Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By djgardn2
  • 1 Post By djgardn2
  1.    #1  
    I just got a new gift from a family member and its a Bluetooth Controller fully functioning for the TouchPad and/or Pre2.

The iControlPad!

It connects to the TouchPad/Phone in two ways:

HID Keyboard mode or iCade Mode.

It also works in many other modes like a mouse, joystick, gamepad ( not on WebOS though). Supports PC's and numerous smartphones.

All emulators I have tried work!

Some needed Bluetooth keyboard to bind extra keys not needed (up-left, up-right, down-left, down-right). Those angles still work with controller up-left, etc.

Plays well with n64 emulator also (your two buttons short but not needed for most games , also need to alter keyboard layout a little with a simple patch and it works great).

Even the "No Gravity" game works great (TouchPad only at the moment). A fantastic PSP game available in the HP App Catalog.

I've had it for two days now and like it a lot.

It has a Rechargeable battery and have only needed to charged it once when I first got it. Also the controller can be used to charge your phone using the 1360mAh battery.

I will load pictures and possibly YouTube videos if any would like me to and update this forum post.

Post here if you get one or already have one.
    If you like any of my patches or apps, donations are appreciated. PayPal Link
    All Donations go towards my college classes & I want to thank anyone that purchases my apps or considers donating to me.
    -- 12 patches & 40 save/restore scripts.
    -Apps-
    Paid:
    Days To Come, Days Gone By, Quick-Keys Keyboard, Days Till Christmas, Days Till Christmas HD, Days Till New Year, Days Till New Year HD
    Free:
    Night Light Timer, webOS Launcher
    Good to see this, I knew iCade would work... now we just need to get more games with configurable KB control. Then anyone with a lil knowledge could make these work.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Anything further to report on this controller?

I read some reviews that really made it sound like an incomplete or unfiinished unit, which may make it a fitting, but frustrating, partner for the touchpad. If I felt confident about it being the device that will soon allow me to play emulator roms with better control, I would almost certainly buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvz97 View Post

I read some reviews that really made it sound like an incomplete or unfiinished unit, which may make it a fitting, but frustrating, partner for the touchpad. If I felt confident about it being the device that will soon allow me to play emulator roms with better control, I would almost certainly buy one.
    I would say first thing to look at would be your specific software configuration needs... then go from there. At least that is what I have found when looking into iCade information.

The software needs to be programmed or configurable to the output of the iCade (or controller). I know iCade has an SDK and instructions for the keyboard commands it uses, the application then needs to be programmed or configurable to the commands.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  

I would easily rate this controller a A- or an A ( B + if you factor in the price). It simply works great. It is made by the same company/group that made the "Pandora" emulator game units ( I believe ).

The only downfall is the back L and R button placements located on the back instead of on the top like a super nintendo controller would have.

With the gameplay aspect, it makes everything extremely playable, Touching the screen is usually hit or miss, but the controller reacts flawlessly.

You can pair the controller in Keyboard mode so it acts just like a keyboard, so any game with Keyboard commands enabled can essentially use this. Pairing the controller in iCade Mode it will send out two letters for each command (left or up, etc) and would be specially coded to do so. Currently No Gravity is the only Game that works with the iCade mode, but all the emulators work great in HID Keyboard Mode.

Also, if anyone is looking for one, look over at Think Geek .com and they had them onsale for $60 and then you can find a $10 off coupon to use to make it $50 (last time I checked it was onsale).
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    So after a bit of a delay (ThinkGeek initially sent me some sort of phoney DS thing), I got my icontrolpad.

I am impressed with the build quality, but am totally lost as to how to get it to work with my TP emulators. I get how you hold down certain buttons to get it into HID mode, but that just seems to assign functions to the xyab buttons. Do I have to know how to alter code to get it work like a normal gamepad, or am I just not getting it?

I am afraid I have gotten in over my head.
  7.    #7  
    So after a bit of a delay (ThinkGeek initially sent me some sort of phoney DS thing), I got my icontrolpad.

I am impressed with the build quality, but am totally lost as to how to get it to work with my TP emulators. I get how you hold down certain buttons to get it into HID mode, but that just seems to assign functions to the xyab buttons. Do I have to know how to alter code to get it work like a normal gamepad, or am I just not getting it?

I am afraid I have gotten in over my head.
    What emulator are you trying to use it with?

I will post details on how to set the keys for which ever emulator your looking to use.

SuperNES will pair fairly easy. The N64 or possibly others may require a quick patch I can put together for anyone interested.

Here is SuperNES binding keyboard instructions:

You will want to connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the TouchPad and the iControlPad also ( they can both connect at the same time).

Once you have both the iControlPad and the Bluetooth Keyboard connected you will want to open the Super NES app.

Open any game ( as if your going to playing it) and then click the "?" (question mark) or the "=" ( equal sign) using the Bluetooth keyboard. Once you press '?' or '=' while inside a game it will then ask you to enter keys ( up,down,left,right,start,select, etc) enter them all as you would like, ( I looked at a real super nes controller to make it exact ). The Only keys you need to ignore is the ( up-left, up-right, down-right, down-left, and turbo).

When I say ignore I mean bind/set a different keyboard key for that letter ( say choose the letter 'u' or something not used by the controller) .

You will still be able to use this during game play the controller will react correctly for (up-left, up-right, down-right, down-left).

Also I talked with the NesEm HD ( Nintendo emulator ) developer and he will within the week or already has submitted a new update to support keyboard controls so the iControlPad will work for that also.

Let me know if I should re-word anything or if your still not sure about something. Or if your wanting to try a different emulator other that SuperNES I will looking creating a patch as soon as I can get to it.
    Many thanks!

I am still having a few problems with SNES. The "up" "select" and "start" buttons on my icontrolpad are not being recognized when I press them in order to set up my controls. (I paired it with my ipod touch and those keys do work properly.) Am I wrong in thinking I should be in HID mode (hold A while starting)? Does it matter if the icontrolpad is set up as a keyboard or "other" Bluetooth device?

I'll play with it some more today and see if I can figure it out. Can I use the same method for virtual boy advance?

I really appreciate you taking your time to help me with this and am hesitant to ask for more, but if at any point you get a patch working for N64 (maybe easiest to wait for the upcoming update), it would be great if you could share that as well.
  9.    #9  
    So when pairing the controller I set the device type as a "keyboard" (not 'other').

Possibly try deleting icontrolpad device from you bluetooth devices that are listed (when inside the bluetooth app). To delete slide your finger dragging the item off the side of the screen then select delete.

I tried to create a patch last night but unfortunately was unable to do so using the regular patch making program. I will be looking into other ways to create a patch.
    Up and running on SNES and absolutely awesome. Trying to play emulator games with iffy touchscreen response was getting pretty frustrating.

My thanks again to djgardn2. If this ever works for N64 or a PS2 emulator, my wii can officially be retired.
  11.    #11  
    You can now find the N 64 Keyboard Layout File and instructions how to manually load the file below:

Click Here :

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3282325

You can find it in the N64 forum, Post #575

Let me know how it works.
    All Donations go towards my college classes & I want to thank anyone that purchases my apps or considers donating to me.
    -Apps-
    Paid:
    Days To Come, Days Gone By, Quick-Keys Keyboard, Days Till Christmas, Days Till Christmas HD, Days Till New Year, Days Till New Year HD
    Free:
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Will these emulators work with Wii remotes & Sixaxis, or only with special controllers?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamalot View Post
    Will these emulators work with Wii remotes & Sixaxis, or only with special controllers?
    As of now the touchpad won't pair with non-keyboard bluetooth hid devices, including both of those, so it's not the emulators, rather the touchpad software (webOS's bluetooth stack).

The icontrolpad provides a work-around, it pretends it's a bluetooth keyboard & lets you map buttons to it as if they were keys on a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
    As of now the touchpad won't pair with non-keyboard bluetooth hid devices, including both of those, so it's not the emulators, rather the touchpad software (webOS's bluetooth stack).

The icontrolpad provides a work-around, it pretends it's a bluetooth keyboard & lets you map buttons to it as if they were keys on a keyboard.
    How does that work with analog sticks for things like N64 emulation? Aren't keyboard key presses digital, not analog?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Much as I like hearing about specialized accessories that are Touchpad compatible, I hope most people in this topic realize that your standard PS3 controller is a functional Bluetooth controller that is Touchpad compatible (at least in Android boot--must confess I haven't found reason to try it in webOS yet).

Also, as long as we've got app developers in here talking about compatibility, you think we might get some iCade support in the near future? I'm a little disappointed after getting one for Christmas to find that there are all of maybe three apps, across the entire iOS/Android/webOS spectrum that actually support this $50-100 accessory. The possibilities for this thing are endless in terms of the functionality in can bring to emulators, provided they simply encode the compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamalot View Post
    How does that work with analog sticks for things like N64 emulation? Aren't keyboard key presses digital, not analog?
    djgardn2's patch makes a number of N64 games very playable, but not all (because of the analog issue).

Also, great news for icontrolpad owners -- NESEM now supports keyboard inputs and has made it VERY easy to set up controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Much as I like hearing about specialized accessories that are Touchpad compatible, I hope most people in this topic realize that your standard PS3 controller is a functional Bluetooth controller that is Touchpad compatible (at least in Android boot--must confess I haven't found reason to try it in webOS yet).
    Doesn't work in webOS at this moment. BT stack is not supported.
    Does this work with CM9?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JASK0 View Post
    Does this work with CM9?
    I haven't loaded CM9 on my TouchPad and I haven't seen it been used on one ever either.

I would guess the controller would work, I don't see why it wouldn't.

From what I have read the controller is supported on official Android devices (haven't tested at all myself though to be able to verify if it does or not).
    -Apps-
    Paid:
    Free: