Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Thanks, WN. From seeing your previous notes, I do have one of the solar hubs on order, just in case. I may try to go ahead with the software setup this weekend if I can find the time/help to do do it & see what happens with what I have so far...will post back .
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    I am starting this thread because we seem to have found an ideal solution to the 25 page discussion thread running here:
    Functional USB Host on Touchpad

The solution was first suggested by AstroTep in post #456 in that thread and references a previous post which I have not managed to find.

The solution requires:

1) A DTech Solar powered USB Hub eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2) A MicroUSB OTG Cable eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

a) Simply plug the Thumb Drive into one of the four ports on the Hub

b) Plug the Hub into the OTG Cable using the MiniUSB Cable provided

c) Switch on the Hub

d) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad MicroUSB Port

e) Now the “Soft” part:

BEFORE YOU START, ENSURE THAT YOUR INTERNALZ PRO TEXT EDITOR PREFERENCES HAVE NEWLINE FORMAT SET TO LINUX.

...... i. Using Internalz Pro, create a new directory in /media/internal called usb. Set Internalz Pro Preferences to show Hidden Files.

...... ii. From Preware, install Xecutah. This will automatically install Xserver and Xterm

...... iii. webOS does not automatically mount drives when seen on an otg cable. So:

...... iv. Open Xecutah/ Xterm and type: mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    ...... Then type: ls /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

...... v. Then fire up internalz pro and go to settings and click on show hidden files and apply that.

...... vi. You should now be able to see the Thumb Drive Files under the /media/internal/usb Directory

CAVEAT! Be sure to use Xecutah/XServer/XTerm to "umount /dev/sda1" when you are done with a drive. (umount is the unmount command)

OR, IF YOU WANT TO USE MY otg SCRIPT, INSTEAD OF INSTRUCTION e) then:

NOTE: I have replaced the mountusb and dismountusb scripts with a single Script called otg incorporating the following additional functions:

* Automatically detect up to four attached OTG Devices on the Solar Hub
    * Automatically Mount all detected OTG devices
    * Automatically create Folders in /media/internal/ to load each detected OTG device into
    * The option of loading either FAT or NTFS Drives
    * Unmount ALL previously attached OTG Drives and remove the Folders created in /media/internal/

Download the otg.txt file, DO NOT try to edit it using a Windows Text Editor.

RENAME otg DROPPING THE .txt Extension and place it in your /usr/bin/ directory.

Make sure that you have Internalz Pro (with Preferences set to show Hidden Files), Xecutah, Xserver and Xterm installed from Preware; also, ENSURE THAT YOUR INTERNALZ PRO TEXT EDITOR PREFERENCES HAVE NEWLINE FORMAT SET TO LINUX.

Open an Xterm window;

chmod a+x /usr/bin/otg

otg will now be executable from Xecutah/Xterm.

To get usage syntax help, type:

otg --help

- or -

otg h

The Help Text is below:
    This is a program to mount USB OTG Drives on the HP TouchPad
    otg with no argument defaults to mount FAT Drives

Options:

-h or --help Display this help message and exit.
    -u Unmount all already mounted Drives
    -n Mount NTFS Devices using a program called ntfs-3g
    You can download it at:
    [HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS
    See attachment to message #1

e.g. If no arguments are specified, Program defaults to FAT File System and seeks and loads:
    Device sda1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otga
    Device sdb1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgb
    Device sdc1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgc
    Device sdd1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgd
    Will any OTG do? I bought one...I believe the Script was my problem. I bought a 8 port USB Powered HUB, the Ycable and the OTG and still can't anything to work. It seems all the Youtube Posts forget to mention the script....
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Cathammer,

Whereas your Y Cable and Card Reader setup "should" work, many of us have found that it can be temperamental because of the USB 2.0 implementation on the TouchPad.

As stated in this thread, the Solar Hub and OTG cable seems to work reliably and is very easy to use if you get my otg script program. It is even easier if you get Commander from Preware and implement its "Hotkey" startup function as described oin my Post #94 in this thread. I use this setup to copy Video and .jpg files to and from the TouchPad to MicroSD cards in miniature USB Adapters.

I am on vacation from tomorrow so will only look in here occasionally but if you read my posts in this thread, all of the information you need is there.

Barlala,

Only in your dreams. ;D Sorry to be flippant but I am bewildered at Apple's persistence in preventing the user from doing anything not prescribed by Apple. Whereas I love the design and integration within the iPad, and the usability of what Apple lets you do with it, I will never buy one until they free it from the proprietary interfaces and software locks.
    Silly Question why is that solar hub so special? Why can't I use just any USB Hub?
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_wardy View Post
    Just thought I'd post my experience for the record.
    I've successfully manged to mount my SD Card reader and USB pen dive with the following configs.

1. USB Hub with Y Cable and power monkey.
    Data (Female) - Y cable into USB Hub.
    Data (Male) = Y Cable into OTG Adapter into touchpad
    Power (Male) - connect to Power Monkey
    WEBOS - Mounts SD reader and PenDrive using mount command. Still to try Wheel_nuts scripts (Wife has been Ill and I've been baby sitting)
    CM7 - Auto Mounts Pendrive and SD Reader.

2. Y Cable and Power Monkey.
    Data (Felmale) - Y Cable into Device (Pendrive)
    Data (Male) - Y Cable into OTG Adapter into touchpad
    Power (Male) - connect to Power Monkey
    Mouning works as per 1, but could not get the SD reader to be recognised.

This is a few notes as per my experience, I don't want to start a debate between Android and WebOS, I use both equal amounts, this is just my experience.
    - For WebOS it would be good to get Auto mount. Can this be patched or an app built.
    - What are the consequences of not Unmounting? Are they permanent are cleared after a reboot.
    - I have be experimenting with files from my Digital SLR so quite large 8-10mb. Android seems to handle these much better, no leg etc.
    - Android also seems to give better flexibility when viewing, deeper zoom and clearer image.

My main aim to view and copy images from the SLR to the TP. I'm going to order one the solar hubs as it's then a few less things to cary in the bag.

So in summary I have a solution that works for me, still some more experimenting to do, but all good fun.
    So you didn't use the Solar Hub?
    As he stated he is using "USB hub" - No. Additionally he don't need to use the power monkey if he uses the solar USB hub as this is powered from itself (integrated battery).

As to my experience I use the solar USB battery hub from DTech and also other power sources together with several USB equipment (wireless mice, keyboards, USB hubs, USB pen drives, USB Harddisks, USB card readers, etc.). This is for testing purposes at the moment. Maybe I will later give a list of tested devices and setups and how they perform.

Just for your notice: I found one setup together with the DTech solar USB hub, which seems to be NOT working correctly: using the so called "Splodge Drive" from Digitus together with a SANDISK Ultra I microSDHC 32GB memory card (the red/gray ones). It is mounted correctly, I can access it, but copying larger files of several MBs it can happen that the card is removed, leaving the copied files corrupted on the card. First investigation seems to show up a weak power supply within the DTech solar USB hub, when it cames to current peaks while copying data. So the power breaks down a little bit and the card reader shuts down. Maybe the Ultra I microSDHC cards need more power - I didn't yet checked the specs of Ultra I standard. But with another carefully designed USB hub with several electrolytic caps for each port this did not happen yet (with the same file copied).

So my advice at the moment after all the testing is: use the DTech solar USB hub for devices with no big power drain (neither continous nor impulse drain). Then it really works fine. Otherwise one should use a separate power source with a Y cable.
    OK, I'm getting no success here. Tried the Y-cable with the Duracel pack, per my previous post/picture. Tried it with the TP wall charger as power source. Got in the solar hub & tried that. Tried with various card readers, thumb drives, etc. All I ever get is "failed: no such file or directory". I typed in the script, no cut & paste..have space after mount, & after sda1.

Any suggestions about what the problem might be, or what I should I try now? Could I have a bad OTG cable (only have the one to try)?
  7. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathammer View Post
    Any suggestions about what the problem might be, or what I should I try now? Could I have a bad OTG cable (only have the one to try)?
    may be, try an other one, they just cost a few dollars/Euros.

And you might try this:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...mount-otg.html

Just install it via Internalz Pro/Preware, until now it seems to work for the people ...
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    may be, try an other one, they just cost a few dollars/Euros.

And you might try this:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...mount-otg.html

Just install it via Internalz Pro/Preware, until now it seems to work for the people ...
    Thanks, I do have another one on order, just as a back-up, if nothing else.

Thanks for the link, but reading thru it, I'm not sure if I'm savvy enough in this field to follow all that without a lot of hand-holding, or a very specific step-by-step set of instructions (like Wheel_nut's outlines). I may try it, though.
  9. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathammer View Post
    Thanks for the link, but reading thru it, I'm not sure if I'm savvy enough in this field to follow all that without a lot of hand-holding, or a very specific step-by-step set of instructions
    it seems not to work right now?

So you might try out the mentioned app.

Just download the "PDF", rename it to zip (erase the ".pdf" I had to add, to be able to put the file in the forum), unzip the file and you get an IPK.

This IPK you can install with webOS Quickinstall or copy it via USB on your TouchPad, open in with Internalz Pro and install it via Preware.

No other "magics" necessary, the hardware-part is identical to the described above and the next version should go into the Preware Beta-feed, but it's not ready and I do not have an account for Preware yet.
    OK, here's the latest for me...might be of some help to others. I turned the whole thing over to my son-in-law, who's a tech manager & much more familiar with Linux, etc. I gave him my Y-cable setup as pictured in earlier post, plus the Dtech solar hub, TP wall power supply unit, etc. Apparently previous posters who noted how finicky the setup might be were spot on.

Here's his results:

Hey B***,
    I was able to get the USB device to work but only with H***'s card reader. The equipment listed below was used. Before I got this working, I tried both of your card readers. I also tried my card reader which did not work.

Y cable with the Female USB piece
    Duracell power unit
    H***'s USB reader (Ohm brand)
    Micro USB to USB 2.0 connector (my note: the OTG cable)

Procedure is slightly different than what was described in the WebOS Nation outlines:
    Start up TouchPad
    Plug in Y cable Female end to Ohm USB reader with card installed
    Plug in Duracell power to short side of the Y cable
    Plug in Micro USB to USB 2.0 connector to the stem of Y cable (like you had it)
    Plug in Micro USB connector to touchpad (Leave Duracell connector turned off)
    Start Internalz file manager
    Start up Xecutah
    Select Start Xterm
    Turn on Duracell power unit
    Type "ls /dev/sda1" and hit enter
    - This should list the contents of /dev/sda1
    Type "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb" (there is a space in between each section mount<space>/dev/sda1/<space>/media/internal/usb)
    Switch over to the internalz program and check your USB directory and you should be good to go.

H*** and I found one online and ordered it. It should be in by Thursday and I'll test it before we send it with you. If it doesn't work, you can borrow H***'s for the trip. I'll let you know on Thursday if it works.

So here's the basics of why I don't think the other card reader's work. I think there is active circuitry in H***'s card reader that lets it identify with it's host while the others are passive readers that rely on the system to identify them. There may also be some compatibility issues with Linux and the way it connects to the card reader. Either way, we found a solution so I should be able to get it back to you by this weekend. Have a great day tomorrow.

So, apparently the Y-cable set up will work, but might be highly dependent on what's plugged into it. Don't know yet how much he tried with the solar hub. I'll try to post back if he has anything new to add on that front
    Last edited by Cathammer; 06/25/2012 at 08:15 AM.
  11.    #131  
    I am just back from a month of vacationing and trying to pick up the developments in this thread.

If you are having difficulty with mounting drives using either the Solar Hub or the Y Cable, try this alternative order when connecting your hardware to the TouchPad:

a) Plug the Thumb Drive into one of the four ports on the Hub ( or the Female end of the Y Cable)

b) Switch on the Hub ( or connect your Power Source to the Y Cable.

c) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad MicroUSB Port

d) Plug the Hub into the OTG Cable using the MiniUSB Cable provided ( or the Y Cable into the OTG Cable)

I have found this to be more dependable when connecting the FIRST time after a period of non-use. Once connected successfully, it seems to connect again bu unplugging and re-plugging the OtG MicroUSB Plug.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks for this guide.

I am using the solar hub and otg cable and thg's app and have succesfully connected a coup,e usb stciks and my pre 2.

anyone connected anything else succesfully? Keyboards? Video game controllers?
    Keyboards work, mice work (at least under CM7/CM9)
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  14.    #134  
    I want to point you all to the OTG FlashMount App created by thg and now available on Preware.

This App automatically recognises an OTG Cable and automatically mounts any USB devices connected by either a Powered Hub or Powered Y Cable.

Needless to say, this is far cleverer and easier to use than my otg Script attached to this thread. I am adding an edit to the first post in this thread pointing viewers to thg's app and forum thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...mount-otg.html
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 07/31/2012 at 09:08 PM.
    TUFF Stough likes this.
    Hi,
    Battery at my DTech Solar powered USB Hub is dead. I've used it few times only. USB hub functin is OK. Could you suggest which Y cabble should I use to make it functional again with outside power bank (Amazon.com: Sony Media CP-ELS USB Portable Charger with 2,000 mAh Li-Ion Battery: Electronics) like described in http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ide-power.html thread?
    Best regards,
    Kreocny
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by krecony View Post
    Hi,
    Battery at my DTech Solar powered USB Hub is dead. I've used it few times only. USB hub functin is OK. Could you suggest which Y cabble should I use to make it functional again with outside power bank (Amazon.com: Sony Media CP-ELS USB Portable Charger with 2,000 mAh Li-Ion Battery: Electronics) like described in http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ide-power.html thread?
    Best regards,
    Kreocny
    You can charge the Solar Hub Battery by plugging it into any USB source with the switch in the off position(furthest away from the centre). The Blue and Red LEDs will light and the Blue one will go out when the Hub is fully charged.
    Thank you for reply. Yes, I know that i can chrge battery while connected to USB port. But after few hours of "charging" it supply power for few seconds only. I even have not enough time to start "otg" script and there is no blue light on hub (and no light on USB memory stick as well). I've tried it with some memory sticks - no success.
    So I'm looking for other option, I think don't want to try another Dtech product, but have no idea what kind of cabble to choose.
    Best regards,
    Krecony
  18.    #138  
    OK, It looks like the Battery is dead and this is not the first occurrence of this failure with the DTech Solar Hub!

Without going into all of the detail again, let me say that the TPad is much mor tolerant of (compatible with) Pen Drives and SD adapters if these are attached through a Hub rather than directly to a Y Cable.

Note that the TouchPad Port does NOT need to be powered. All you need to power is the Hub, so the easiest way to do this is to use a USB A Male to USB A Male cable with one end plugged into one of the Hub Ports and the other plugged into a USB Power Supply such as the Barrel Charger. The +5V and Gnd pins of all of the Hub Ports are bussed together so the power will be distributed to all ports. DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A USB PORT ON A COMPUTER because you don't want to connect the Data Pins to a Computer.

In the original thread, I have illustrated a simple USB Hub powered by anything from a USB Charger to an AA "Emergency" Phone charger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Dtech Solar Hub & OTG cable arrived recently and seem to function excellently in conjunction with the Touchpad 'USB Flash Mount OTG' App. installed correctly!

Thank You!

As so often in the translation of 'instructions' form Oriental languages into English however, there are some points with the Dtech Hub that remain unclear to me.. but I logically assume by deduction, that the unit is only capable of charging itself via it's Solar Panel, when the switch is turned to 'left', ie. nearest the centre? The instluctions do not mention 'on' or 'off' as such.. just 'left' and 'right'!
    So with 'Switch to 'right' (ie farthest from the centre) and with the unit disconnected from all other (charging) sources, it appears to be in 'Preserving environment' - where it will also, presumably, not charge via its Solar Panel?

These Instluctions also state that the battery will run the unit for about 2 hours and then take about 5 hours to recharge fully (SLOW!!).

Perhaps the unit is actually designed for ideally runing off a powered USB, with it's own (small) internal batteries simply supplying 'surge' power for x 4 High Speed (USB 2) hub demands?

Whether the batteries in some of these units are prone to failure or not, I would however suggest never allowing them to go totally flat anyway - as this could easily 'kill' them in a short time. These instluctions also say the unit should be recharged after it has been left in 'preserving' mode for a month or so.

As mine is still new, I am cycling the batteries few times times by letting it sit with four Flash Drives plugged in for an hour or so (when I also notice a slight warmth on the underside as the batts discharge) and then fully recharging it again. Hopefully this will bring the batteries up to thier fullest potential from new state anyway.

If the batteries prove to be unreliable.. perhaps there is a way we can 'hack' some higher quality/capacity replacements in there instead? Maybe another 'service' you could look into providing 'Wheel_nut'!! Looks like there'd be enough spare 'space' in the case anyjhow!

I fully see the advantages of the Dtech unit as being reliably 'Touchpad -compatible' with a wide range of USB add-ons.
    Wouldn't it be nice to tap on a drive in 'USB Flash Mount OTG' App.. and have it automatically open 'Internalz Pro' (with 'Home Folder' there already set @ '/media/internal/usb/')... but that is probably not a matter for this thread!!

Again.. BIG thanks to you guys for working this out.. it feels as if the Touchpad now at last has non-wifi communication abilities with (non-HP) external hardware, without having to lug a PC/Mac around with you in order to achieve it!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/09/2012 at 01:20 PM.
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    ......... but I logically assume by deduction, that the unit is only capable of charging itself via it's Solar Panel, when the switch is turned to 'left', ie. nearest the centre? The instluctions do not mention 'on' or 'off' as such.. just 'left' and 'right'!
    So with 'Switch to 'right' (ie farthest from the centre) and with the unit disconnected from all other (charging) sources, it appears to be in 'Preserving environment' - where it will also, presumably, not charge via its Solar Panel?
    For simplicity, I relate the OUTward position to OFF and the INward position to ON

In the OUT position, the Hub is un-powered i.e. OFF and in this position, I believe that it will charge from the Solar panel. In this position, if you plug the USB-Mini port into a USB source, the Red and Blue "Side-lights" will light and when the battery is fully charged, the Blue LED will go out.

In the IN position, the Hub is powered i.e. ON and this is the mode in which it works with the TouchPad and thg's excellent FlashMount OTG App. In this position, the Hub will NOT draw charge from any of the USB ports though whether it is charging from the Solar Panel is moot.
    These Instluctions also state that the battery will run the unit for about 2 hours and then take about 5 hours to recharge fully (SLOW!!).
    I can confirm that it takes about 5 hours to charge off USB but how do you tell when it is charging/ charged from the Solar Panel?
    Perhaps the unit is actually designed for ideally runing off a powered USB, with it's own (small) internal batteries simply supplying 'surge' power for x 4 High Speed (USB 2) hub demands?
    Most Hubs are powered either from the upstream port ... or ... their own PSU. This one is intended to charge an upstream connected 'phone from its Solar charged battery! Weird or what!
    Whether the batteries in some of these units are prone to failure or not, I would however suggest never allowing them to go totally flat anyway - as this could easily 'kill' them in a short time. These instluctions also say the unit should be recharged after it has been left in 'preserving' mode for a month or so.

As mine is still new, I am cycling the batteries few times times by letting it sit with four Flash Drives plugged in for an hour or so (when I also notice a slight warmth on the underside as the batts discharge) and then fully recharging it again. Hopefully this will bring the batteries up to thier fullest potential from new state anyway.
    All good ...
    If the batteries prove to be unreliable.. perhaps there is a way we can 'hack' some higher quality/capacity replacements in there instead? Maybe another 'service' you could look into providing 'Wheel_nut'!! Looks like there'd be enough spare 'space' in the case anyjhow!
    I only have one and it ain't broke so I am not going to break it open just yet. If somebody wants to donate a broken one, I will look into the feasibility of replacing the battery with something more reliable,
    I fully see the advantages of the Dtech unit as being reliably 'Touchpad -compatible' with a wide range of USB add-ons.
    Wouldn't it be nice to tap on a drive in 'USB Flash Mount OTG' App.. and have it automatically open 'Internalz Pro' (with 'Home Folder' there already set @ '/media/internal/usb/')... but that is probably not a matter for this thread!!
    Try using xx Commander (with the HotKey Patch installed) instead of Internalz Pro. It is an amazing File Manager and does what you want though you have to start it by double-clicking the Home button.
    Again.. BIG thanks to you guys for working this out.. it feels as if the Touchpad now at last has non-wifi communication abilities with (non-HP) external hardware, without having to lug a PC/Mac around with you in order to achieve it!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast