webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
Like Tree18Likes

Old 03/20/2012, 11:30 AM   #81 (permalink)

would like to know also if it works in cm9?? and how long does the solar charger runs? (it has a built-in battery that you can charge by usb too right??).. i will soon buy this solar hub .. seems the perfect portable solution to have extended storage if it can run for a long time
yeahman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 04:21 PM   #82 (permalink)

Yes this setup works in CM9, It even auto mounts.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 10:54 PM   #83 (permalink)

Hi all,

I just received my solar powered USB hub. I am waiting for my OTG USB cable to come in the mail but wanted to test out the charging capabilities of the USB hub. I charged it for five hours with the switch on the "right" position until the light in the 2nd position turned off. However, I have connected many different devices: iPod, cell phone, camera, to the hub and none have been charged off of it. Only the cell phone recognizes that it's being plugged into something and responds.

Has anyone had success here? Do I have a faulty USB hub? I don't quite get what the "left switch" and "right switch" are either, because the instructions don't make it seem like it's off and on.

Thanks for your help!
Christie
obscuredolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2012, 11:10 AM   #84 (permalink)

The battery in the Solar Hub is only capable of charging a very basic Phone and certainly won't charge a TouchPad or Pre or iPhone.

The hub is very capable of powering the TouchPad Usb Micro B interface and that is the sole reason for recommending it here.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: obscuredolfin
Old 03/26/2012, 07:26 PM   #85 (permalink)

Wheel_nut,

Got it, thanks! I received my OTG cable in the mail today and am trying to mount my USB stick (and hopefully my DSLR next). I have tried both the manual way and the script. I did try using the solar USB hub on my computer with the same USB drive and it works on my computer.

When I use /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb I get:
No such device or address

When I use the chmod +x /var/usr/bin/mountusb in Xterm, it takes the command but doesn't give a response. Then when I use the mountusb command it says, "--sh: mountusb: not found"

One thing is that I did move the mountusb and dismountusb files to the /var/usr/bin folder because I wasn't sure how to put it in the main /usr/bin folder, but I modified the chmod +x command accordingly. Does that make a difference? And if so, how do I move files to the main /usr/bin folder, I didn't see a way to do that in Internalz Pro, it just gave me the options: "/media/cryptofs/apps" "/media/internal" and "/var"

What can I try next?? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!!

Cheers,
Christie
obscuredolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 01:40 PM   #86 (permalink)

ok I've downloaded wheelnnuts scripts and they opened in internalz pro and saved then without the txt in internalz pro in usr/bin and followed the directions and keep getting error messages
are there any easier direction please

I've got my solar hub and when I type the following -
open Xecutah/ Xterm and type: mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
...... Then type: ls /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

I get and error saying not found.

what can I do from here

I did make a usb folder in internalz pro in media/internal/usb

Last edited by nadmaj; 04/17/2012 at 10:09 AM.
nadmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2012, 12:01 PM   #87 (permalink)

Obscuredolfin and Nadmaj,

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

Try the following steps:

BEFORE YOU START, ENSURE THAT YOUR INTERNALZ PRO TEXT EDITOR PREFERENCES HAVE NEWLINE FORMAT SET TO LINUX.

a) Download the Scripts and copy them into your /usr/bin/ folder
b) Using the Internalz Pro Info Panel and Edit the Filename to delete the .txt suffix if present; then save
c) Using Internalz Pro, OPEN the script File and check that it is readable and structured. Then SAVE the file
d) Open an XTERM window and chmod a+x /usr/bin/mountusb and chmod a+x /usr/bin/dismountusb
e) In the XTERM window type mountusb and enter

This should now work.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/23/2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05/12/2012, 12:21 PM   #88 (permalink)

I have written a new script named OTG to perform the functions of Mountusb and Dismountusb to incorporate the following additional functions:

* Automatically detect up to four attached OTG Devices on the Solar Hub
* Automatically Mount all detected OTG devices
* Automatically create Folders in /media/internal/ to load each detected OTG device into
* The option of loading either FAT or NTFS Drives
* Unmount ALL previously attached OTG Drives and remove the Folders created in /media/internal/

The Help Text is below:
This is a program to mount USB OTG Drives on the HP TouchPad
otg with no argument defaults to mount FAT Drives

Options:

-h or --help Display this help message and exit.
-u Unmount all already mounted Drives
-n Mount NTFS Devices using a program called ntfs-3g
You can download it at:
[HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS
See attachment to message #1

e.g. If no arguments are specified, Program defaults to FAT File System and seeks and loads:
Device sda1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otga
Device sdb1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgb
Device sdc1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgc
Device sdd1 and Destination Directory /media/internal/otgd

I have edited the FIRST post in this thread to describe the new otg script and attached the downloadable file otg.txt

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/22/2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: otg script now attached to FIRST post in this thread.
Liked by noseph likes this.
Thanked By: bluenote
Old 05/15/2012, 07:31 AM   #89 (permalink)

I have found that I can ececute my "otg" Shell Script from the Just Type command line!

Here is what you need to do:

1) Install WTerm from Preware; Run WTerm and from the WTERM Setup Panel, enter a Password for Root.

2) From the Just Type Preferences menu, Scroll down the main panel and check the tick-box for "Execute in Terminal"

2.1) Set WTerm to open as Root; go to Preferences/ Misc and change the DEFAULT EXEC COMMAND to "login -f root"

3) Close WTerm

You are now set up to execute Shell Scripts from the Just Type line.

In the Just Type line, type otg; scroll down the available options to the bottom and select "more" then "Execute in Terminal"

otg runs in a WTerm window!

Beat that - IOS and Android!

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/21/2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added step 2.1)
Liked by noseph likes this.
Old 05/15/2012, 10:07 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
I have found that I can ececute my "otg" Shell Script from the Just Type command line!

Here is what you need to do:

1) Install WTerm from Preware; Run WTerm and from the WTERM Setup Panel, enter a Password for Root.

2) From the Just Type Preferences menu, Scroll down the main panel and check the tick-box for "Execute in Terminal"

3) Close WTerm

You are now set up to execute Shell Scripts from the Just Type line.

In the Just Type line, type otg; scroll down the available options to the bottom and select "more" then "Execute in Terminal"

otg runs in a WTerm window!

Beat that - IOS and Android!

Holy cow. That is amazing. Well, I will need to copy from an SD card over Memorial day week after not having needed this since end of last Sept. I will dust off my solar USB port and my OTG and see if I can set this up with your scripts.
May be back this week or next week with questions.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2012, 07:33 PM   #91 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I have written a new script named OTG to perform the functions of Mountusb and Dismountusb to incorporate the following additional functions:
may be some body is interested:

Mostly same functionality, but after installation there is no need to call any script, I just use udev-rules to recognize if you attach or remove one or several USB-sticks/harddrives and this will call the "mounting"-script doing all the work.

I also support the device-label as directory name, if the ntfs-3g driver is installed (should be in /bin/ntfs-3g) NTFS is mounted automaticly and if there was only read-access you just can pull out the devices and the script unmounts them and removes the directories.

Only if you wrote anything to a device you have to call an eject-script for unmounting, otherwise dataloss is possible!

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3326444
thg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2012, 07:03 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:

If you want to Beta Test, please PM me
pm'd you for the scripts. Am ready to beta test tonight ahead of my trip in 4 days. Set up wterm to execute from just type line as per your instructions.

one question also --when I rename and then drop scripts into touchpad from the macbook, are they supposed to have a period in front of the name or not?

Thanks.
Old 05/21/2012, 08:27 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
pm'd you for the scripts. Am ready to beta test tonight ahead of my trip in 4 days. Set up wterm to execute from just type line as per your instructions.

one question also --when I rename and then drop scripts into touchpad from the macbook, are they supposed to have a period in front of the name or not?

Thanks.
No, the filename should simply be "otg". Use Internalz Pro to copy it into the /usr/bin folder; then open it and SAVE it before exiting Internalz Pro. This corrects any Windows (or Mac) cr/lf errors that may have crept in.

There is one issue with executing the script from the Just Type line. Wterm preferences can be set to open in Root but this only seems to apply when WTerm is opened from its icon. When opened from the Just Type line or from Commander, it opens as non-Root and the Script fails

I have posted in the WTerm and Commander fora and await some help ....

otg works fine when run from XTerm or WTerm.

Edit: To set WTerm to open as Root, go to Preferences/ Misc and change the DEFAULT EXEC COMMAND to "login -f root"

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/21/2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added instruction for WTerm Root
Old 05/22/2012, 12:48 PM   #94 (permalink)

If the prospect of executing the otg scriot to mount and umount OTG drives from the Just Type Line excited you then this will blow your socks off!

This offers the consolidation of the functions I previously performed from Xecutah, XTerm and Internalz Pro from a single SPLIT SCREEN File Manager called Commander, developed and offered FREE on Preware by artxxork. All credit goes to Artxxork for this excellent App and for the support he provides here: Commander

Installation requires two steps:

NOTE: BEFORE YOU START, ENSURE THAT YOUR INTERNALZ PRO TEXT EDITOR PREFERENCES HAVE NEWLINE FORMAT SET TO LINUX.

1) Download and install Commander from Preware.

2) You now need to install a couple of changes to allow Commander ROOT access to be able to see the OTG Hidden files and also to use ROOT access to run the commands embedded in my otg script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
So v0.0.6 is public - here is simple how-to ENABLE ROOT (full file system access and unrestricted shell commands)

Part I - edit /etc/event.d/customization-install (remount / for rw first)
Add following lines before 'end script':

Code:
Quote:
if [ -x /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/xx.commander/bin/service -a -f /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail ]; then
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/xx.commander/bin/service hotkey &
fi
Part || - create file /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail

Code:
Quote:
touch /media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/nojail
Part III - restart device

After reboot you can launch Commander application using 'hotkey' - quickly press/release (physical) Home button twice. If you want temporarily disable hotkey - just rename or delete 'nojail' in appdata subdirectory and restart device.

NOTE: You can still launch application tapping icon in launcher - that way it will be launched in default (jailer) mode.
Now use the CMD function of Commander to run the OTG Script

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/23/2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05/22/2012, 06:53 PM   #95 (permalink)

Thanks. Got everything ready except did not install NTFS program [HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS as I read in the thread that it will break internalz pro.

Typing the entire mount and umount sequence twice a day next week would be certainly a pain and I would like to use the script but I am not sure of the ramifications of installing the NTFS program in order to do so.

Or could I install the NTFS program for this one week and then uninstall it? I need the USB functionality only intermittently.
Old 05/22/2012, 08:33 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. Got everything ready except did not install NTFS program [HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS as I read in the thread that it will break internalz pro.

Typing the entire mount and umount sequence twice a day next week would be certainly a pain and I would like to use the script but I am not sure of the ramifications of installing the NTFS program in order to do so.

Or could I install the NTFS program for this one week and then uninstall it? I need the USB functionality only intermittently.
You don't HAVE to install the NTFS program if you don't need to mount NTFS Drives. Just don't use the "otg n" option.

Just use "otg" to mount and "otg u" to unmount.

p.s. To use NTFS Drives, all you need to do is copy ntfs-3g to folder bin. All of the rest of the steps are handled by my otg script.

p.p.s. Copying the ntfs-3g file to the bin folder doesn't break Internalz Pro.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/22/2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05/22/2012, 09:00 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't HAVE to install the NTFS program if you don't need to mount NTFS Drives. Just don't use the "otg n" option.

Just use "otg" to mount and "otg u" to unmount.

p.s. To use NTFS Drives, all you need to do is copy ntfs-3g to folder bin. All of the rest of the steps are handled by my otg script.

p.p.s. Copying the ntfs-3g file to the bin folder doesn't break Internalz Pro.
Thanks!
works perfectly from xecutah/xterm.
typing otg into wTerm gives me permission denied, are you root.

typing otg into commander cmd line --says no usb devices found

I'm fine to use xecutah/xterm for next week.

Solution and scripts are great.
Old 05/23/2012, 06:19 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks!
works perfectly from xecutah/xterm.

Quote:
typing otg into wTerm gives me permission denied, are you root.
That's because you haven't set the WTerm "Misc Preferences" to "login -f root"
Quote:
typing otg into commander cmd line --says no usb devices found
That's because you haven't set up Commander as described in my post #94
Quote:
I'm fine to use xecutah/xterm for next week.

Solution and scripts are great.
Have a good trip ....
Old 05/26/2012, 09:32 AM   #99 (permalink)

Hi,

I have tried to get my Touchpad to work with the various OTG setups off/on for over a month. I have tried the scripts provided, set up Internalz Pro as suggested, etc. But can't get xterm to recognize the otg command. I must obviously be doing something wrong (I know nothing of Linux commands except what I am instructed to do in this thread)

I know my hardware works because I can access the thumb drive in CM9 perfectly. I use a TekFuel portable power pack to power the usb.

Is there a preference in xterm perhaps that I need to set that I am unaware of?

I have read the entire thread, going back to the original scripts, etc. And have never gotten it to work.

I appreciate any ideas/settings I may have missed that could help me.

Thanks.

Mark
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2012, 10:07 AM   #100 (permalink)

To add to my post above, when I type in the chmod line according to the provided instructions, this is what comes up:

-sh: otg: not found

When executing the command, it appears I am in the /var/home/root# directory. Do I need to be in the usr/bin directory before executing the command? I tried that, but it still didn't work.

Thanks again.

Mark
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data transfer, keyboard, otg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0