webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
Like Tree18Likes

Old 10/20/2012, 12:12 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Is it a MicroUSB or a MiniUSB connector that you have. The two are aof similar size but very different shape.

Also, check that the body of the plug is not fouling the Case if you are using one.

Whatever you do, DO NOT force it!
It is exactly the same size.
Mark S#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 12:14 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
If it is a micro - not a mini - then there should only be one size.. but I have also found that different manufacturers seem to use slightly different tolerences on the 'click' mechanism that is supposedly built into the micro design to hold it into the socket.
I had one micro USB cable that I had to initially be really 'firm' with, in order to get it to seat correctly and fully into the TP micro USB socket. After a few uses it became 'looser' and easier to use.

:-)
Yes, but given the other reply I'm nervous about doing that. I think my solution will be to bring both a laptop and my TP on my trip. I was hoping not to do that.
Mark S#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 12:41 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Yes, but given the other reply I'm nervous about doing that. I think my solution will be to bring both a laptop and my TP on my trip. I was hoping not to do that.
Understandable.
Though there is clearly a difference between 'forcing' and 'firmly inserting' (excuse the terminology!) until it 'clicks' and locates into the socket fully.. and there is only one way around and an optimal angle in/at which it is designed to do this.
I closely inspected the mini USB plug of which I spoke and the TP USB port, with a lamp and magnifying glass first to make sure there were no alien obstructions or bent connectors etc.
I also then sprayed some silcone lubricant lightly into both first.
It has also been necessary - as 'wheel_nut' points out - for me to trim the opening in the optional HP plastic case/cover with a sharp blade, in order to then allow certain brands of (wider) mini USB plug-housing to clear the case on all 4 sides without excess friction, obstruction or fouling.

I always travel on long trips with lappy and TP together anyway - (in case of any emergency 'Doctoring', 'WOSQI-ing' etc being required - and it has been!).

The OTG cable, Solar Hub, USB Flashmount OTG App and 'Internalz Pro' have together so far been really very useful in quickly transfering photos from Camera SD card to the TP, for example.
I wouldn't be without it now!

Good luck anyway!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/20/2012 at 01:10 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Mark S
Old 10/20/2012, 08:27 PM   #164 (permalink)

wheel_nut::
do you have opinions about this one::
http://www.amazon.com/Port-Solar-Pow...bosnation0e-20

i like the shape and the in-line ports; the dimensions seem smaller "The Brando Solar Charging 4-port hub measures 3.3″ x 1.4″ x 0.5″ and weighs 1.1 ounces" -- if this description matches the one given in link..

what do you think about the volt specs etc..

i also looked for one that just uses something like AA batteries.. came up blank
i think you gurus could make a lil box that charges HPTP when not using host mode..but still supports host mode (then not charging unit) but no biggie

thanx

Last edited by amkaos; 10/20/2012 at 11:03 PM.
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 05:30 AM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
wheel_nut::
do you have opinions about this one::
Amazon.com: 4 Port USB Hub Solar Powered Battery Charger: Electronics

i like the shape and the in-line ports; the dimensions seem smaller "The Brando Solar Charging 4-port hub measures 3.3″ x 1.4″ x 0.5″ and weighs 1.1 ounces" -- if this description matches the one given in link..

what do you think about the volt specs etc..

i also looked for one that just uses something like AA batteries.. came up blank
i think you gurus could make a lil box that charges HPTP when not using host mode..but still supports host mode (then not charging unit) but no biggie

thanx
I haven't seen one of those so have no advice for you on buying one.

The specs look very similar to the DTech Hub so it "should" wotk ad an OTG Hub if connected through an OTG Cable.

Regarding Charging the TPad, forget it! Without getting technical, let me say that the Hub doesn't have enough "oomph" to pull the skin off a Rice Pudding.

Regarding making and selling an in-line adapter to force the TPad to charge at full rate, irrespective of the source, the answer is NO - not at any price, for the reasons that I have stated before.
Wheel_nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 09:27 AM   #166 (permalink)

thanx for your reply wheel_nut..

i dont know how long the running time is for these solar chargers while in use..

actual port locations and size are big considerations.. i picture that i could temporarily position device behind HPTP and between the protection sleeve / prop - up stand that i use . so something small enough, w/ ports inline and w/ enough power to last the session for around that ~20$ usd pricepoint

i have looked for a battery device option, but i really dont know what i should look for in descriptions that would tell me it would be suitable .. so maybe i overlooked something i would care about..

i do know that i saw "battery powered usb chargers" but dont know if they support data..

i dont want to do the "Y" cable option..

thanx for your patience
Old 10/21/2012, 12:47 PM   #167 (permalink)

There are Battery Chargers available which could be adapted to charge the TPad but Charging and OTG functions are mutually exclusive. If you bought a charger like those I have listed below, it would need to be modified internally to the TouchPad spec. Alternatively, you could build something like the interposer described by BGrosse in his thread.

20000mAh POWER BANK PORTABLE BATTERY CHARGER 2 USB FOR iPhone iPad MP3/MP4 PSP | eBay

20000mAh POWER BANK PORTABLE BATTERY CHARGER 2 USB FOR iPhone iPad MP3/MP4 PSP | eBay

12000mAh USB Power Bank External Battery Charger for iPhone/iPad/iP
Old 10/21/2012, 03:13 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
There are Battery Chargers available which could be adapted to charge the TPad but Charging and OTG functions are mutually exclusive. If you bought a charger like those I have listed below, it would need to be modified internally to the TouchPad spec. Alternatively, you could build something like the interposer described by BGrosse in his thread.

12000mAh USB Power Bank External Battery Charger for iPhone/iPad/iP
wheel_nut..
either you mistood me or i misunderstand yiu;;;

i would like to find the solar powered hub your orig post was abiut Except w/ rechargeable batteries and not solar .. I feel like they wouldbe stronger.. Did you list somewhere how long of a session the solar hub generally lasts?

so if i search for this type of hub, would it necessarily say that it supports data or maybe not speak of it? Many tha i saw only lists charging capabilities

thanx
Old 10/21/2012, 05:41 PM   #169 (permalink)

The DTech Solar Hub has a 700 mAh Li-Ion battery built into it and the battery can be re-charged erither by the Solar Cell or by plugging the Hub into a USB source.

When fully charged, I get at least an hour of use from it but this is dependent on the volume of data transferred. This is described in this thread and also, how to back up the Solar Hub Battery by plugging one of the 4 ports into a USB Source of power..
Old 10/21/2012, 07:51 PM   #170 (permalink)

Doh! Its amazing how the mind see what it expects to see.
I still have to figure out why it connected once and not again though.
Frank496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:47 PM   #171 (permalink)

so, i my solar powered 4port hub and otg finally showed up..

if this h/b talked about, sorry.. i would like to know why the usb port on the otg cable couldnt be changed out for a mini male usb that plugs directly into the mini usb port of the hub-- eliminating one cable..

thanx

Last edited by amkaos; 11/24/2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11/26/2012, 03:36 PM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank496 View Post
Doh! Its amazing how the mind see what it expects to see.
I still have to figure out why it connected once and not again though.
[/URL]
i am just going to assume you are on android..

download stickmount 1.5 by chainfire.. not 2.0.. find in apps store..

reboot in recovery and clear cache then delvik..

reboot to droid..

go to settings > all apps > disable both drm protected content storage and media storage
this will at the minimum stops errors when dismounting hub..
at best it stops conflicts that prevents your setup from running

open stickmount and wait a lil bit just to make sure its up and running

use this sequence previously outlined by wheel_nut..

plug in otg cable..
plug in all periperals into hub.

power on hub.
plug into hub the mini usb into hubs port.

connect usb cable male end from hub into female usb on otg cable

wait few seconds to make sure everyone recognizes each other..

in stickmount, click the mount and see that new directory has been made..then open to it..

when you are done, close your working folder..

dismount from stickmount..

disconnect cables power off hub...

my setup was quite flaky until i stumbled across this..

if your settings arent right, it will lead to improper dismount and it will not behave right the next time you want to mount.

Also If your sequence is wrong,, it won't work

good luck..

Last edited by amkaos; 11/26/2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11/27/2012, 09:46 AM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
i am just going to assume you are on android..

download stickmount 1.5 by chainfire.. not 2.0.. find in apps store..

reboot in recovery and clear cache then delvik..

reboot to droid..

go to settings > all apps > disable both drm protected content storage and media storage
this will at the minimum stops errors when dismounting hub..
at best it stops conflicts that prevents your setup from running

open stickmount and wait a lil bit just to make sure its up and running

use this sequence previously outlined by wheel_nut..

plug in otg cable..
plug in all periperals into hub.

power on hub.
plug into hub the mini usb into hubs port.

connect usb cable male end from hub into female usb on otg cable

wait few seconds to make sure everyone recognizes each other..

in stickmount, click the mount and see that new directory has been made..then open to it..

when you are done, close your working folder..

dismount from stickmount..

disconnect cables power off hub...

my setup was quite flaky until i stumbled across this..

if your settings arent right, it will lead to improper dismount and it will not behave right the next time you want to mount.

Also If your sequence is wrong,, it won't work

good luck..
'Amkaos' - have you please got a link to V1.5?
Can only seem to find V2.0 in 'Play Store'
Thanks!
Old 11/27/2012, 11:14 AM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
'Amkaos' - have you please got a link to V1.5?
Can only seem to find V2.0 in 'Play Store'
Thanks!
V1.5
Download Stick Mount zip

mirror

StickMount_v1.5.zip download Extabit.com - file hosting

i got V1.5 from play store.. looks like it h/b updated..

if you do get errors , you will probly have to boot into rec , clear cache , clear dalvik..and try sequence again..

for example: if i did things wrong, the hub would turn off itself and not power back on..
my tablet setup is fine as long as i follow everything exact.

Last edited by amkaos; 11/27/2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11/28/2012, 07:56 AM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
V1.5
Download Stick Mount zip

mirror

StickMount_v1.5.zip download Extabit.com - file hosting

i got V1.5 from play store.. looks like it h/b updated..

if you do get errors , you will probly have to boot into rec , clear cache , clear dalvik..and try sequence again..

for example: if i did things wrong, the hub would turn off itself and not power back on..
my tablet setup is fine as long as i follow everything exact.
Thanks.. eventually got that after battling through the Ads!
Actually V2.0 seems fine, with CM10 at least.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/28/2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12/12/2012, 04:55 PM   #176 (permalink)

i made a big yet embarressing discovery..

i somehow got cables mixed up and discovered that if i use the cable included w/ unit, i have -0- probs..and no annoying sequence to remr or blue screen ever..

im sure that wheelnut knows this and why..

i would like to know what is the diff...

if i dont have anything plugged into hub, unit wants to charge hptp...
Old 12/12/2012, 07:41 PM   #177 (permalink)

Amkaos, I have no idea what you are talking about. If it is your Android setup, perhaps Mutoidi is your man because I don't have Android on my TouchPad.

If webOS, please explain in more detail and I will try to help ...

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 12/13/2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12/13/2012, 07:32 AM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Amakos, I have no idea what you are talking about. If it is your Android setup, perhaps Mutoidi is your man because I don't have Android on my TouchPad.

If webOS, please explain in more detail and I will try to help ...
your original instructions say to use the cable that comes w/ unit.

if i do so, it will mount and dismount.predictably everytime and it doesnt matter which order i connect things or turn on app.

if i use a different usb cable then try to mount, the results can be flaky if i dont do connect all the cables and mounting app in specific order.. the unit might just shut off; hptp might get blue screen; the mounting app might not recognize the hub..and so forth..

the real question is :: is the included usb cable built a specific way.. have you connected a different usb cable between hub and hptp?

if this cable is different, can it be exploited for any other uses?

do i imagine things?

thanx
Old 12/13/2012, 10:28 AM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
your original instructions say to use the cable that comes w/ unit.

if i do so, it will mount and dismount.predictably everytime and it doesnt matter which order i connect things or turn on app.

if i use a different usb cable then try to mount, the results can be flaky if i dont do connect all the cables and mounting app in specific order.. the unit might just shut off; hptp might get blue screen; the mounting app might not recognize the hub..and so forth..

the real question is :: is the included usb cable built a specific way.. have you connected a different usb cable between hub and hptp?

if this cable is different, can it be exploited for any other uses?

do i imagine things?

thanx
I am assuming that we are still talking about the DTECH Solar Hub and the USB A to MINI-USB Cable that comes with it.

What is salient is that the Cable is a standard USB A to MiniUSB cable and NOT a MiniUSB OTG Cable.

Additionally, you will find that the cable that comes with the Hub is a Screened (Shielded) cable of reasonably good quality.

Having said that, I bought and use several shorter cables of identical construction to the original and they work correctly.

If there is a hazard with the multi-function MicroUSB socket on the TouchPad, it is that it MUST be pou into OTG mode BEFORE connecting a Powered Hub. Otherwise, the TouchPad can go into Charging mode and quickly drain the Battery in the Hub.

I hope this helps ...

Merry Christmas
Old 03/09/2013, 01:45 PM   #180 (permalink)

hola: no encuentro la forma de que usb flashmount otg, me muestre mi pre3, al correr la aplicación aparece el siguiente dialogo:
Connection Error
Service does not exist:
de.thg.usbflashmount.node.

He provado desinstalando, reiniciando / instalando, reiniciando y siempre igual. Me podrian guiar paso a paso? Gracias

hello: I did't find the way that flashmount usb otg, show me my pre3. When running the application the following dialog appears:
Connection Error
Service does not exist:
de.thg.usbflashmount.node.

I've proven uninstalling, rebooting / installing, restarting and always the same. I could guide step by step? Thanks
pjfercue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data transfer, keyboard, otg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0