webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
Like Tree18Likes

Old 01/26/2012, 04:42 PM   #41 (permalink)

Still no luck. Re-downloaded both files on the TP, saved to usr/bin and selected info to rename without the .txt extension. Saved and opened xterm ran chmod +x /usr/bin/mountusb and the same for dismount.
Still get -sh: mountusb: not found
on the plus side, mounting 'manually' still works :-)
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 05:32 PM   #42 (permalink)

I probably can't see the wood for the trees .... but.... it seems the Shell is not finding the mountusb file in the "path". The /usr/bin/ folder is in the Path by default so;

Open Internalz Pro and look in the /usr/bin/ folder. Check that both mountusb and dismountusb are listed.

If yes, open the mountusb file. Check that the file is structured and readable. If so, check the permissions.

Has anybody else had this problem?
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 07:35 AM   #43 (permalink)

Wheel_nut - attached properties of the dismount file. The mount file is the same, but further down the list and takes too long to scroll! All looks pretty good to me, but then I don't know what I'm looking at and haven't played with any linux stuff for over a decade.
I have other screenies of xterm etc if that would help?
Attached Images
File Type: png internalz_2012-26-01_140041.png (56.9 KB, 33 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/27/2012, 09:08 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

This is a correct link:
Micro USB OTG Host Cable Samsung Galaxy SII S2 i9100 | eBay
There's always a way. Blocking links is SO 1990's

It's a shame the mount/umount commands can't be iconized (or even automated at some point in the future)...
copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 01:49 PM   #45 (permalink)

How difficult is it to write a "batch" file in linux?

When I was a boy I could write DOS batch files, and have them as a clickable icon on windows. I struggle to believe that it is much more difficult today.
wildefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 07:21 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildefalcon View Post
How difficult is it to write a "batch" file in linux?

When I was a boy I could write DOS batch files, and have them as a clickable icon on windows. I struggle to believe that it is much more difficult today.
Go on then! Show us how.....
Old 01/29/2012, 01:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
Still no luck. Re-downloaded both files on the TP, saved to usr/bin and selected info to rename without the .txt extension. Saved and opened xterm ran chmod +x /usr/bin/mountusb and the same for dismount.
Still get -sh: mountusb: not found
on the plus side, mounting 'manually' still works :-)
Read the note about the command mountusb not being found. The problem is the file is in dos format with contol-Ms on the end of every line. You need to run a con=mmand like dos2unix to clean them up. I did that and the file executes fine. I cannot get the options to work though. I put in the command line as shown below and hget an error. When I just type mountusb it works for the defaulst

TouchPad root # mountusb -s sda1 -d usb1
Invalid Device specified - Must be sda1 or sdb1 or sdc1 or sdd1
mountusb: Invalid Device specified - Must be sda1 or sdb1 or sdc1 or sdd1
Bye bye
TouchPad root # mountusb
mountusb command missing argument 1 (Sys. Device). Set to default sda1
mountusb command missing argument 2 (Dest. Dir.). Set to default usb1
Ready to create Destination Directory
Destination Directory /media/internal/usb1 already exists and will be used
Ready to mount Drive to Destination Directory
Mounting Device sda1 to Destination Directory usb1
Bye bye
winstonsbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: MikeN68
Old 01/29/2012, 02:17 PM   #48 (permalink)

Thanks WinstonsBrown. Having warned others NOT to fiddle with the files in Windows, I fell into the trap myself by renaming them in Windows before uploading them.

I have uploaded the files again and they should work now.

I'm amazed that nobody reported this earlier!

p.s. if you want to specify the Device and Directory, the command is e.g.:

mountusb sda1 usb1
Thanked By: MikeN68
Old 01/29/2012, 03:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

ha ha ha :-) glad it wasn't me this time. I'll give the new scripts a go later.
Thanks to you both.
Thanked By: mlinder1958
Old 01/29/2012, 05:45 PM   #50 (permalink)

I received my USB solar hub a few days ago. One USB stick works, an older one doesn't.
Unfortunately you can't open files in Internalz directly from the USB stick (e.g. acrobat or Word), I had to copy them first to another directory e.g. /media/internal/download. Is that 'normal' behaviour?

BTW @Wheelnut: Couldn't get your scripts to work. Get a message about invalid document type. Files do look good after rename and copy to usr/bin when opened with Internalz. Can someone confirm that they're working with the instructions provided? I'm a bit of Linux noob so it could be just me.

Last edited by renater; 01/29/2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typos
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 06:17 PM   #51 (permalink)

Renater, Yes, that's normal behaviour. Also, the TouchPad OTG implementation of USB 2.0 is flaky so it is fussy about USB Sticks.

See the posts immediately above yours. I have uploaded fresh copies of the Scripts so if you clear your cache and download again, they should work. Don't forget the chmod.
Old 01/29/2012, 08:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Renater, Yes, that's normal behaviour. Also, the TouchPad OTG implementation of USB 2.0 is flaky so it is fussy about USB Sticks.

See the posts immediately above yours. I have uploaded fresh copies of the Scripts so if you clear your cache and download again, they should work. Don't forget the chmod.
Ok, got the other USB stick to work after some fiddling, probably connector issue (I said it was old). So USB stick is more flaky than webOS USB implementation in this case ;-)
Downloaded the scripts again after I deleted the old ones and went to the whole procedure again and did the chmod for both files without errors.
Both scripts come back with the same message:
Line 1: Can't open !doctype: No such file
Line 1: html: not found
Line 2: can't open html: no such file
Line 3: syntax error: unexpected new line
and then it returns to command prompt.
It looks like a parsing problem.
This is what I did:
I downloaded the files on the TP in the default /media/internal/download
Renamed the files in Gemini as Internalz doesn't let you rename files in the same folder
Copied files with Internalz to /usr/bin
Applied chmod on both files
Tried to start your script which returned above error.
I'm not too fuzzy about it because either way you need to open xterm and enter commands, your scripts are somewhat more intuitive though.

As another user mentioned it should be possible to launch some scripts from the GUI/webOS, I did some digging. xterm seems to have the ability to execute a file when started. Not sure whether that also would start a script, but I guess it would. Other question is whether this functionality is ported to webOS. Let's assume for a sec.
According to xterm helpfile you can use the -e program [arguments]. If we can create another GUI line in Xecutah besides the 'Start xterm' which not only starts xterm but xterm with -e mountusb [arguments]. Not sure how easy/difficult it is but it's worth asking. Maybe we need some assistance from the Xecutah devs for this. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by renater; 01/29/2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Usual typos
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 04:56 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Go on then! Show us how.....
Sure, but what good would a DOS batch file be in weOS?

Anyway, I've ordered a solar hub, and I already have a OTG cable from my old Nokia, so, once I get the parts together I'll try and find a few hours and figure out how to do the script thing.

The xterm application conversation above looks interesting.
wildefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 05:25 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Renamed the files in Gemini as Internalz doesn't let you rename files in the same folder
Copied files with Internalz to /usr/bin
Internalz Pro DOES let you rename a file. If you go to the Info Panel, it will let you edit the Filename displayed at the top of the panel and then save it.

It seems that the files are getting corrupted in the download or renaming process. I will email them to you as attachments.
Old 01/30/2012, 07:27 AM   #55 (permalink)

Yippeee. It works with the new files. Thank you so much for the scripts Wheel_nut and winstonsbrown for spotting the deliberate mistake!
Old 01/30/2012, 12:10 PM   #56 (permalink)

I just posted this in the wTerm thread, but I found a nice way of easily launching a script using wTerm's Exhibition mode support Hopefully that will give some people ideas on things to try next...

One step import from USB device to touchpad - working!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 05:51 PM   #57 (permalink)

Hello!

I got this OTG cable as shown in below url.
Will that work for the HP touchpad?

New micro USB to USB Female Cable USB-OTG N900 | eBay

Thanks.
jhussain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2012, 09:09 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhussain1 View Post
Hello!

I got this OTG cable as shown in below url.
Will that work for the HP touchpad?

New micro USB to USB Female Cable USB-OTG N900 | eBay

Thanks.
Yes.
Old 02/02/2012, 04:12 PM   #59 (permalink)

Hello Wheel_nut!

I tried your setup of usb hub, charger and otg but it did not work. It keeps giving me error message of no such device.

I wonder if the OTG cable I have is the culprit because I noticed that most of the others whose system worked have a different cable similar to yours that what I mentioned.

What you think?

Thanks.
jhussain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 04:47 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhussain1 View Post
Hello Wheel_nut!

I tried your setup of usb hub, charger and otg but it did not work. It keeps giving me error message of no such device.

I wonder if the OTG cable I have is the culprit because I noticed that most of the others whose system worked have a different cable similar to yours that what I mentioned.

What you think?

Thanks.
People have reported here before now, that their OTG Cables did not have pins 4 & 5 bridged. So, it is possible that you have a faulty cable.

Why don't you buy another cable from the source I listed. They are only a Dollar each and not worth fussing with.

Tags
data transfer, keyboard, otg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0