Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Thanks for your thorough and prompt response - as always!

OK.. 'IN' is 'ON'.. that helps!

Yes, I assumed 'ON' was also 'non-charge' mode in all respects, so wondered whether Solar Charge also *didn't* apply in this mode also!
    I guess after 'Solar Charging' (in 'OFF/OUT' position) one then has to plug in a USB power source to 'see', by whether the Blue LED is 'on' or not, it is actually charged from Solar Input, or not!
    Yep.. upstream charging from the Dtech hub is suitably weird! But clearly the OTG cable we use puts s stop to it trying to charge the TP - even in the brightest of sunlight!

NO.. don't 'break' open your only Dtech! No screws, so it's probably the 'broken plastic retaining-tab' scenario!
    I might try and prise mine open to see what's going on in there anyway.. if I break it, I'll send it straight to you!

XX Commander, unlike Internalz Pro, doesn't seem to remember any 'preferences' set once it is closed.. is that its 'normal' behaviour?
    Also, Is the 'HotKey' Patch up in Preware? I didn't spot it there.

Thanks..
    Again!
    Later: The Dtech Hub opens easily.. nice *flexible* plastic for a change!

Pic attached.

Batt is a Li-Po 'GSP 063436' - which appears to relate to it's dimensions in mm.
    3.7V @ 700mAh.
    (Maybe also used in Mo. Phones so should be easily replaceable).
    Same voltage as the TP pack.. I wonder what voltage is available via the Audio jack? Hhmm!

The Dtech gives you absolutely no 'warning' when it's batts are about to go flat.. it's suddenly just 'gone'.. what would this do if one was in the middle of reading/writing files across when it cuts?

Anyway, there appears to be approx 35 x 40 x 7 mm available battery space withinin the Dtech.. maybe a higher quality/rate pack exists within those dimensions?

(Whilst its open I'm going to dim those horribly bright Blue LEDs with some tape too!)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/09/2012 at 06:46 PM.
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    XX Commander, unlike Internalz Pro, doesn't seem to remember any 'preferences' set once it is closed.. is that its 'normal' behaviour?
    Also, Is the 'HotKey' Patch up in Preware? I didn't spot it there.
    The Root mode Hotkey Patch is here Commander
    Evidently, the Preware Thought Police would object to it being put in Preware.
    Later: The Dtech Hub opens easily.. nice *flexible* plastic for a change!

Pic attached.

Batt is a 'GSP 063436' - 3.7V @ 700mAh.
    Maybe also used in Mo. Phones.
    (Same voltage as the TP?)

(Whilst its open I'm going to dim that horribly bright Blue LED with some tape too!)

Hmmmmm..... Is there a dc to dc converter to derive 5V from the 3.7V Battery? ..... or does it just put out 3.7V on the USB Ports? This may account for thg's experience with it being a bit flaky with large file writes.
    Edit: I just plugged my Power Supply Test rig into the Solar Hub and it reads ~5.1V so there must be a dc to dc converter in it.

3.7V is a standard single cell Li-Ion battery which is good. I expected to find a 4 cell NiMH stack! They must really have a surplus of rare earths in China.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 09/09/2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Thanks 'Commander'!

So 5.1 v at the USB port.. thats good. (Maybe the large-file-flakeyness was due to low current as the Dtech batt. discharged and/or directly to 'Internalz'?).

Trying to stop myself thinking more about utilizing that useless (wifi only) TP 'SIM' card slot (pic below) and fitting a USB port and cicuitry INternally instead.. hooking up to the switched TP power supply and USB data lines!

!!!!!!

So replacement Dtech batts are probably well within the grasp anyway.. click it open.. solder two wires.. done!

Rare Earths are obviously getting much rarer!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/09/2012 at 07:56 PM.
    PS.. Here's the 'available' space:
  6.    #146  
    While we are showing our Holiday snaps ,,,,,

The White adapters are my "Emergency chargers", modified by soldering the cut-off end of an OTG cable in parallel with the USB Socket of the charger. Note that only the Data lines and Gnd are connected or else the TouchPad goes into charging mode. This works very well with Pen Drives but for some reason, thg's App does not load SD Adapters though my otg script does. The Charger has a 3 position switch; Centre is OFF, Down is USB On and Up is Flashlight mode which illuminates the bright white LED beside the USB Socket.

The Black unit is a 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub with a single AA Cell "Emergency Charger" strapped to it and connected to the Power socket of the Hub. This works very well with a standard OTG Cable. The only deficiency is the lack of a switch to save the battery when not in use. ... but I may have an elegant solution to this.

Cost if parts for either unit is ~ 3 (UKP) or $5 (USD) .
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 09/10/2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Nice work!
    Is there a 'standard' cable colour-coding for USB hubs/cables/sockets etc?
    I like the 4 port Hub, good for moving stuff from drive to drive.

As mentioned elswhere, thg's App appears to load a USB-SD Card reader OK, if the card is inserted into the reader before the reader itself is then inserted into the hub and the hub turned on. I found a similar problem with WinXP actually!

Can you not fit a small switch?
    Be interested to hear if your elegant alternative solution works!
    Let me guess - Using the bridged lines in OTG USB cable/socket as a 'switch' then activated by inserting/removing the USB hub plug itself in or out of the socket - 'IN' being 'ON', yet again??

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the Dtech unit.. (though can't seem to get Internalz to show images in *full screen* in landscape mode, as implied! Any ideas? EDIT: Later.. Seems like 'full size' means you can see the entire uncropped picture, but not rendered in the full screen size).

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/11/2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    ..so the easiest way to do this is to use a USB A Male to USB A Male cable with one end plugged into one of the Hub Ports and the other plugged into a USB Power Supply such as the Barrel Charger. The +5V and Gnd pins of all of the Hub Ports are bussed together so the power will be distributed to all ports. DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A USB PORT ON A COMPUTER because you don't want to connect the Data Pins to a Computer.
    Yes.. this is good cable to have.. and a quick and easy way to power a 'non-mobile' bussed USB Hub for the TP anyway.
    I robbed a couple of USB A Male plugs from the sprig of phone charging adapter cables supplied with the Dtech unit and spliced a short lead together (which had no data cores present anyway - and so could presumably also be powered by a computer USB outlet?) and quickly set up an old 'Targus' USB2 x 4 Hub that I had lying around, using the OTG cable and suitable USB Mini to USB A Female and powering the hub via one of the four USB ports via the standard HP barrel charger as you suggested..

This left me 3 useable ports, all recognised by thg's App. (Pic).

~*~

I wonder whether a 9v 'PP3' package battery might actually be sufficient to convince a standard USB car charger circuit to produce the required 5V to then power and 'mobilise' such a 4-port hub arrangement - or even a couple of those small 12v 'remote control' batts could also make a 'neat' little mobile power-package as such?

Anyway.. all good fun!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/12/2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: More Holiday Snaps!
  9.    #149  
    Nice work!
    Is there a 'standard' cable colour-coding for USB hubs/cables/sockets etc?
    I like the 4 port Hub, good for moving stuff from drive to drive.
    Yes. Red is +5, Black is Gnd and Green and White are the Data lines
    As mentioned elswhere, thg's App appears to load a USB-SD Card reader OK, if the card is inserted into the reader before the reader itself is then inserted into the hub and the hub turned on. I found a similar problem with WinXP actually!
    Tried that .... doesn't work for my MicroSD adapters but strangely, they mount with my otg script.
    Can you not fit a small switch?
    Be interested to hear if your elegant alternative solution works!
    Let me guess - Using the bridged lines in OTG USB cable/socket as a 'switch' then activated by inserting/removing the USB hub plug itself in or out of the socket - 'IN' being 'ON', yet again??
    No. The switch needs to disconnect the battery inside the barrel of the Emergency Charger. I am awaiting delivery of some of those LED Torches which have a switch built into the tail.

Yes.. this is good cable to have.. and a quick and easy way to power a 'non-mobile' bussed USB Hub for the TP anyway.
    I robbed a couple of USB A Male plugs from the sprig of phone charging adapter cables supplied with the Dtech unit and spliced a short lead together (which had no data cores present anyway - and so could presumably also be powered by a computer USB outlet?) and quickly set up an old 'Targa' USB2 x 4 Hub that I had lying around, using the OTG cable and suitable USB Mini to USB A Female and powering the hub via one of the four USB ports via the standard HP barrel charger as you suggested..

This left me 3 useable ports, all recognised by thg's App. (Pic).
    I remember at the age of 5 yrs, being amazed at what I could do with a Torch Bulb, a couple of D Cells, a Mortons Toffee Tin and a few bits of pvc wire! .... kept me amused until I found a pair of Telefunken Headphones in my Dad's toy-box and built my first Crystal set ..... the rest is history!
    I wonder whether a 9v 'PP3' package battery might actually be sufficient to convince a standard USB car charger circuit to produce the required 5V to then power and 'mobilise' such a 4-port hub arrangement - or even a couple of those small 12v 'remote control' batts could also make a 'neat' little mobile power-package as such?
    Treat yourself to an Emergency Charger. .... about a Quid on fleabay..... and comes with an assortment of plugs and wires

Thanks for the good info here!

""No. The switch needs to disconnect the battery inside the barrel of the Emergency Charger. I am awaiting delivery of some of those LED Torches which have a switch built into the tail.""

Sorry.. I thought you were saying that two data lines were bridged IN the OTG cable.. in which case by cutting and taking say, the + battery lead straight from the battery in the barrel TO the USB outlet and then back via the other 'side' of the (data line) bridge to its original connecting point on the board.. so that this circuit is ONLY closed - the bridge is only in play, when the unit is actually plugged in/connected to the OTG cable? Otherwise it is always at 'off' - in the barrel. See the 'elegance' of that anyway?

Wow.. you built your first radio! What the hell was the Mortons tin for! I guess you'd already eaten them all!

I was 7 when I built my first (and only) electric motor.. from instructions in a 'Ladybird' book: "Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries'. Coming across a big horse-shoe magnet was what then inspired it. I was blown out when it actually worked!

OK then.. you win.. I'll check out the fleabay chargers!! WITH switch!

~~*~~

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/11/2012 at 03:30 PM.
  11.    #151  
    Thanks for the good info here!

""No. The switch needs to disconnect the battery inside the barrel of the Emergency Charger. I am awaiting delivery of some of those LED Torches which have a switch built into the tail.""

Sorry.. I thought you were saying that two data lines were bridged IN the OTG cable.. in which case by cutting and taking say, the + battery lead straight from the battery in the barrel TO the USB outlet and then back via the other 'side' of the (data line) bridge to its original connecting point on the board.. so that this circuit is ONLY closed - the bridge is only in play, when the unit is actually plugged in/connected to the OTG cable? Otherwise it is always at 'off' - in the barrel. See the 'elegance' of that anyway?

Wow.. you built your first radio! What the hell was the Mortons tin for! I guess you'd already eaten them all!

I was 7 when I built my first (and only) electric motor.. from instructions in a 'Ladybird' book: "Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries'. Coming across a big horse-shoe magnet was what then inspired it. I was blown out when it actually worked!

OK then.. you win.. I'll check out the fleabay chargers!! WITH switch!

~~*~~

Two AA Cells with a Switch -
    White AA Battery Emergency USB Charger Flashlight for Cellphone iPhone iPod | eBay

Single AA Cell without a Switch and lots of cables -
    Emergency AA Battery Mobile Phone Charger Nokia MOTO SE | eBay

p.s. If I told you what the Mortons Toffee tin was for, I'd have to tell you what you could make with a Cotton Bobbin, an Elastic Band, a ball of Wax and a Lollipop stick ....
    Thanks..
    I'll go for the double AA unit.. fit nicely under the Targus x 4 Hub,

You mean you made a 'TANK' out of the Mortons tin? !!!!

~~*~~

1) A DTech Solar powered USB Hub eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2) A MicroUSB OTG Cable eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

a) Simply plug the Thumb Drive into one of the four ports on the Hub

b) Plug the Hub into the OTG Cable using the MiniUSB Cable provided

c) Switch on the Hub

d) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad MicroUSB Port
    i am revisiting this thread.. i cannot find my posts in here.

1) i am not clear why the original usb/micro usb wont work... example:: the daily use HP cable..
    or why just any such cable wont work here..sorry if this was already answered.

2) i am unclear why the existing micro usb cant be powered from inside case so we could just use usb/ micro usb adapter
    for flash drives, KS's , mouse etc.. or hubs whether powered or non powered.. i do like the idea of the original battery/ solar hub..

3) also,, i have seen that someone opened and installed selfpowered micro in sim slot..
    im not real sure i follow this.. still seems that a hub is still needed..
    if i used the self powered hub, there is still the same external footprint..
    you mentioned that you may give this a crack,,

i would look forward to updates...

4) unless i missed it, i dont see that there is anything here to host a hub and charge HPTP at the same time..
    or to charge alone from AA batteries..

xda says that charging HPTP from batteries is impossible even tho the touchstone will do it..

thanx for your replies
    Last edited by amkaos; 10/18/2012 at 12:18 PM.
    I picked up a handful of $0.50c OTG cables on a special somewhere, can't wait to get home and figure something out to do with them I'm envisioning actually wiring a battery pack to the cable itself, just for grins.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
    i am revisiting this thread.. i cannot find my posts in here.
    That's because your posts were in this thread Functional USB Host on Touchpad
    1) i am not clear why the original usb/micro usb wont work... example:: the daily use HP cable..
    or why just any such cable wont work here..sorry if this was already answered.
    The standard MicroUSB Cable is NOT an OTG Cable
    2) i am unclear why the existing micro usb cant be powered from inside case so we could just use usb/ micro usb adapter
    for flash drives, KS's , mouse etc.. or hubs whether powered or non powered.. i do like the idea of the original battery/ solar hub..
    The TPad is powered by a 3.6V Battery and there is NO 5V source inside the case

3) also,, i have seen that someone opened and installed selfpowered micro in sim slot..
    im not real sure i follow this.. still seems that a hub is still needed..
    if i used the self powered hub, there is still the same external footprint..
    you mentioned that you may give this a crack,,

i would look forward to updates...
    Wasn't me!
    4) unless i missed it, i dont see that there is anything here to host a hub and charge HPTP at the same time..
    or to charge alone from AA batteries..

xda says that charging HPTP from batteries is impossible even tho the touchstone will do it..

thanx for your replies
    The TouchPad MicroUSB port can operate either in Charging/ Slave mode OR OTG Mode but not both at the same time.
    thanx for your reply wheel_nut in post #154..

this is the thread i was speaking of

Powered OTG adapter for HP touchpad - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

and this is how / where got his 5v step up :

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8290

i guess i was wrong that you were thinking about opening your case and doing this but i showed links in case you ever did think about it..

there is still one thing .. can we use batteries to charge HPTP?

thanx
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by amkaos View Post

there is still one thing .. can we use batteries to charge HPTP?

thanx
    You are in the wrong thread for that. See either Bockscar's Car Charger thread or BGrosse's thread.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/19/2012 at 12:01 PM.
    I received my OTG adapter from Tmart, and it doesn't seem to go all the way into the TP. Is it possible there are different size micro USB plugs and I got the wrong one?
  19.    #159  
    Is it a MicroUSB or a MiniUSB connector that you have. The two are aof similar size but very different shape.

Also, check that the body of the plug is not fouling the Case if you are using one.

Whatever you do, DO NOT force it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I received my OTG adapter from Tmart, and it doesn't seem to go all the way into the TP. Is it possible there are different size micro USB plugs and I got the wrong one?
    If it is a micro - not a mini - then there should only be one size.. but I have also found that different manufacturers seem to use slightly different tolerences on the 'click' mechanism that is supposedly built into the micro design to hold it into the socket.
    I had one micro USB cable that I had to initially be really 'firm' with, in order to get it to seat correctly and fully into the TP micro USB socket. After a few uses it became 'looser' and easier to use.

:-)
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast