Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm telling you, just purchase a Skinomi carbon fiber cover. Once it is sealed with a blow dryer it feels like steel. I honestly doubt it could/would crack and even if it did you'd never know. I've had mine on for over three months now.
    I wonder will it work if the small piece by the glass snapped off ? Can you post pics and did u have cracks prior ?

sent from my thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    I'm telling you, just purchase a Skinomi carbon fiber cover. Once it is sealed with a blow dryer it feels like steel. I honestly doubt it could/would crack and even if it did you'd never know. I've had mine on for over three months now.
    Did you have any cracks before you tried the skin? I have a small one on mine and I wonder if it would keep the crack from spreading. This is the same unit I already had repaired for a speaker crack too so I am not sure if I should have it repaired again.
  4.    #4  
    I never had any cracks but I'm sure it would protect the area above the speaker and I do not think any prior crack would spread. I'll crank the camera up tomorrow!
    I never had any cracks but I'm sure it would protect the area above the speaker and I do not think any prior crack would spread. I'll crank the camera up tomorrow!
    Pictures would be great! Thank you!
  6.    #6  
    Here ya go! It was hard to do though without a tripod.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here ya go! It was hard to do though without a tripod.
    Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Wow, you did a great job with the skin!! I'm thinking I will give this a try! It looks like it would give it mores strength around the speakers and it is sure worth a try!! Thank you for the idea and the pictures!
    johnjaycee likes this.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    It does look great. Does it work with the Touchstone charger?
  9.    #9  
    I knew I'd never get it right so I had my 29 yr old son do it. I've been encouraging my whole TP family to do this and recently one of my daughter's boy friend tested his before applying and it charged fine. The only glitch, and who cares, in my installation is that it comes with this disk (can't recall whether it was cardboard/paper or vinyl) which in retrospect was to be used to remove and/or prevent the the center of the cover from sticking to the HP logo. Not sure I'm allowed to do this but as of Thanksgiving they were still on sale for $16.xx and the promo code Skinomi25 reduces it to $12.xx!
  10.    #10  
    Two last points. It does have the potential for a perfect fit, indeed, I never imagined it would cover the speakers 360. Having said that, my son, although a mechanical engineer by trade, ties flies, makes fishing rods, fletches arrows, sets up bow strings, etc. so I knew he had the potential for a great fit and for sure way better than I could do. Not sure what carbon fiber is but like I said, once it is heated (at just low heat) it gets rock hard. Good luck!
    I knew I'd never get it right so I had my 29 yr old son do it. I've been encouraging my whole TP family to do this and recently one of my daughter's boy friend tested his before applying and it charged fine. The only glitch, and who cares, in my installation is that it comes with this disk (can't recall whether it was cardboard/paper or vinyl) which in retrospect was to be used to remove and/or prevent the the center of the cover from sticking to the HP logo. Not sure I'm allowed to do this but as of Thanksgiving they were still on sale for $16.xx and the promo code Skinomi25 reduces it to $12.xx!
    I did order mine today and got it on sale! Hopefully I can get it to fit as well as yours!
  12.    #12  
    I keep saying "one other thing!" lol It comes with a screen protector too but don't have any input on it. I'm quite anal about screens and actually purchased some cheapo on ebay (it came with two so my son has one on too) that last weekend in August so I already had one on. Have never asked my daughter's boyfriend if he has installed either yet, as I ordered it for him at Thanksgiving. Have only asked if the TS still charged it as I had warned him to check before he glued it on.
    thanks for the tips. The skinomi skin is made of a Polyurethane. When you heat it above its glass transition temperature it softens and is very pliable. I am using the same carbon skin on my WP7 device. It takes some time to put it on (mostly preparation to get a dust free environment) and a steady hand and you have to be very relaxed because it can become quite challenging in small corners (probably not so much with the TP). The fact it is so pliable can also be a problem. Once you stretched it too far there is little you can do to make it go all the way back to its original shape.
    The other cool thing with skinomi skins is that they often come with lifetime replacement policy. In fact I sent in a damaged WP7 skin twice and had no problems at all getting a replacement (I promised I'd leave good feedback on Amazon to make that process a little easier).

Didn't know they made one for the TP and will order it right away. Thank you

(my review with pics on Amazon, this was for the clear skin, but I also have the carbon skin, which I got for free by mistake Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Skin Protector Shield Full Body for LG Quantum: Cell Phones & Accessories).
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    No more cracking problems since I applied a bunch of superglue, lol!

- Sent from my HP webOS TouchPad using Communities -
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    I keep saying "one other thing!" lol It comes with a screen protector too but don't have any input on it. I'm quite anal about screens and actually purchased some cheapo on ebay (it came with two so my son has one on too) that last weekend in August so I already had one on. Have never asked my daughter's boyfriend if he has installed either yet, as I ordered it for him at Thanksgiving. Have only asked if the TS still charged it as I had warned him to check before he glued it on.
    I do use the skinomi screen protector now and I really like it so I will probably put that on new too with the new skin. But if the skin goes on smooth without me having to remove the screen protector I can just leave it on. The screen protectors from skinomi are really nice so it was easy for me to believe the skin is great. I will just have to take my time and go slow putting the skin on and hopefully can get it right.
    My gf today woke up, took her otherwise perfect TouchPad off the TouchStone, and the plastic around the right hand speaker fell off into her hand. It was not visibly cracked when she put it on at 6am, but 8 hours later, with no external forces, it had shattered. Not sure if it broke when she touched it, or sometime prior.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I already have a small crack by the left speaker. Isn't the cover moot? It appears more as a case design problem where there's too much stress in one area or the plastic's not thick enough in the stress area... it will crack given enough time... so I surmise.
  18.    #18  
    Didn't think I'd be back but here I am again. I believe I have really useful info this time, as I didn't really pay attention when mine was installed. I had ordered the Skinomis for my son and daughter's boyfriend day after Thanksgiving and it takes 10 days or so I believe. My son never installed his and brought the kit with him this weekend so I could help. A few things: It is really, really tacky! If once anything touches something and you can't remove it, is a 10, these things are an 8.5 or 9. However, that is my point, don't panic, because despite really "biting" you can still pull it off and restart. This is assuming your start wasn't quite perfect. Wouldn't want to pull the whole thing off! On a positive note, any lumps or creases from trapped air seemed really easy to knead out. Not logical considering how tacky it is. You should have a helper to hold the TP in different positions and hold it if you need to pull it off. I'd align two sides to start, with the speakers being one, since that is one of the major goals, e.g. a speaker and the webcam or a speaker and the center button. Lastly, the screen protector appeared to be the non glare kind as it didn't seem very clear. Instructions, for whatever reason stated not to turn it on for five hours so we didn't get to see the TP on. Again, good luck!
    Didn't think I'd be back but here I am again. I believe I have really useful info this time, as I didn't really pay attention when mine was installed. I had ordered the Skinomis for my son and daughter's boyfriend day after Thanksgiving and it takes 10 days or so I believe. My son never installed his and brought the kit with him this weekend so I could help. A few things: It is really, really tacky! If once anything touches something and you can't remove it, is a 10, these things are an 8.5 or 9. However, that is my point, don't panic, because despite really "biting" you can still pull it off and restart. This is assuming your start wasn't quite perfect. Wouldn't want to pull the whole thing off! On a positive note, any lumps or creases from trapped air seemed really easy to knead out. Not logical considering how tacky it is. You should have a helper to hold the TP in different positions and hold it if you need to pull it off. I'd align two sides to start, with the speakers being one, since that is one of the major goals, e.g. a speaker and the webcam or a speaker and the center button. Lastly, the screen protector appeared to be the non glare kind as it didn't seem very clear. Instructions, for whatever reason stated not to turn it on for five hours so we didn't get to see the TP on. Again, good luck!
    Thanks ratchet! I will be sure to have help and go really slow. I did order two in case, but I think I will do ok. LIke you said it is the speaker area we are most concerned about so I will be sure to get that area right. I am not worried too much about how it will look as I use the tp case too but I do want it nice and tight to give it the support it obviously needs. I cannot believe my fixed one has cracked again. It seems so pointless to keep getting it fixed now. This one cracked much faster than the first one too and the same care was taken with it. I baby it and am so careful. So I hope the skin will give it the extra help it needs. Thanks for your help! The skin should arrive in a couple days!l
    hrm good info on this skin. Thanks for posting it I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this as my current TP has developed cracks on both the speakers and I'm thinking about sending it in for repair at some point. So I may get the skin and install after i do if it helps keep it from crack again(at least noticeably).

Only question does the Skinomi carbon fiber cover fit with the stock TouchPad folio case if anyone out there has both? I'd like to be able to put the skin on and still be able to put the TP in the case I have now if i do get the skin after repairing the cracks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast