webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
Like Tree18Likes

Old 05/27/2012, 11:51 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder1958 View Post
To add to my post above, when I type in the chmod line according to the provided instructions, this is what comes up:

-sh: otg: not found

When executing the command, it appears I am in the /var/home/root# directory. Do I need to be in the usr/bin directory before executing the command? I tried that, but it still didn't work.

Thanks again.

Mark
To answer your second question first, XTERM is in the correct directory.

Your problem is that the otg script file is NOT in Linux format, - probably because you have opened it and saved it without setting the Internalz Pro Text Editor preferences to save files in LINUX Format. (the default is Windows!)

Make sure that you have Internalz Pro (with Preferences set to show Hidden Files), Xecutah, Xserver and Xterm installed from Preware; also, ENSURE THAT YOUR INTERNALZ PRO TEXT EDITOR PREFERENCES HAVE NEWLINE FORMAT SET TO LINUX.

Now OPEN the otg file using the Internalz Pro Text Editor and then SAVE and CLOSE it.

Open an Xterm window;

chmod a+x /usr/bin/otg

otg will now be executable from Xecutah/Xterm.

Once you have otg working, try using Commander as described in my post #94. It is an amazing File Manager.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2012, 02:50 PM   #102 (permalink)

wheel nut,

thanks. I followed your instructions (as I did the past several times) but still no go. I never opened up the file in Windows( I emailed the file to myself as an attachment on the TP, opened with Internalz and removed the txt extension). and Internalz was already previously set for Linux. I put it in the /usr/bin directory

I input chmod a+x /usr/bin/otg. Return

but when I input otg, it still says:

-sh: otg: not found

I must be doing something very basic in the wronf direction

Mark
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2012, 03:02 PM   #103 (permalink)

wheel nut,

I failed to thank you in my last post for your help.

mark
Old 05/27/2012, 04:56 PM   #104 (permalink)

Mark, After checking that your Internalz Pro Text Editor settings are set to LINUX, did you OPEN the otg file, view it and then SAVE it?

Please do this again. you should see the content of the Script and the action of opening it and SAVING it will correct the lf format to Linux.

Please do this and report back.

p.s. You can add text to your post using the Edit button rather than make a new post. ... it saves space

p.p.s. PM me your email address and I will send you the otg file as an attachment ...

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/27/2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05/27/2012, 05:16 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Mark, After checking that your Internalz Pro Text Editor settings are set to LINUX, did you OPEN the otg file, view it and then SAVE it?

Please do this again. you should see the content of the Script and the action of opening it and SAVING it will correct the lf format to Linux.

Please do this and report back.

p.s. You can add text to your post using the Edit button rather than make a new post. ... it saves space

p.p.s. PM me your email address and I will send you the otg file as an attachment ...
wheel nut, I did as you suggested. I opened it (saw the script) and saved it. Same result.

I will pm you my email address.

Thanks

Mark
Old 05/27/2012, 07:50 PM   #106 (permalink)

OK, it appears that the act of re-naming a file on a Windows PC alters the file format!

I have replaced the otg.txt file attached to Post #1 with a fresh upload with the file re-named on the TouchPad.

It should now work correctly.
Old 05/27/2012, 09:32 PM   #107 (permalink)

I tried to connect through y-cable and otg. downloaded otg.txt file from the site. (renamed to otg)
there are 2 problems.
(1) my device does not show /dev/sda1 directory to use mount and umount command.
(2) I downloaded otg file from site and put in /usr/bin. Connected my usb drive at one end and other end to power cable (I don't have hub, so connected to power cable). TP shows charging. When I type otg command, it says, no (more) otg devices found.
Please help
(3) I also have CM7, please tell how to connect usb drives through CM7,

Raj
rksharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2012, 02:20 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksharma View Post
I tried to connect through y-cable and otg. downloaded otg.txt file from the site. (renamed to otg)
there are 2 problems.
(1) my device does not show /dev/sda1 directory to use mount and umount command.
(2) I downloaded otg file from site and put in /usr/bin. Connected my usb drive at one end and other end to power cable (I don't have hub, so connected to power cable). TP shows charging. When I type otg command, it says, no (more) otg devices found.
Please help
(3) I also have CM7, please tell how to connect usb drives through CM7,

Raj
Raj, If you are NOT using the DTech Solar Hub then you are in the wrong Forum.

You will find 27 pages of mixed experience with using the USB Y Cable method in this thread: Functional USB Host on Touchpad
Thanked By: rksharma
Old 06/04/2012, 11:42 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:

That's because you haven't set the WTerm "Misc Preferences" to "login -f root"

That's because you haven't set up Commander as described in my post #94

Have a good trip ....
I thought I did those things but no matter, xterm worked great. Used it on trip until one night when I forgot to turn off solar USB and the next 3 days were cloudy so I was out of luck recharging, luckily I had brought 2 extra SD cards so I crammed the files onto them. I say this as a cautionary note to those using the solar USB.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2012, 05:53 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
I thought I did those things but no matter, xterm worked great. Used it on trip until one night when I forgot to turn off solar USB and the next 3 days were cloudy so I was out of luck recharging, luckily I had brought 2 extra SD cards so I crammed the files onto them. I say this as a cautionary note to those using the solar USB.
You can re-charge the Solar Hub very quickly by plugging the USB Cable into the TouchPad Charger (or Car Charger) for about an hour with the Hub SWITCHED OFF. The Red and Blue LEDs indicate charging and when the Blue LED goes out, it is fully charged.

Hope the 3 cloudy days didn't spoil your holiday
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 06/08/2012, 02:39 PM   #111 (permalink)

Sorry if this has already been noted and I missed it, but for those who only want to be able to add a card reader, this:
USB All IN 1 SDHC MS M2 TF Micro SD Memory Card Reader | eBay
might be a fairly elegant part of the hardware solution.

Power into one end, OTG to TouchPad out the other. No Y-cables, dangling readers, etc...roll up the whole thing into one smooth loop. Should work?
Cathammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2012, 05:44 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathammer View Post
Sorry if this has already been noted and I missed it, but for those who only want to be able to add a card reader, this:
USB All IN 1 SDHC MS M2 TF Micro SD Memory Card Reader | eBay
might be a fairly elegant part of the hardware solution.

" Power into one end, OTG to TouchPad out the other. No Y-cables, dangling readers, etc...roll up the whole thing into one smooth loop. Should work? "
I looked at the item om ebay and I do not see how it can be connected to TP and also to the power?

Can you explain more?

Thanks.
jhussain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2012, 06:03 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhussain1 View Post
I looked at the item om ebay and I do not see how it can be connected to TP and also to the power?

Can you explain more?

Thanks.
Quote:
The solution requires:

1) A DTech Solar powered USB Hub eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2) A MicroUSB OTG Cable eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

a) Simply plug the Thumb Drive into one of the four ports on the Hub

b) Plug the Hub into the OTG Cable using the MiniUSB Cable provided

c) Switch on the Hub

d) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad MicroUSB Port
The item from eBay plugs into the Hub indicated above. Then you will need to set it up following the directions in Post #1, or alternatively I believe there is an App in the Catalog that will do all of that for you.
Old 06/08/2012, 11:07 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhussain1 View Post

Can you explain more?

Thanks.
Never mind, you're right ...I think I misidentified the female port on the end as a USB-A. Closer inspection, it appears that it's for Micro/M2. Oh well......
Old 06/09/2012, 01:16 AM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
The item from eBay plugs into the Hub indicated above. Then you will need to set it up following the directions in Post #1, or alternatively I believe there is an App in the Catalog that will do all of that for you.
I have used this setup and it works fine. I was looking for a little sampler solution.
jhussain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 03:00 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
You can re-charge the Solar Hub very quickly by plugging the USB Cable into the TouchPad Charger (or Car Charger) for about an hour with the Hub SWITCHED OFF. The Red and Blue LEDs indicate charging and when the Blue LED goes out, it is fully charged.

Hope the 3 cloudy days didn't spoil your holiday
wow, thanks. I've got it plugged into the laptop now to recharge. Next trip in about 2 weeks so really appreciate the help.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 06:28 PM   #117 (permalink)

I'm a new TP owner...got a refurb a couple of weeks ago in a Woot deal & haven't really done anything to it except load a couple of free apps from the catalog. Have mainly been trying to decipher the info on setting up to use the USB port to read SD cards so I could backup pictures to the web (Box, maybe?) while on vacation. I think I've got the hardware right: However, I'm not programming savvy at all, so I tried to order the $0.99 Preware Homebrew Documentation app to try to get a better understanding of what's involved.

The order process wouldn't let me get deep enough in to register a credit card to buy the app, so I finally had to do online chat with HP. Among other things, the rep asked me what app I was after, & when I said the word "preware" he got kind of in a tizzy & advised me not to load any preware as it could interfere with the TP's operation. After I told him I was just getting the documentation (from their catalog, after all) & didn't plan on anything too edgy, he backed off a bit, just warning that if anything damaged the hardware, I wouldn't have warranty coverage.

Which is all the long way around to asking: Are any of the software steps outlined in the instructions provided by you experts (like Wheel_nut's list) likely to do any irreversible damage if properly executed? I have a couple of my own experts I can trust to do that part properly for me, but I didn't want to take too much of a risk of bricking the thing since I leave the country in about 3 weeks. Maybe I should mention that the TP has already randomly set itself into needing a hard reboot (power/home) a couple of times in order to wake it up.

What do you think?
Thanks!

Last edited by Cathammer; 06/13/2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06/13/2012, 06:53 PM   #118 (permalink)

Welcome to webOS Nation

First things ( as I read them) first, did you manage to get access to paid apps in the Catalog? FYI you enter your credit card information (once you open up the App Catalog), in the top-left menu under Preferences & Accounts

Someone else will have to help you with your setup, I haven't really looked into them much.

You should be safe installing Preware. I, and many, many others have installed it countless times without any trouble. In answer to your question, no....if you follow the directions as outlined in several guides, you will not suffer from irreversible damage.

Needing a hard reset to wake up doesn't sound like normal behavior either. You may need to reflash your TouchPad with webOS Doctor.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

and instructions below:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
Old 06/13/2012, 07:30 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Welcome to webOS Nation

First things ( as I read them) first, did you manage to get access to paid apps in the Catalog? FYI you enter your credit card information (once you open up the App Catalog), in the top-left menu under Preferences & Accounts

Someone else will have to help you with your setup, I haven't really looked into them much.

You should be safe installing Preware. I, and many, many others have installed it countless times without any trouble. In answer to your question, no....if you follow the directions as outlined in several guides, you will not suffer from irreversible damage.

Needing a hard reset to wake up doesn't sound like normal behavior either. You may need to reflash your TouchPad with webOS Doctor.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

and instructions below:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
Thanks,
I DID finally get all the way through the process to add a credit card & purchase the app, although I'm not sure if it's anything HP did. Initially, I kept getting a "try again later" error at some point partway through, whether starting from the menu, as you noted, or a prompt when clicking "purchase" for the app. Might have had something to do with using my android phone as the wifi hotspot. Had a good signal, but still might have been weaker than a normal wifi source & been "timing-out" too easily.

The rep did give me a link to WebOS Doctor...I'll study up on it some more. From what little I've read, won't that make you lose the apps you already have & have to reset a bunch of other stuff, or some such nonsense?

Oh, and I MAY have had my cardreader set up plugged in (with OTG cable) when the "deep sleep" happened.

Last edited by Cathammer; 06/13/2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06/15/2012, 04:24 AM   #120 (permalink)

Cathammer,

Whereas your Y Cable and Card Reader setup "should" work, many of us have found that it can be temperamental because of the USB 2.0 implementation on the TouchPad.

As stated in this thread, the Solar Hub and OTG cable seems to work reliably and is very easy to use if you get my otg script program. It is even easier if you get Commander from Preware and implement its "Hotkey" startup function as described oin my Post #94 in this thread. I use this setup to copy Video and .jpg files to and from the TouchPad to MicroSD cards in miniature USB Adapters.

I am on vacation from tomorrow so will only look in here occasionally but if you read my posts in this thread, all of the information you need is there.

Barlala,

Only in your dreams. ;D Sorry to be flippant but I am bewildered at Apple's persistence in preventing the user from doing anything not prescribed by Apple. Whereas I love the design and integration within the iPad, and the usability of what Apple lets you do with it, I will never buy one until they free it from the proprietary interfaces and software locks.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 06/15/2012 at 04:30 AM.
Thanked By: Cathammer

Tags
data transfer, keyboard, otg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0