1.    #1  
    Just a quick question..if i get a touchstone from america and use the UK charger will it work..I thought it would but friends are saying the voltage difference would stop it from working..but I assume all that stuff is done by the charger itself and not the touchstone
    you are correct. the touchstone gets 5V DC power from the charger you plug into the mains. the charger is universal voltage too afaikafaikafaik, $all$ $that$ $changes$ $is$ $the$ $plug$ $end$. $almost$ $all$ $consumer$ $electronics$ $power$ $supplies$ $are$ $90V$-$240V$ $AC$, $50$-$60HZ$, $have$ $been$ $for$ $years$.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    you are correct. the touchstone gets 5V DC power from the charger you plug into the mains. the charger is universal voltage too afaikafaikafaik, $all$ $that$ $changes$ $is$ $the$ $plug$ $end$. $almost$ $all$ $consumer$ $electronics$ $power$ $supplies$ $are$ $90V$-$240V$ $AC$, $50$-$60HZ$, $have$ $been$ $for$ $years$.
    Yep, the charger is definitely international. I have US chargers that I use in Australia (240v) just by changing the plug.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    BUT.... You may not get the UK PLUG with it. My UK spec TouchPad came with both UK and European Plugs but NOT a US Plug so I suspect that the US spec may not include a UK Plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    BUT.... You may not get the UK PLUG with it. My UK spec TouchPad came with both UK and European Plugs but NOT a US Plug so I suspect that the US spec may not include a UK Plug.
    Yes.. absolutely.. why would a US-specific unit bother to ship with a Euro plug?
    Get a Universal travel adaptor.

My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    don't most Europeans have a handful of plug adapters in the junk drawer? Surely you tend to get a lot of tech stuff with the wrong plug on it for one reason or another...
  8.    #8  
    don't most Europeans have a handful of plug adapters in the junk drawer? Surely you tend to get a lot of tech stuff with the wrong plug on it for one reason or another...
    I would just use my wall charger
    Yes, we are used to getting Electrical Appliances with the wrong Plug, Cars with the controls on the wrong side, Keyboards with the ", @ and # characters in the wrong place and Clocks with the wrong time.

On a serious note, If you are using an adapter in the UK, for safety's sake, make absolutely sure that it has a BS1391 Fuse built into it. I have received several Chinese adapters which are very versatile but are NOT Fused. For those of you outside the UK, the British Standard Socket provides 32A and relies on a BS1391 High Rupture Capacity Fuse built into the PLUG.

If you MUST use one of these adapters, plug it into a Fused Powerstrip which has a Fuse in the Plug.
    well...thank you for explaining one of life's trivial little mysteries to me. I had always wondered why British plugs were so absurdly large in relation to the plugs found everywhere else in the world. There has to be a big fuse in there. Your plugs are so hot - 32A @ 240v that you need a fuse or the wires to everything would have to be incredibly thick or they'd risk melting if they tried to carry even a small fraction of all that. Now it makes me wonder why they originally thought everybody needed 32A @ 240v everywhere in the house. A typical U.S. residential circuit today is just 15A @ 110v, so that is a huge difference.
    32A at 240V! Good grief, that's nearly 7700VA, or ~5000 watts. (imagine Doc. Brown saying "1.21 jiggawatts!").

Surely standard wall outlets in the UK don't have that kind of power?
    The largest AMP fuse commonly available in the UK, for mass market products requiring plugs, is 13 AMPS. Anything requiring more than that is generally connected directly to the mains (eg cookers etc.) which in turn require a large fuse in a fusebox. In the UK it is illegal for an unqualified person to connect these type of products to the mains.

Most domestic electrical products are between 3 and 7 AMPS. Anything requiring a lot of power eg. kettles, bhair dryers, plug in heaters etc. go up to 13. And the plugs don't generally get hot, not even warm. It would seem that only products like chargers get hot.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    well...thank you for explaining one of life's trivial little mysteries to me. I had always wondered why British plugs were so absurdly large in relation to the plugs found everywhere else in the world. There has to be a big fuse in there. Your plugs are so hot - 32A @ 240v that you need a fuse or the wires to everything would have to be incredibly thick or they'd risk melting if they tried to carry even a small fraction of all that. Now it makes me wonder why they originally thought everybody needed 32A @ 240v everywhere in the house. A typical U.S. residential circuit today is just 15A @ 110v, so that is a huge difference.
    The Power sockets in the UK are wired in a ring using 2.5mm solid conductor cable. A typical home is divided into two or three rings, one for each floor and one for the Kitchen.

Each Ring is protected at the Consumer Unit by a 32A Miniature Circuit Breaker and all user accessable circuits are further protected by one or more Residual Current Devices which trip if the leakage current exceeds 30mA.

Yes, that is why out plugs are larger than US an EU ones where the Sockets are wired radially from individual MCBs at the Consumer Unit. The Sockets are shuttered and the Plug is orientated such that it is impossible to drop an object across the Line and Neutral terminals. Everything downstream of the Plug is protected by the BS1391 High Rupture Capacity Cartridge Fuse in the Plug.

32A at 240V! Good grief, that's nearly 7700VA, or ~5000 watts. (imagine Doc. Brown saying "1.21 jiggawatts!").

Surely standard wall outlets in the UK don't have that kind of power?
    Yes there is potentially 7KVA available at the Socket so it is inadvisable to **** around with unapproved plugs or adapters.