses with a mobile phone).
Metaview and I offers them help to get webOS supported as we expect that they also use the BT serial protocol. That is the same protocol that Metaviews MapTool and the app for the Sony MBW watch uses.

Until now we do not have any feedback from them, but I expect that they have a lot of eMails in there Inbox.

HaPe

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/19/2012, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

My thought was out of the box would be caller ID and SMS, since those are the standard protocols I would hope they are using.

I was hoping that GPS might be doable similar to how MapTool works, then one would have to find a way to load the watch apps. It seems like the watch apps install to the watch and only use the GPS from the phone, which in theory would mean they would work. You clearly have more knowledge of this than I, just throwing out my thought process. Obviously if the phone is doing any of the application processing then this throws a wrench into my hope for GPS.

On a similar subject, is there any more development going on for the Sony MBW watches? With the Pebble coming out, I have been looking at the Sony watches again as I am in the market for a new watch. Pebble seems like it will have much better battery life, and IIRC Metaview was having problems with his battery life a while back.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 04/21/2012, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi guys,

we got some more Information: Pebble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
We will be publishing open specifications for the protocol of sending notifications to Pebble. So if any other developers want to add other phone support, they will be able to do that. Naturally that support will be 3rd party and not as extensive as our own native apps, but it could be possible for a 3rd party developer to add.
Liked by xandros9 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 04/21/2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

awesome i may have to hit that kickstarter for the black one.

are u and metaview planning anything? Would happily throw money your way for function, and im sure many others would
Old 04/21/2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Naturally that support will be 3rd party and not as extensive as our own native apps, but it could be possible for a 3rd party developer to add.
haha, let's see if our dedicated homebrewers will not even get a better support running in the long term
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 04/21/2012, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
haha, let's see if our dedicated homebrewers will not even get a better support running in the long term
This is why I think of buying one.
Old 04/22/2012, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
awesome i may have to hit that kickstarter for the black one.

are u and metaview planning anything? Would happily throw money your way for function, and im sure many others would
I can not confirm anything that it will be possible. All I can say is that I'm a bagger of the project for a black Pebble and will try to get it working as soon as I have more information or the watch in my hands. We will see what the results will be.

HaPe
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 04/28/2012, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

For what it is worth...

I am planning to create a Smartwatch Service for webOS. Essentially, this will be an interface to apps and different smartwatches.

Initially, I am planning to support the WiMM One (WIMM Labs) and probably the MetaWatch (MetaWatch - Home). Shouldn't be hard to add others.
Old 04/28/2012, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

metawatch looks super interesting, looking forward to see your work, once you get there, down to alpha/beta/etc if I have the money to buy a device
Old 04/30/2012, 02:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
For what it is worth...

I am planning to create a Smartwatch Service for webOS. Essentially, this will be an interface to apps and different smartwatches.

Initially, I am planning to support the WiMM One (WIMM Labs) and probably the MetaWatch (MetaWatch - Home). Shouldn't be hard to add others.
Hi dkirker, I only want to have the best Pebble support for webOS that is possible. If it is done by your new app or a modified version of Metaview's MB150 app do not matter for me.
I worked together with others on some of the system integration patches for the MBW150 app, so if you have your service ready we can adobe them to also support your app.

I checked both of the watches and there are some thinks that I like more on the Pebble:
- The design (This is only personal statement)
- It has a ePaper display Pebble
- 7 days of run time
- current price is 115$ as kickstarter begger

HaPe
Old 04/30/2012, 10:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Meh, if I knew about this before and could get onto the $99 one instead of the $115 one, I probably would've. But $115 kinda pushes the bank for me for a product not being even made yet. Plus who knows if it'll even been made...
xezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2012, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

I signed up so I could get one to use with my iPad, but if it worked with my Pre2 that'd be even better.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Only 10,000 more orders will be taken according to this article I just read. So if you are on the fence, now is the time to get one.

Pebble e-watch: Last chance to order Canadian-made Kickstarter ‘it’ product | Metro
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 11:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

I was on the fence about this... I plan to get a used Android phone soon anyway to retire the Pre-. It's pricey and it's not something I really need but it is no doubt cool. I thought about waiting it out til all the kinks are worked out or 2nd gen comes out but then if this first release is this September, you'd be waiting at least another year or more until a newer version comes out... so I bit the bullet. Pledged today.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2012, 03:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just an update, they tweeted full SDK to be available to all in August.
Old 08/22/2012, 12:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Might anyone be able to do Meta Watch with webOS? The watch is already out & an SDK does exist as long as your Bluetooth hardware supports Serial Port Profile. Only thing preventing me from switching to webOS from Android is Meta watch support, given webOS can work for my other needs & does 'flow' a lot nicer than Android. Does anyone else here have a Meta Watch & is familiar with development for Android? Maybe the Community Edition Android app can be ported over to webOS in some way?
adam917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0