webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
USB OTG Adapter for TouchPad - to connect Thumb Drive, Kbd etc..
Like Tree18Likes

Old 01/11/2012, 10:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urq20v View Post
I still have to figure out why it connected once and not again though.
Did you reboot your tp?
The "no such file or directory" message mostly appears if the flash drive is not recognized, i.e. not powered. Do you use a powered hub or y-cable?

p.s. use the scripts ( somewhere here in the thread )to mount / unmount, its a lot easier.
veerona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 11:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

urq20v, If you are using the Y Cable or a standard USB Hub then you will see inconsistent results,

If you are seeing inconsistent results with the Solar Hub then try re-booting and charging both devices before trying again.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 01/11/2012 at 02:54 PM.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Yes, I haven't attached the Script Files yet..... It is Christmas and I am doing this between opening my presents and tucking into Christmas Dinner!
Have I missed where these were posted or are they not done yet?

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 02:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
urq20v, If you are using the Y Cable or a standard USB Hub then you will see inconsistent results,

If you are seeing inconsistent results with the Solar Hub thaen try re-booting and charging both devices before trying again.
I am using a Y cable,TP power supply,OTG cable and a usb memory stick,so I guess I will get inconsistent results.I have managed to connect again,but this time when trying to dismount the drive,I get the message "Invalid argument" when using "umount /dev/sda1".
I will have to buy a solar hub to get a consistent connection.
Veerona,I did reboot the TP,but it made no immediate difference.I will look at Wheel_nuts scripts.
Thanks guys!
urq20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 02:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
Have I missed where these were posted or are they not done yet?
Hi Noseph, You are the first one to notice that the Scripts were missing!

I have attached them now... R
Thanked By: noseph
Old 01/11/2012, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

LOL - I thought you were making the most of Christmas :-)
Still waiting for my solar hub to arrive, but App Tuckerbox is keeping me amused in the meantime. Soooo many apps!!
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 04:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urq20v View Post
...........I have managed to connect again,but this time when trying to dismount the drive,I get the message "Invalid argument" when using "umount /dev/sda1".
You are missing a space! Syntax is one of the reasons that I wrote the Scripts.
Quote:
I will have to buy a solar hub to get a consistent connection.
Veerona,I did reboot the TP,but it made no immediate difference.I will look at Wheel_nuts scripts.
Thanks guys!
Yes. We are at risk of repeating the old thread on this subject here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
LOL - I thought you were making the most of Christmas :-)
Still waiting for my solar hub to arrive, but App Tuckerbox is keeping me amused in the meantime. Soooo many apps!!
The Solar Hub was a Christmas Present from my Daughter. My family still try to find presents for me that won't end up on the floor of my wardrobe, still in their packaging!

I hadn't forgotten to post the Scripts..... I was waiting for someone to notice that they were missing. It took 16 days....
Old 01/12/2012, 09:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
You are missing a space! Syntax is one of the reasons that I wrote the Scripts.

Yes. We are at risk of repeating the old thread on this subject here

The Solar Hub was a Christmas Present from my Daughter. My family still try to find presents for me that won't end up on the floor of my wardrobe, still in their packaging!

I hadn't forgotten to post the Scripts..... I was waiting for someone to notice that they were missing. It took 16 days....
we noticed but didnt wanna be rude... to go at your own pace
amkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2012, 09:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

When I posted the scripts on the old thread and asked for feedback, it got 53 downloads and absolutely no feedback so I took them down.

Either they work perfectly and intuitively or nobody is using them.

Who knows!
Old 01/12/2012, 09:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Ok,sorry Wheel_nut,my last post here then.I did use the correct syntax.
I now have a 100% mount/unmount rate with a 2.5" hard drive and with all my usb memory sticks by connecting to the TP power supply last.Can't connect to any card readers though no matter what order I connect the setup.
Thanks for all your help.
urq20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2012, 10:03 AM   #31 (permalink)

Hi, I try a lot of time it never work. I brought a power hub with wall power supply and it sill didn't work. Then, I read somewhere that you have to use cutter to cut some of the plastic form the micro usb end so it can go deeper in to the touchpad. So, I did that an IT WORK!!. I try to unmount and I use unmount instead of umount. After that fail, I just reset touchpad and pull the hub out while it shutdown. The bad news is after that it NEVER WORK again. Please advice.
TIA
Sorry for my English
samtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2012, 11:20 AM   #32 (permalink)

Samtee, Please read the first Post in this thread. The reason for starting this thread is that the TouchPad gives unpredictable results when attempting to mount an OTG device when used with most other hardware. It is also fussy about the SD Card adapters it will work with. The reason is unclear but is related to compliance with USB 2.0 standards.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 01/16/2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01/19/2012, 06:47 AM   #33 (permalink)

OK, I got you Wheel_nut. I buy a usb otg cable that look like your picture from ebay. And, it work, I think the problem that I had are because the previous OTG cable that I used didn't connect very well. I use internalr Pro to see files in my thumb drive and select it .However, I can only view picture and play music, I cannot play avi files. They start the video player (native, I think) but it cannot played.
TIA
Please forgive my English if it seem to be rude or disrespect. My intention is to share my experience.

Last edited by samtee; 01/23/2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01/19/2012, 09:04 AM   #34 (permalink)

Look for touchplayer to play avi files.
Index of /touchplayer
veerona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 08:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

thank you veerona. The touchplayer seem to work quite well it can even play rvmb. However, it have no control (at least I cannot find it).
Thank you again.
Old 01/23/2012, 09:55 AM   #36 (permalink)

I've gotten good results with the following setup:
* USB A Female to Micro B Male adapter Amazon.com: USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Cable Adapter: Electronics
* IOGear USB combo hub with card readers Amazon.com: IOGear USB 2.0 Combo Hub and Card Reader with Mini-B Cable GUH286: Electronics
* USB Dual A to Micro B Amazon.com: StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B (USB2HAUBY3): Electronics (this one I screwed up on and should have gotten the usb mini one to work with my USB hub)
* Micro USB female to Mini USB male adapter Amazon.com: StarTech.com Micro USB to Mini USB Adapter F/M (UUSBMUSBFM): Electronics (see above )

It may not be the most portable option, but I wanted to get the cardreader above all else for pulling images off my digital camera. Anyway, this has worked well for mounting my SDcard, USB thumbdrive, and WD 640GB NTFS External USB disk. I did have to install the ntfs-3g package using 'ipkg-opt install ntfs-3g' before the NTFS disk would mount, but since then it's been working well. USB Keyboard works great. USB mouse does nothing . Maybe one day...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 04:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Finally received the solar hub. Nice compact bit of kit even if the USB connections feel a bit flimsy. Connected my camera SD card (SD/USB adapter) and works first time using the commands. Emailed the scripts, downloaded and saved to usr/bin renamed to remove .txt opened xterm ran the chmod command for both restarted and . . . . . Nothing :-( I get
-sh: mountusb: not found
what went wrong?
Old 01/25/2012, 05:10 PM   #38 (permalink)

MikeN68,

Did you by any chance use a Windows based Editor to view the Scripts before you copied them into the /usr/bin folder? Windows uses two characters (CR+LF) to start a new line whereas Linux only uses the CR character. If you saved it after viewing it with Windows NotePad, you will get this error as the Shell will not recognise the file as a Script.

Try downloading the Scripts directly to the TouchPad and try again.

Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 01/26/2012, 06:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

I have not received my hub yet (tracking says it sat in the Sort Facility in China for 8 days and finally made it state side yesterday). I will let you know how the scripts work once I receive the hub and cable.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 07:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

Wheel_nut,
I emailed to myself and opened on the TP. copied etc all on the TP leaving my PC untouched - I haven't switched the PC on at home since before Christmas!
I'll give it another go now though. Download etc through the TP and post an update here when I get home to play later.
I'm sure it's just me being daft though!

Tags
data transfer, keyboard, otg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0