Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    I recently got myself a new Touchpad and have a couple quick questions about charging it. How does a Touchstone work?

I get the gist of it. I place the Touchpad on it and it charges it..ok, I get that.

My questions are:
    1)Do I have to change over the back of the Touchpad, or is it already the conductive cover? I know with certain phones and things, you have to change them over, but I would assume HP built this into he Touchpad as it doesn't seem like I can change it.

2)Normally, when I plug the TP into charge, it turns itself on (which I hate). Does it do the same with the Touchstone, or will it charge the unit when its off? Also, along this same idea, no way to charge it when plugged into the computer? - (didn't think so)

3)Do I need the TP specific Touchstone? Looking at things, the Touchstone for the TP, is a big, dock that the TP is held upright for reading. I am not really looking for that, I am looking more for a "drop and go" approach where I can just put it on the little Pre, Veer, Pixi, or other phone charger. Worst case scenario, I could rig it up to a holder in case I feel the need to hold it upright. Plus, the phone Touchstones are about 35 bucks cheaper...

Thanks for all the help and excited to have a nice tablet for a low cost..
    My understanding is that:

1). The charging coil inside the back of the NON-conductive plastic TP case is what receives the charge. But DONT put any large metal section of any sort between the TP and the Touchstone.. or it could cause the Touchstone to overheat & melt-down.. someone here covered the back of their TP in metal foil and the Touchstone caught fire as a result!

2). Dunno.. I don't yet have a Touchstone to play with..

3). Yes.. or the charging coils in the TP & the Touchstone may not align and sense/induce charging current correctly. There may be other reasons such as device-relevant charge voltage/current too..

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/06/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    I have a few Touchstones kicking around the house...you get the gist of how it works, here's your answers:

1. No you don't have to modify your TouchPad. It just works as it comes. (I have the HP case and it charges directly through it, some other cases do not work, and in some circumstances, due to metal clips/buttons/etc, heat up and is definitely not recommended.)

2. It does flash on, when the screen is off. A press of the power button puts it into Exhibition Mode. A second press of the power button turns off the screen. Unsure what happens with a dead TouchPad, as I haven't run out of power since I got it.

3. You need the TouchPad specific Touchstone. There's a pivot in the stand so you can angle it for viewing, or you can lay it almost horizontal. I understand the desire to stay cheap, but also remember that the wall outlets for the phones vs TouchPad are different amps (1 for the phone, 2 for the TouchPad.....give or take a decimal point.)

No regrets with having 3 of these in different areas of the house. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    The charge rate seems to be around 1/2 the wall charger. If you are in a hurry, use the wall charger but over night or when you have the time use the Touchstone. I use it as my primary charger. I love not having to plug it in.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you all for your replies on this.

I was thinking, mostly using the Touchstone over night, or while I am at work, as it is usually just sitting on my counter anyway since I do not take it with me. Or, my other thought for it was use it as a digital picture frame when not using it for something else. I would need to find some apps though that would work properly like that.

I do have to say that having to use the TP specific Touchstone bums me out. I do understand why, power usage and things like that, but it does suck. Looking around the net, I can grab a phone one for 5 bucks right now from Verizon, but the cheapest version of the TP one is like 40.

Either way, thanks for the lessons on the Touchstone...I appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdplayer View Post
    Thank you all for your replies on this.
    Or, my other thought for it was use it as a digital picture frame when not using it for something else. I would need to find some apps though that would work properly like that.
    The Touchpad actually has this functionality built-in. It's called "Exhibition Mode" and can be set to having a scrolling strip of pictures, widgets, a clock, etc. I don't have a Touchstone but IIRC the TP defaults to that mode when placed on it. So yes, you're not the first to think of this; it was practically designed for that purpose.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    The Touchpad actually has this functionality built-in. It's called "Exhibition Mode" and can be set to having a scrolling strip of pictures, widgets, a clock, etc. I don't have a Touchstone but IIRC the TP defaults to that mode when placed on it. So yes, you're not the first to think of this; it was practically designed for that purpose.
    While that would work great, it might struggle to work with it booted up on Android. However, if I know I am going to use it for the picture frame idea, I can just boot WebOS and use it like that. Gotta love the ability to dual boot things.

Now, to find a Touchstone for it as cheap as I can find the phone version (I doubt I will)..
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I've also got a CM7 partition and I'm positive that it's got something comparable. I don't have a Touchstone, but I do keep my Touchpad in a kickstand case all the time, so I usually sit it open by my bedside at night while it's charging and keep my homescreen up (with a Clock and Weather widget on the center). You might ask on this forum for app recommendations that can do what you want, since it's specially for android on touchpad users:
    HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    I've also got a CM7 partition and I'm positive that it's got something comparable. I don't have a Touchstone, but I do keep my Touchpad in a kickstand case all the time, so I usually sit it open by my bedside at night while it's charging and keep my homescreen up (with a Clock and Weather widget on the center). You might ask on this forum for app recommendations that can do what you want, since it's specially for android on touchpad users:
    HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
    I have been checking that forum out a bunch with the TP, plus with my rooted phone (thanks for the suggestion), but I think the biggest thing is if I can find the Touchstone. I guess, if I run the wire neatly, I can just plug it in and prop it up and have it do the same thing. And it would save me 40 bucks for the Touchstone..
    last night had the tp on the touchstone , the clock was on screen , and it indicated it was charging, this Morning it was dead and need to plug it in

has this happens to anyone else?
    You need to use the HP case with the Touchstone (or not have a case at all). A lot of the third party cases are too thick or whatever and keep the TP from charging on the Touchstone. There are other threads about this elsewhere on the site - apparently some of the cases went from working to not working after 3.0.4.

You do have to pay a little bit of attention when putting the device on the Touchstone. It has to be centered fairly precisely on the Touchstone, and the speakers need to be down or to the left in portrait mode or it doesn't work. Fortunately, it makes a little tone to tell you it is charging so you know it seated correctly. I just always listen for the little tone that tells me it is seated and charging before I walk away.

It isn't going to change your life to have one, but it is very nice not to have to plug it in all the time. You can just drop it onto the little easel and walk away and then know it will be fully charged and ready to go when you get back. When you put that together with the TP's excellent battery life, it basically means you can forget about charging it in regular, daily use.
    yeah the touchstone is really convenient and also may help the TP last longer(less wear on the usb port) I'm still on the fence about getting one myself but just can't yet bring myself to spend $50 on a charger device. Also don't really have anywhere to put it except next to my wifi router on my desk. Not sure that would be a good idea being it generates a magnetic field. Same problem putting it next to my lcd tv.
    I think all questions are answered. Personally I think everyone with a TP should have one.
    As crucialcolin (what a name) pointed out: I don't feel good using the USB every time. We had some reports of broken USB ports on all devices.
    TS doesn't load with the full power of the charger (less heat).
    Charging is enhanced since the pre: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...pad-users.html
    So in short: Dr.B recommends the touchstone for the TP.
    P.S. How much did you spend for the TP? Don't you think it's worth the 60 bugs?
    What other device do you know have wireless charging?
    I almost never attach a cable to any of my devices. And I have almost all of them.
    The future is wireless. And that is one thing palm did know early.
    well I caved in and bought a TouchStone. got it for $36 off amazon used including shipping cost. I didn't think it was worth it for $50-$60 especially when used with a $150 device(what I paid for my TP). Personally I think the Touchstone should have been priced around $30 by HP from the start.

The only advantage I see to getting a TS is reducing stress on the TP usb port and not having to constantly plug/unplug in the wall charger to the wall, a bit of pain due to its design and puts wear it as well. I would just leave it plugged into the wall all the time but I noticed it emits a high pitched squeal/hum when the usb is not connected so I'm not sure I trust it enough to do so. Seem to recall similar issue causing these type of power adapters to eventually catch fire a few years back. Wouldn't put it past HP to have made the same mistake.

As for the TouchStone I'm mostly worried about the heat it produces more the anything and its effect on the HP folio case since I have one of those as well.
    I have a bit of mystery warping near my power switch, but other than that, it's fantastic. All the time. If your charger is squealing, try different outlets. Even try it in a completely different location. For an a.c. adapter, that's a sign that either there's something wrong with the power going into it, or something wrong with it itself. If it squeals all the time in your house, but not somewhere else, then it's a problem in your wiring somewhere or something like that .. If it only squeals in one outlet, that's obv a problem with that outlet. If it does it everywhere, then you should call for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I waited for some time trying to justify the cost of the Touchstone - it's about half the price of the TP itself (or 1/3 in my case). I wanted one to reduce wear on the USB port, which seems to be an issue in terms of longevity. I ended up getting it from Walmart for $39 and I'm very happy with it.

I leave it on their, grab it when I need it and in the mean time I have Exhibition Mode doing its thing. The only reason I'll need to use the USB port now is to WebDoctor it or to load CM9 when it comes out for dual-boot goodness.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    well I caved in and bought a TouchStone. got it for $36 off amazon used including shipping cost. I didn't think it was worth it for $50-$60 especially when used with a $150 device(what I paid for my TP). Personally I think the Touchstone should have been priced around $30 by HP from the start.
    I checked all around for some lower cost ones, but was never able to find one. You are right, there is no way I am paying $50-60 for it. I only paid $70 for my Touchpad.

After a few more searches on Amazon, it looks like there are some used ones for $30, so might have to take advantage of that..

I just can't believe that the phone versions are $4, while they haven't discounted the tablet version at all. I guess that must be that the tablets actually sold, sure, it was a fire sale, but they still did sell a bunch of them. I would think they are holding off on discounting them until all the new tablet owners decide if they want it or not..
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I have a bit of mystery warping near my power switch, but other than that, it's fantastic. All the time. If your charger is squealing, try different outlets. Even try it in a completely different location. For an a.c. adapter, that's a sign that either there's something wrong with the power going into it, or something wrong with it itself. If it squeals all the time in your house, but not somewhere else, then it's a problem in your wiring somewhere or something like that .. If it only squeals in one outlet, that's obv a problem with that outlet. If it does it everywhere, then you should call for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Yeah my power outlet only made a bit of noise when the usb is part is not connected to the TouchPad or any other USB adapter that places a small load on the adapter. Its just the HP adapters that do it too(tried two separate ones). My Apple iPod adapter that I've used to use in the same outlet has always been perfectly quite. In fact i pulled it out again just to check. I should mention its not vary loud but very high in frequency. Its only noticeable when its quite as well since its in my bedroom next to my bed. Its just loud enough and at the perfect pitch to be annoying as well lol.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 12/18/2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Anyways onto the TouchStone I've been I'm actually quite pleased with it. When it showed up I decided to test it out by letting my TouchPads battery pretty much drain just to see how much heat it would generate and was surprised to find out it generates less heat then the TouchPad does during normal usage. Also noticed it prevents the slightly noticeable but annoying warping/squeal/hum that's emitted from the HP wall power adapters. My guess is it places a small constant load on the USB port all the time which keeps the adapter from resonating. Also so far it doesn't seem to cause RF interference issues.

The only negatives I see are not realy the fault of the TouchStone itself however if you have the HP folio case, as I do, it doesn't fit as well in the charger due to added bulk from the case. I wish the base of the touchstone a had a little bit of wider base/lip on it because it seems like it could easily be knocked off the charger with the case on. Seems like the TP could meet with an untimely death from a fall during a minor earthquake or desk bumping Surprised HP didn't think of that.

Also the flap on the folio case is a bit of an issue as it as it sags because there's nothing holding it up when vertical(portrait mode). Might not be good for the case over time. I've found a temp fix by placing a rubber band over the case when I put it on the charger.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 12/18/2011 at 05:49 PM.