webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Original HP Touchpad Batteries now available on eBay, CHEAP - Finally!
Original HP Touchpad Batteries now available on eBay, CHEAP - Finally!
Like Tree6Likes

Old 03/16/2012, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus_fallen View Post
I found if I used a hair dryer to warm up the shell before using plastic safe-pry tools the case opened fairly easily.
( warming the case allows it to flex, bend more without breaking the tabs.) I have successfully used this trick on six touchpads without a problem. still you need to be patient and take your time. Hope this helps.
May I ask why you have opened up six TouchPads?

Oh and as far as Hong Kong batteries (not saying I have any experience with the ebay seller), Mugen is Hong Kong based.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 11:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Anyone had any experience replacing a touchpad battery? One of mine modded to CM9 dual boot died - perhaps from moderate to heavy use this past year. I've tried just about everything mentioned including trickle charge, checking to make sure stock charger wasn't loose, charging straight for a week, various button combinations - nothing. It's completely dead as a doornail, no flashing LED nada. IT was left indoors at the temp got up to 90Fin the house but I don't see how that could have killed it.

TO make matters worse, popped it open and Voltage reads about 2.4V so sounds like a dead battery. Unfortunately the power button was toastified in teh process of opening (button intact but the metal contact switch piece must have come loose/pushing button=no springy action can't find it either). Question: Should I try a ebay replacement battery - sure hate to waste a good TP if can be brought back to life with a 25$ ebay battery.

Main Concern: **Would it still work w/o power button? From what I can tell plugging into USB should cause a TP to wake-up? Would the various button combinations be enough to cause it to power up.

Only thing not tried I just read: Keep 2 weeks off charger idea - will try this now - if any luck will post back. If still no luck, will consider a battery replacement
EasyPulse - free HR calculator

Last edited by cyberprashant; 09/24/2012 at 11:43 PM.
cyberprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 04:27 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Maybe someone can produce a replacement case so we can change the battery and also replace the case with the cracks by the speakers.
There was a post here recently (in one of the 'cracked case' threads I think) of a US site offering new cases (and screens).
$17 for a single case..
BUT they thenselves are apparently still wating for delivery from HP.
Indication: Now that most units are out of warranty, HP seems to be selling off
their stocks of TP bits and pieces.
Probably a good time for us to get them for future 'backup' use.. yes.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/25/2012 at 04:35 AM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Responding to cyberprashant post:

In my opinion, very few people probably has any experience replacing the HP TouchPad battery. However, there is a very internet guide online that helps out to know or at least illustrate you on how to remove the back cover of the tablet device and replace its battery pack. They sorta had a bad experience when removing the back cover that seven plastic clips which hold the back covers broke off and it seems that there is no way of removing without breaking them.

IFixit placed online their repair guide, which is really insightful when it comes to repairing the HP Touchpad.

Here is the link: HP TouchPad Repair Guide

Anyways, changing the battery is a pain in the behind by looking on how they tell you on replacing the battery. Just by looking at all the steps, makes me want to say if any TouchPad battery gets damage, you be better off buying another tablet.
Old 09/26/2012, 09:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Responding to cyberprashant post:

In my opinion, very few people probably has any experience replacing the HP TouchPad battery. However, there is a very internet guide online that helps out to know or at least illustrate you on how to remove the back cover of the tablet device and replace its battery pack. They sorta had a bad experience when removing the back cover that seven plastic clips which hold the back covers broke off and it seems that there is no way of removing without breaking them.

IFixit placed online their repair guide, which is really insightful when it comes to repairing the HP Touchpad.

Here is the link: HP TouchPad Repair Guide

Anyways, changing the battery is a pain in the behind by looking on how they tell you on replacing the battery. Just by looking at all the steps, makes me want to say if any TouchPad battery gets damage, you be better off buying another tablet.
100% agree - this device wasn't made to be opened - but since i only paid $149 I figured what the hell and I used some thin soft blade knives since I didn't have teh specialized tool as in ifixit - as a whole it actually did open up okay - well sorta, the power button somehow got damaged (contact switch). Word to the wise, even with some mild tech experience (I've opened my fair-share of tech up before - in fact a frakenpre2 sprint was my daily driver for a long while), this device will try your patience!!! (the pre2 was MUCH easier and made to be opened) This is a total PIA to open without any injury to your TP. The clips will break but actually it seems to close up okay even with a few clips broken.
EasyPulse - free HR calculator

Last edited by cyberprashant; 09/27/2012 at 10:45 PM.
cyberprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 03:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

Hi
It's easy to open touchpad's case without breaking any of the clips. I've had to do it a couple of times because i want to repair a lcd cable /succeed :-) /.

I've opened it with a plastic knives from ikea -kalas- plastic is tough enough to pry the case, and soft enough not to break it or scratch it. You have to had 2-3 of them. it is easier at the first time to have a couple - about the same number as a clips :-) - so 8 will be excellent - pieces of plastic 1x2 cm - i've cut an old credit card - to lock the tabs in place while the lcd is still down there.
The 'secret' of not breaking the tabs is to put the knive beetween rear case and rubber seal near the tab, and lever the tab out of the hole in the screen assembly using a needle, paperclip, or anything else small enough. When the tab is levered, off the hole, it will ,click down' you can put aftermentioned piece of plastic on that place.

I hope that my post will be undersandable :-) so.. sorry for my english.
E
woocashewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 02/03/2013, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

I followed the tips posted by woocashewski, and they worked like a charm, enabling me to avoid breaking any of the clips. I started along the edge opposite the volume buttons, and worked my may around counter clockwise to the home button side next. You hit your first clip on the top edge of that side. Lifting the edge away from the screen enables you to see the shiny rounded edge of the clip. I simply took a small screwdriver and came in from the side of the clip edge and pulled it back towards the outside of the case. It didn't take much force to pop it loose. I did this for each clip in succession around the case. I didn't need to stuff anything in the hole to keep the clip from re-engaging, as I had a plastic edge tool that kept the top and bottom separated that I moved along with me, which kept the top of the touchpad from falling back down and re-engaging the clip. I would have been lost without woocashewski suggestions. Thanks!
apippin is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0