Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Xeron
  • 4 Post By Xeron
  • 1 Post By Xeron
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I love my Pre 3, but I was disappointed that HP decided not to include the cool pouch that Palm used to ship with the original Pre.

So, I bought some material and after about 3 or 4 prototypes, I've made a pretty good pouch for my Pre 3 (and for my wife's Veer). The outer is the same suade-effect material, and the inner is cotton. They're hand made on my dining room table, so don't expect perfection, but they look good and feel just like the Palm pouch (and clean the screen just as well .
    This thread is to judge interest in potentially selling them. They'd go for about £3.50 for the Pre 3 size, or £3.00 for the Veer (+ postage). If you'd be interested, post a reply in this thread.

Unlike the Palm pouch, the inner and outer are both black, but if enough people ask for palm-style with orange inside to make it worth buying the orange material, i'll get some.

Edit: Hmm maybe this thread should be moved to webOS smartphone accessories?
    Last edited by Xeron; 03/23/2012 at 06:16 AM.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    kataran and trott3r like this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Here are some images (i've included an original Palm pouch for comparison):
    Next to the phone:

With phone inside:

View into the top with phone inside:
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    that's cool....nice job

I still use my pre- case on my pre2 at work

you should think about a stamp tool to put the palm or webOS logo on them....that would stand out
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    I would be interested in a TP case for the road....I am a fan of the orange inside with a curved opening....what about a zipper TP only

hope this takes off for you
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I could make a TP case... I just made one for my wifes kobo touch The curved top on the official palm case would be tricky to do, but I could certainly do the orange lining and a line of orange stitching along the top.

I would not put Palm, HP or webOS logos on for copyright reasons...
    i originally tried the pouch/sock type solutions at first, then later tried a few other types, my fave so far being the PDAir fliplid case, its just pure awesome, a nice hard plastic sort of cradle covered with leather, has all the correct gaps for sockets/camera, can still slide the keyboard out unobstructed etc, belt clip'able as well if its your thing.

Was going to try a hell of a lot more to see which i prefer but after that pdair case im stopping there as it just beats anything else ive tried, nice to see the DIY front leaping in here tho, are you going to try any different types or perfect the ones your doing now?

Also hows the materials your using fairing if the device was dropped? (wouldnt wanna tempt fate deliberatly dropping mine tho just incase) have you tried padding the inside of your pouch with something to help with small drops/knocks or leaving as is? Nice effort btw.

One i like btw : http://www.amazon.co.uk/PDair-Leathe...2511668&sr=8-2
    Last edited by geekpeter; 03/23/2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    The pouch is pretty much like the Palm pouch; it wouldn't offer much shock protection, but if you like to keep your phone in your pocket (like I do), it offers good protection from scratches and scuffs.

I liked the Palm pouch a lot because it didn't add much bulk or weight to the phone, keeps it scratch free, and doubles as a handy screen wipe. This is why I have tried to make something as similar as possible.

I have made about 4 Veer pouches, 3 Pre3 pouches, and 2 kobo touch pouches, and they're turning out really well now. I think what I'll do is make up more Veer and Pre 3 pouches with the material I have and sell them through eBay. These will be all black like the photo above.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    <thread moved @ OP request>

looks good, I might be interested...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Looks good! If you would somehow put an HP or webOS-logo on if, then I'd buy it immediatly from you, even for a few dollars more!
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    I would be interested in a TP case for the road....I am a fan of the orange inside with a curved opening....what about a zipper TP only

hope this takes off for you
    That one is already selling at the hp.com store.
    Nice work! I would actually be very interested in getting one of the pre3 pouches, as long as your willing to ship to Canada :P
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I love using my sleeping bag on my Pre2. I'm glad that I saved it from my Pre Plus. Never leave home without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Nice work! I would actually be very interested in getting one of the pre3 pouches, as long as your willing to ship to Canada :P
    Haha, good point. I live in The Netherlands, hope he's willing to send it all the way here. I'm willing to pay any additional shipping costs, so I guess that won't be a problem.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Yeah looks good I have struggled to find an equivalent myself.

I considered cutting the side of the pre1 pouch so it would fit in easier but decided against it.

I use it on top of the pre3 when its on the touchstone at night to keep the dust off it.
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    ok I hope to find the time to make up the rest of these soon.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    wow... Its been a bit longer than I expected but I think I should be able to find some time to make these soon.

the good news is that the one I made for myself has been in constant use all this time ans is still fine, so I'll be confident of the quality of the items when I sell them.
    I'm currently using a "sock" pouch from Sony for one of their cameras, but it'd be cool to get some sort of pouch for my Pre3 with its extended battery. Hard to find cases for it... :/
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I'm currently using a "sock" pouch from Sony for one of their cameras, but it'd be cool to get some sort of pouch for my Pre3 with its extended battery. Hard to find cases for it... :/
    I've got mine in a generic BB case (don't have the bigger back though). Might wanna go into your local frys and check out the generic stuff, that's how I found mine. The side on this are elastic so it may fit the extended battery.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I've got mine in a generic BB case (don't have the bigger back though). Might wanna go into your local frys and check out the generic stuff, that's how I found mine. The side on this are elastic so it may fit the extended battery.
    Yup! Fry's is where I got this: FRYS.com†|†Sony

So far I actually really like it!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.