Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcmarcos
  1.    #1  
    So that's it: The lovely, iconic Palm Touchstone charger doesn't charge anymore my Pre 3. Any electrical engineer willing to help?

This Touchstone came with my original Pre, and has been giving juice to it and my Pre 3 for months. Two days ago, it decided to convert itself into a magnetic paperweight: My Pre 3 won't charge through it, although it charges fine with the AC adaptor plugged to its microUSB port.

Is there anything to fix inside a Touchstone? Or is perhaps the phone's back cover coil that is fried?

Of course, the Touchsone has always been used with great care, no impacts or moisture ever. But I plugged its adapter into a solar powered domestic network. Of course, it gives the usual 220 AC volts over here in Europe, and there are some appliances and light bulbs working fine.

The current comes from 12 volt batteries, and I think the converters raise voltage in a square wave, not a sinusoidal one. That's not unusual, it's just the cheap way of raising voltage. Can that fry a Touchstone coil, but leave the AC adapter unharmed?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    did you toss your old pre on it to see if that charges? Every now and then my pre3 stops charging on the touchstone and I restart it. Usually solves it. If not, I use the USB cable and eventually it starts working again.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Toss your old pre to see if that charges.
    Thankyou Cantaffordit, I will try that.

Every now and then my pre3 stops charging on the touchstone and I restart it.
    I did restart it with no result, but will try again with a full power cycle, removing battery. Fingers crossed!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I will try again with a full power cycle, removing battery.!
    ...and thus, my Pre 3 charges again through the Touchstone!

W00sh likes this.