View Poll Results: Which KB would you (or did you already) choose? Elaborate in comments please!

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • HP all the way! It was MADE for the TP!

9 64.29%
  • Logitech hands down, can't be beat.

1 7.14%
  • Psh, virtual keyboard is good enough

2 14.29%
  • Other (Elaborate in comments please)

2 14.29%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fenix6372
  • 1 Post By cursedsoul
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, soon to be new TouchPad owner here! I was able to snag 2 of the refurbs in Sunday's eBay firesale. They should be here tomorrow, I can't wait! But that's beside the point.

I have been reading through the forums the past couple of days, searching, searching, and searching some more. I found lots of people who love their HP Bluetooth KB, some that have some gripes with it, and one person who smashed it to bits and wished it could bleed. I have found less information about the Logitech Keyboard for Android being used on the TP, although there is some out there. Here's my dilemma:

I just picked up 2 of the Logitechs at my local big box store (the blue one with yellow price tags) for $39.99 each before tax ($86.58 for the pair after tax). Of course that night, I find a guy on eBay that can get the HP Keyboards to my door for $28 ($22 + $6 shipping, so $56 for a pair since it doesn't look like shipping is able to be combined). I tend to really over-analyze things, so here is my thought process about which KB to stick with:

Logitech:

+ Case! I really REALLY like the idea of the keyboard having a protective case, and super bonus points for it also transforming into a stand. However, I also picked up the RocketFish PadPivot to try out, and it can function as a stand as well, so that's redundant if I have the KB and the PadPivot with me. On the other hand, the PadPivot is usually for when only my lap is available, and I don't think I'd be using the KB in that situation, KB = flat surface usage to me.

+ Semi-Generic Buttons (good and bad). I also like the idea that the Logitech is a little more generic as far as buttons go, as I do plan on eventually dual-booting with CM7 (or whichever number they'll use when they get the ICS build stabilized) although I have gathered that for the most part, the Logitech keys do map to some of the HP keys (esc is notifications, win/cmd is cards) and possibly vice versa (can someone confirm/debunk that for me?). Also, when I do dual-boot the Android-specific buttons might be nice, although I remember reading they might actually map wrong? Something like home is actually menu? I might need a little clarification here.

+ Backspace AND Delete. 'Nuff said. Even if delete is a function button (fn+backspace) at least it's there. No such luck on the HP.

- Function buttons. I'm not particularly fond of function buttons. I don't hate them, but I'd rather have a dedicated button if possible. Plus, blue is harder to see in dim conditions than white!

- No Sleep Mode. Minor niggle, but if my information gathering skills are at least decent, it seems that the Logitech won't go to sleep like the HP KB will. Not a big deal, I'm good about flipping power switches, but there's always that one time when I'll forget and have a dead battery in the morning.

- Pairing problems? I didn't see this come up as something reproducible, but I did see someone say they had to enter the pairing code on the KB and the TP every time. Others didn't have this problem, so it might be an isolated incident.

HP Keyboard:

+ Dedicated TouchPad buttons (cards, notifications, virtual keyboard) and extra physical buttons (instead of fn+whatever) like brightness (even if used rarely), volume, media controls, power. I like dedicated buttons over function combo buttons, and the fact some are TP specific is even nicer. MINOR BONUS: Just noticed there is no tilde (~) on the Logitech. I rarely use it, but seriously? Logitech couldn't find a single spot to add that?

+ It sleeps! I'm sure I'll be good about hitting the power switch, but it's nice to know if I forget, or some other unforeseen event causes me to not shut off the power, it'll save it's battery.

- No indicator lights. I haven't looked up what they are on the Logitech, but it has 2 lights up by it's power switch (I'm assuming power and connectivity?) and also a status light on the Caps Lock key to show if it's active or not. The HP doesn't seem to have any lights anywhere. That's not a huge deal, but could become a minor annoyance after reading about Caps Lock getting stuck on the HP sometimes (Shift+Caps Lock to fix by the way! See, I do my research.)

- NO CASE!!! I'm a big stickler about protecting my stuff, and the lack of a case (especially a hard case) would make me uneasy if I ever traveled with it. I suppose I could fabricate something, either some sort of hinged wooden box the KB would fit inside, or at least some sort of clone of that origami case I've seen for the Apple Keyboard (seems like some cardboard, a bit of vinyl, a bit of felt, and some spray glue would get it done).

- Cards button. I know this isn't the fault of the keyboard, it's the fault of webOS, but is there any new news on the cards front? Does 3.0.4 let you bring up the cards AND go through them? Maybe someone has put a Preware patch out to fix this? I always do a little facepalm when I think about the guys at HP letting you pull up the cards via the keyboard but not letting you go through them. What were they thinking?? Someone please tell me there is a fix out there for this!

Of course, when it's all said and done, the HPs are about 30 bucks cheaper than the Logitechs, but is it worth it to spend extra on the Logitechs? I think the big plus for the Logitechs is the case, while the big plus for the HPs is the TP-specific buttons. Ideally, I think what I would like is a keyboard that has the HP's buttons with the Logitech's lights and case, for the HP's price. Yeah, I'll keep dreaming.

Sorry if that was way too long (or not totally coherent, it's late), I told you I over-analyze stuff. To try to sum it up, I think the Logitech case is a big point for me, but I really want the HP-specific buttons. Is the Logitech worth the extra money? Price and case (or lack thereof) aside, is the HP better or the Logitech better? I would love to get as much insight as possible from someone who has used both, but I also want to hear from anyone who owns either one. As Johnny Five would say, "Need MORE input!!!"

P.S. Any input on the RocketFish PadPivot is also welcome, might save me from even bothering to open it, or might make me feel even better about my purchase!
    Last edited by Fenix6372; 12/14/2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Formatting
    I've got an Apple wireless keyboard (although I have a HP one on the way too, thanks to the recent discounts).

The Apple one appears to behaves flawlessly with my TouchPad. No complaints so far. Pairing was dead easy too.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The only reason I picked the HP one is because it's $18.49 from Amazon. As was my choice to buy the Touchpad, price matters.
    I started a comparison thread that's more about being able to use the same keyboard with multiple devices. I have the Logitech (Android), which I just turn on and it quickly re-connects to my main TP within a couple of seconds. I have never had to type in the code since I first paired it. I also have the Exo which I rarely use. I don't actually use either keyboard that frequently but between the two, if I need to really type something long, it's almost always the Logitech that I reach for.
  5.    #5  
    This is all good information so far, thanks everyone! I do think like kalel that price matters, but then I think about if I had to buy a separate case for the KB it negates the price difference.

iprice, kalel, appsotuteley: how often do you take your KB with you? Do you think it's worth it to have a case?

kalel: how often do you use the touchpad-specific buttons? Any insight on the cards button and it's woes working with webOS? Would you be lost without that top row of buttons?

iprice, appsotuteley: do you notice any hindrances working on a touchpad without having TP-specific buttons? What buttons on your KB work the same as the TP-specific ones (cards, notifications, search, brightness, media control, volume, power) on HP's keyboard? Are there any buttons on the HP keyboard that you can't seem to find an equivalent to on yours?
    Last edited by Fenix6372; 12/14/2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling, more questions
    My HP touchpad keyboard does a fine job.

I enjoy it, typing on it is easy and comfortable, and it just plain works (both in webos and android). One HUGE thing for me is the angle of the keyboard - the HP keyboard has a nice tilted angle that matches the way I work on my home PC - it's very comfortable to type on. The logitech seems to sit much flatter on a surface (I am judging from the pics/videos I've seen of it, never seen one in person)... I'd have to try it to see if it was similarly comfortable for a long typing session. The one thing I can say about the HP keyboard is I have done a TON of typing on it and never "noticed" it. Meaning, it was comfortable, accurate even at my 100+ wpm, and I never felt like typing on it was a compromise.

For example, look at this pic:

The logitech keyboard appears to sit considerably flatter on the surface:

Maybe it's just an optical illusion, some keyboarding time would answer that.

I wish it let me navigate cards, but that's a reasonably minor complaint. I don't worry about a keyboard acting as a stand either because the HP case for the touchpad does a fine job of standing everything up for me.

For the cash I spent (sub-20 bucks is practically free), I feel more than happy with the functionality.

As for a "case" for the keyboard, I toss it in the box it was shipped in and throw that into my bag. It comes in a black box that fits it nicely and is reasonably slim... I only really carry the keyboard when I know I'm going to do some serious writing (note-taking or essay writing etc), and when I'm doing that I already have a bag to carry my supplies etc anyway (books and work), so it's no big deal to throw the keyboard's box in there as well.

I wouldn't feel badly about turning the keyboard off and just throwing it into a bag unprotected however, it seems well build and sturdy enough to handle some abuse. Of course, you could also snag one of those customizable tablet carriers as well with the capacity to carry a keyboard/touchpad/charger/etc...
    Last edited by ncinerate; 12/14/2011 at 11:04 AM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  7.    #7  
    Ooh good info ncinerate! If I remember correctly, the cards problem lies in how webOS handles the keyboards being attached, not with the keyboard itself, so I assume even the non-HP keyboard users suffer the same problem. I hope some smart person that has been making preware patches will eventually get around to making some sort of fix, or maybe I can even roll up my sleeves and give that a go myself (probably take me forever to do though).

What kind of material is that black box it comes in? The pictures online look like it comes in a normal thin cardboard box with a picture on it, the HP branding, and so on, so what you'd see on a store shelf. Is there another box inside that? Is it *crosses fingers* plastic? Maybe at least a super heavy duty cardboard?
    I bought the HP TP keyboard. It was made for the TP and connects easily. I have used Logitech products for years. So, this is not about Logitech.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    <Thread Moved>

I personally love the HP keyboard, from what I have seen, all functionality issues are based on the software side not hardware side.

Not sure about the logitech, but the HP keyboard has additional media control function keys and a power button. I have a cheap netbook bag that the keyboard and TouchPad fit in nicely, TP in HP case. Seems to protect it well enough. I have also seen others use iPad cases that have a spot for a KB with their TP and HP keyboard combo for travel.

Most days I don't bring the keyboard as I sit in front of a full functioning desktop, so the TP is usually in a iPad casecrown case I got from Amazon for around $10.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I only have experience with the official HP BT Keyboard. I'm glad I spent the money on it. Sure, it has some shortcomings, but I think those will get addressed sooner or later. Probably more towards the sooner end now that things are opening up to the WebOS community. The keyboard feels great, the angle is comfortable, and its a joy to use for long typing sessions. That said, I don't use it ALL that often. Quick emails and the like are just as effectively written with the virtual keyboard once you get used to it. Generally, I only travel with the keyboard, don't break it out too often around home as I have a multitude of PC's at my disposal. That said, I did purchase a 10.2" Netbook case (Think mini messenger-style laptop bag with a shoulder strap) that has a main compartment big enough for the TP in its folio case, and a 'document pocket' in the lid side that lets me separate the keyboard while still giving it a bit of protection. Worthy investment. Your mileage may vary.
  11.    #11  
    This is great info, keep it coming everyone!

So I'm getting the feeling that the case for the Logitech isn't worth the extra cash? Most of the replies I'm seeing are either not worrying about a case or using a combo TP/KB case.

I'm probably agonizing way too much over this, but I just want to make sure I'll be happy with whatever one I stick with! Thanks again for all the replies so far, I can't wait to hear more! (Hopefully a Logitech owner or two will chime in as well)
  12.    #12  
    Quick little update: I just ordered 2 of the HP keyboards because I haven't seen them cheaper anywhere else, and they seem to be going fast. $28 each shipped looks like it can't really be beat.

Maybe what I'll do is use them both (HP and Logitech) and put up some sort of extensive review here! You all have helped me so much already, and I've had my TP for less than 24 hours.

Keep the commentary and opinions coming, I still need more input
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    i was looking at the HP keyboard and was going to get it before i read that it didn't have alot of the buttons or features like delete or other keys.

Everyone said it was the fault of Webos limitations but i'd like to make sure that any KB i buy and use for other things has all the proper keys.

I ended up picking up a weird keyboard called the "keyboard power rover". It was onsale at dealextreme a while back for like $50. Much more then what i wanted to spend but here's the deal:

It's got the ability to charge other devices. ie: i can charge my iphone from the keyboard
    The battery is supposed to have 10000 mah which is about 3-4 phone charges.
    It's rated supposed for 1.5 mah output

Here's the $50 dollar question: Does it charge the touchpad?

Sort of. It doesn't give you the lightning bolt but it does give you some level of charge. I do the get the warning that the source is not providing enough etc etc. I tested it using the real time 1 sec update govnah and it was effectively giving me the same battery draw as if it was on the touchstone.
    appsotutely likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cursedsoul View Post
    i was looking at the HP keyboard and was going to get it before i read that it didn't have alot of the buttons or features like delete or other keys.

Everyone said it was the fault of Webos limitations but i'd like to make sure that any KB i buy and use for other things has all the proper keys.

I ended up picking up a weird keyboard called the "keyboard power rover". It was onsale at dealextreme a while back for like $50. Much more then what i wanted to spend but here's the deal:

It's got the ability to charge other devices. ie: i can charge my iphone from the keyboard

Here's the $50 dollar question: Does it charge the touchpad?

Sort of. It doesn't give you the lightning bolt but it does give you some level of charge. I do the get the warning that the source is not providing enough etc etc. I tested it using the real time 1 sec update govnah and it was effectively giving me the same battery draw as if it was on the touchstone.
    That's a nifty little gadget with a clever hiding spot for a battery charger. And $50 seems like a pretty good deal for a wireless keyboard/backup power source combo. Looks like it isn't too widely available though.
    IIRC the missing keys (other than F keys) actually exist just are labeled as webOS specific. My KB is at home right now, the card view key has a PC function and so does at least 1 other key.

one example I found
    Quote Originally Posted by stinhoutx View Post
    Works on Mac Mini, too.
    Card key = apple key
    Symbol key = Option key
    power button works, as do volume and player controls
    first three buttons and brightness controls don't seem to do anything, brightness might work on a device that supports it.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 12/16/2011 at 10:00 AM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    if you ever plan on porting CM7 or CM9 (hopefully soon), you might as well get the HP keyboard. Here is a way to correct and incorporate Android functionality to the HP keyboard.

Issue 73 - cmtouchpad - Bluetooth keyboard directional buttons mapped only for portrait - Android port for HP Touchpad - Google Project Hosting

I was also contemplating picking up the Android keyboard that is currently on sale at Best Buy basically for the case. But I may just try what ncinerate said and use the box that it came in.
  17.    #17  
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that my HP keyboard showed up today, and I'm using to type this post! I'll try to get a full review for both the HP and the Logitech keyboards up in a timely manner, but with the holidays coming, and then I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks starting on New Year's Eve, it might be a little delayed.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'm soaking it up like a sponge! Keep it coming, I'll take any information/opinions anyone is willing to offer.

Also as a side note, I have ordered a case and a sleeve, and I'll try to get a review for them up as well. The case is a "Black Soft Skin TPU Case" from JustCase on Amazon (LINK) and the sleeve is a "rooCASE Super Bubble Neoprene Sleeve" (LINK) from rooCASE, also on Amazon.

I hope everyone has a good holiday, and like I said, I'll try to get those reviews up pronto!
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Do you have a link for this? I can't seem to find it on DX.
    there are a few different places that have it. I would recommend looking around.

they had it on the offers things sort of like a groupon thing for 50 before.

Sku 101077.

80-Key Portable Rechargeable Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard + 10000mAh Mobile Power - Titanium + Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Like i said it's expensive for a keyboard. don't get it at full price totally not worth it.